Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

darkman2 wrote: »
    Yahoo! streamer setting up now North of the Isle of man with a target for North County Dublin. Fingers crossed.

2AM for n co. dublin. but the streamer will probably be frightned off by the fireworks later as it stumbles into dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Supercell wrote: »
    Realistically precip will happen where there is fetch over the Irish sea - Isle of Man punches a big hole in that, which is why we have two distinct streamers tonight .
    I expect the south Dublin streamer to hopefully move a bit further down to mid Wicklow and here as winds turn more to the N. I can't see where central Dublin or north of Dublin is gonna get any precip tonight bar really light on the coast sleety/hail stuff.

It's on the way;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    I can't see where central Dublin or north of Dublin is gonna get any precip tonight bar really light on the coast sleety/hail stuff.

Don't poo on our parade! :D People do have dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Not every single operational run from every main model is going to be perfect for us.

I'd settle for one at this point :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Lets pray for rapid intensification of the streamer north of the isle of man..that should deliver a covering to most of dublin at least:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Plus to that, I'm getting edge stuff from it drifting by in the moonlight.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

19.45 radar showing it intensifying... Hopefully it hits us.

It's one model run and we don't have the ensembles yet. It's a bit premature to be calling it like that judging by the GFS and UKMO. Not every single operational run from every main model is going to be perfect for us.
    It's the ECM.
    The best one there is.
    It's done a major wobble.
    I don't mind it's FI wobble concerning though that is.
    It's just it deals us a rotten next 4 days with little in the way of snow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

francosp wrote: »
    19.45 radar showing it intensifying... Hopefully it hits us.

what radar you looking at? I only have met.ie up to 1930

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

inabina wrote: »
    what radar you looking at? I only have met.ie up to 1930

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Advertisement

umm...

Web_radar.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I guess after 2 weeks its game over for snow in Co. Meath, in the past 2 weeks this is what was achieved around my location:

Thursday 17th December - 1st day of cold spell.
    Heavy rain followed by a 5 minute snow shower that melted instantly due to soaking conditions followed by a hard frost and days of dazzling sunshine - frost continues for a few days

22nd/23rd December - showers came in along east coast and brought temperatures from -2C up to about 4 or 5C delivered mild wet muck through the night then back to frost.

Christmas Day - Heavy frost followed by cold rain at 0C, washed away most of the ice followed by a 3 day milder interlude.

29th/30th December - Over 48 hours of wet muck and stormy winds

31st December- 15 minute light snow shower then sunshine afterwards with no more signals of any showers with an end in sight to the cold snap in a few days.

Of all the times we've been let down in the past 10 years through mostly non-events this one has to be the greatest and most dissapointing waste of potential ever.

It's the ECM.
    The best one there is.
    It's done a major wobble.
    I don't mind it's FI wobble concerning though that is.
    It's just it deals us a rotten next 4 days with little in the way of snow either.

Chill out, relax, have a few beers and enjoy the snow. Im tellin yeh don't take that too seriously. Look at the UKMO and GFS. It's all good.

we want one of those yellow spots to come across dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

dm2 or anyone else think one of those streamers could hit south dublin? the last one missed me by about 2km.

Dan

snow plow wrote: »
    dm2 or anyone else think one of those streamers could hit south dublin? the last one missed me by about 2km.

Dan

Don't know yet. Waiting for next radar image.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

zenno wrote: »
    we want one of those yellow spots to come across dublin.

Look you have all ready had some in Dublin in need some in wicklow town Pleaseeeeee:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

Don't know yet. Waiting for next radar image.

ok,thanks :D

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

what is going on with that Rosslare streamer? it wont move onto land:confused:

Chill out, relax, have a few beers and enjoy the snow. Im tellin yeh don't take that too seriously. Look at the UKMO and GFS. It's all good.
    What snow?
    I've had nothing but rain with a few flakes this evening.
    I'm very chilled actually!
    Just I suppose realising like Gonzo what an utter nonsense this cold spell is.
    I'm not too terribly excited by a quick flurry and a cover on a car windscreen either.

I guess I wanted at least some of what the models were hyping up and I am now expecting one big backtrack preceded by some sleety showers and a long dry cold spell.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I ask again waiting for a reply as to when this crap cloud is going to move!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

sickened ,missed the eclipse, was it anyway good looking?
    Just a bit covered didnt seem spectactular from the photo.

yogidc26 wrote: »
    Look you have all ready had some in Dublin in need some in wicklow town Pleaseeeeee:D

negative dude i have not seen a bit of it at all in north co. dublin serious

inabina wrote: »
    what is going on with that Rosslare streamer? it wont move onto land:confused:
    wind direction and general stuff like that.
    The BBC precip chart was actually right for a change.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I keep trying to reply and express how p*ssed off I am that I am likely to miss out on snow yet again but can't find the words... hence just saying that.

Oh and...

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Think theres a streamer headed our way supercell. looks like it according to met.ie

I hope so, i think its the one the people in Sandyford/Blackrock/Bray are reporting about.

I remember when I was a whipersnapper of 17 getting drunk with my mates in Dun Laoghaire with our fake iD cards we went in to cold dry and came out to snowmageddon. Mother of all snowball fights! Buses, everyone, everything! it was a streamer than too, I remember watching the news the next day about Dalkey getting plastered and people going there to sleigh when most of the city got nowt.
    Lesson, find the streamer.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Pangea wrote: »
    sickened ,missed the eclipse, was it anyway good looking?
    Just a bit covered didnt seem spectactular from the photo.

partial eclipse is all it was. not great. you want a full eclipse of the sun by the moon full on now thats interesting. i remember in cornwall many years ago it was a sunny bright day and when the full eclipse happened it was pitch dark now thats an eclipse.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Gonzo wrote: »
    I guess after 2 weeks its game over for snow in Co. Meath, in the past 2 weeks this is what was achieved around my location:

That's pretty much sums up my experience too. I think we've just been very unlucky this time around. Feb 09 was better at my location, although even that amounted to only slightly more than a dusting. Over at Sandyford, where I work, it was more impressive and caused traffic chaos. Snow sure is fickle for Ireland.

Chin up. Hopefully we'll see something before the winter is out.

WEB_radar_200912311730.gif

damn couldn't get it in animation mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Damn,tried to post the video here but it wouldnt work!! :(, but, if any of ye have Facebook go to my page below to see secret, leaked footage of the RTE weather crew up in the Dublin mountains today!! :p

http://www.facebook.com/#/CroppyBoy1798?ref=profile

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement