Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

NE Scotland which should be well inside the cold air is reporting more rain and sleet showers than snow this morning. Is this what we're getting next?:(

Much quieter on here this morning - people must be losing interest. Don't blame them - nothing seems to be happening as it should!:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    NE Scotland which should be well inside the cold air is reporting more rain and sleet showers than snow this morning. Is this what we're getting next?:(

Much quieter on here this morning - people must be losing interest. Don't blame them - nothing seems to be happening as it should!:(

go here and you will see rain.. www.raintoday.co.uk and look up at ne scotland and you will be surprised:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm getting on and off light hail showers here, I imagine these will get heavier as the day goes on until the wind moves northerly.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

100339.png

Wow, quite a decent hail shower going, that little streamer is aimed directly here it seems.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

owenc wrote: »
    go here and you will see rain.. www.raintoday.co.uk and look up at ne scotland and you will be surprised:rolleyes:

It's showing sleet for anywhere near the coast but anyway what it's showing is not necessarily what's happening - it's only what it would expect the precipitation to be based on current conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Zero snow here and zero sign of any. Hopefully it stays that way

The showers here are exclusively hail at the moment, no snow or sleet or rain at all.

My front yard this morning..

webcam.jpg

same as yesterday here except the rain is showery and its warmer than at most points yesterday .
    A useless zero dp.

If this is the artic floodgates open...well it's certainly brought the floods :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Dare I say it. Quite a nice morning here. Feels relatively mild. Bluish sky. Hmmm. May venture out thus evening but the way this weather is going I could be snow bound or ice bound by then. We live in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

well i ost my internet with all the snow showers!

itsa nice dry morning down here, that north easterly really dried things up, much better day,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I had momentary 50% covering...of hail :)
    Temp drops to 4.7C, Dp rises to above zero
    If nothing else it'll help cool down ground

Meanwhile M2 5.9C Dp+0.1C at 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

arrived at work in connemara surrounded by all white mountains! air temp is rising, now 4.3c, warmest its been for over a week here! no sign of colder air, just warmer air. clear as well now

4.2C Dp 0.5C

Just show that a heavy shower will drop temp quite a bit, but will raise Dp quite a bit as they aim to meet somewhere in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Hello all,

I have a bad feeling about today, temps just not falling fast enough, it actually feels mild now

But I am really worried (For Dublin) that the winds will turn northerly before the Irish Sea has a chance to get going .
    I really hope I am wrong :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

3.2c DP -0.6c here now. Nice covering of snow to the tops only of 2 and 3 rock mountains.

moderate squally hail here

4/0

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

roryc1 wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling about today, temps just not falling fast enough, it actually feels mild now.

Dew points are (almost) everything, keep an eye on those. Dew point is -0.6c here atm - this is good (or at least a huge deal better than yesterday).

The Irish sea is starting up with a vengeance
    5mm hail
    Was 5.3C Dp -1.0C
    now 3.8C Dp+0.5C

We may well be in very good business later with 1-2C drop in temps during the day

roryc1 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have a bad feeling about today, temps just not falling fast enough, it actually feels mild now

But I am really worried (For Dublin) that the winds will turn northerly before the Irish Sea has a chance to get going .
    I really hope I am wrong :o
    winds will slacken on tomorrow and veer n or nw but are likely to veer e or ne again by monday so don't worry.
    There are also indications of a possible scandi high soon which would be bingo for the east [irish sea effect snow] as the continent is cooling rapidly and theres all that lovely very minus dewpoint air.

This set up is the epitome of a watched kettle :)

• Advertisement

Well yes, Dp rises quite a bit during showers.

Air temp will drop and Dp will rise and they attempt to meet towards the middle.

which matters in this transitional set up but it's academic if we get continental or scandi air.
    who cares if dp's vary between -8c and - 10 c :D

which matters in this transitional set up but it's academic if we get continental or scandi air.
    who cares if dp's vary between -8c and - 10 c :D
    Probably mean no precipitation...

Anyway we'll deal with that prospect when it is here.
    Meanwhile rain 3.4C Dp 0.8c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I reckon there'll be no snow until late this evening or tonight, and even then it will be al light affair , with a mere dusting at most at low level. Hail will be the order of the day. We need to wait until this afternoon for the temperatures at all levels to decrease.

Woke up this morning to no snow whatsoever. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

winds will slacken on tomorrow and veer n or nw but are likely to veer e or ne again by monday so don't worry.
    There are also indications of a possible scandi high soon which would be bingo for the east [irish sea effect snow] as the continent is cooling rapidly and theres all that lovely very minus dewpoint air.

This set up is the epitome of a watched kettle :)

Thanks for puttung my mind at ease, I just hope that kettle is plugged in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Morning All, no snow in Kilkenny. But according to the NRA the temp has dropped by more than a degree in an hour. I have no idea what this means, but i thought I would share it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

just looking at the met eireann site forecast will temps really get as low as -8/9 tonight? any more unforeseen troughs appear overnight? i want a nationwide event - i know there is something on saturday but it won't spread too far south.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Hail shower at 09.25 for 30 secs here in Dublin 5!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Wet Snow in Carlow

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »
    I reckon there'll be no snow until late this evening or tonight, and even then it will be al light affair , with a mere dusting at most at low level. Hail will be the order of the day. We need to wait until this afternoon for the temperatures at all levels to decrease.

Woke up this morning to no snow whatsoever. :rolleyes:
    Yeah the "streamer" thats gone into wicklow north of here this morning seems to be the dregs of the front rather than convection.
    I absolutely agree on the timing of any showers.
    I think what we are getting now is not even a taster but thats just a hunch.

@mothman-you may have missed,we lunatics made it quarter way up the military road last night.
    At that stage the snow falling line had retreated above 700ft but man was it a blinding blizzard.
    The phone lines were down on the ground with the weight of snow and ice stuck to them.
    The snow was knee deep on the road and goodness knows how deep the drifts were,we didn't venture off road :D
    We went as far as we could untill we met just a pure wall of snow on the road.
    There must be insane depths at the top of that road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement