Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

according to the latest weather data dublin has the best chance of getting a pickle of snow but thats really being generous. not looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Hmm, don't think it will snow in Dublin tonight. Clear and dry this evening, and still too warm. Temp seems to be rising rather than dropping :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Anyone in Skerries area confirm the sneachta ?

temp in dublin as they say right now is -1

temp in dublin now is -1

sorry double post ...the link went strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Some nice activity picking up now WSW of the Isle of Man. Something to keep an eye on for the next hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 qwaszx123

Snowing again in Glenageary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Temp in Carlow town -1.9c and DP of -2.8c..........a tad chilly out there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Pure snow here near Malahide - ground already white. Big flakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

A once-in-a-blue-moon New Year's Eve

For only the second time in nearly two decades, December will end with Earth illuminated by a "Blue Moon," the name given to the second full moon appearing in a single month.

For New Year's revellers in the Western hemisphere, the calendar will not quite have turned into the new decade when the perfectly round orb lights up the night sky.

Not since 1990 has the world had the opportunity to observe on a mass scale the compounded impact of a Blue Moon and bubbly.
    The double full moon phenomenon happens on average every 2.7 years, with the most recent in May 2007, and the next set for August 2012.
    This month, the moon was also at its maximum on December 2.
    Why Blue? For no particular reason, according to Space.com, a popular science website based in the United States.

"If there's been a recent volcanic eruption that poured significant ash into the upper atmosphere, it is possible for the moon to take on a blue tint," noted the site's editorial director Robert Roy Britt.

"That's not expected tonight," he added, as if by way of apology.
    It also turns out that the term "blue moon" is a misnomer that can be traced back to an editorial blooper 65 years ago in the normally irreproachable magazine Sky and Telescope.
    The original meaning was the third full moon in a season with four, a more common occurrence.

There is also a cocktail -- curacao, gin and a twist -- by that name, and a turn of the (20th) century expression meaning something absurd.

zenno wrote: »
    temp in dublin as they say right now is -1

That's very strange. Yes just checked Dublin airport says -1, but I'm just in and on the southside it feels 4 or 5. I've no thermometer unfortunately to tell what it actually is here, but my rule of thumb is if its not cold enough to make your hands feel cold outside, then its not cold enough to snow. Just not snow weather. Maybe theres some sort of strange microclimate effecting Dublin 6.

i like blue moon.

a_blue_moon1250259866.jpg

yogidc26 wrote: »
    Look you have all ready had some in Dublin in need some in wicklow town Pleaseeeeee:D

er.. no.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I am officially snow-jinxed. I was putting one of the kids to bed and just happened to glance out the window to see a light covering of snow! Obviously missed it falling... :rolleyes:

Good stuff though, nice to see some sneachta finally! And bodes well I guess for the rest of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Temp in Carlow town -1.9c and DP of -2.8c..........a tad chilly out there!
    Croppy the Wicklow Mountains are taking all our snow you got any dynamite???

well shiver me timbers it's snowing in swords dublin yeee haaaaaaaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Skies over me look totally clear. Freezing cold, just hope some of these showers find their way over here !

ill try and take a pic

zenno wrote: »
    i like blue moon.

a_blue_moon1250259866.jpg

That some picture zenno, you're quite the photographer!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

ALL our new year party visitors just arrived from blackrock with there cars covered in snow!!!!! im very, very annoyed we didnt get any!!!:mad::eek:

Dan

That some picture zenno, you're quite the photographer!! :p

glad ye like it.

Villain wrote: »
    Croppy the Wicklow Mountains are taking all our snow you got any dynamite???

I reckon we'd be better off just moving northward.....save a lot of trouble I think! :P

How come you're only reading 0c? Have you got cloud cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

snowing again in blackrock

snow is intermitent not sure if i spelt that right but snow is happening in dublin now. small clouds coming and going but it looks promising. in north co. dublin at airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭WorriedSick

Hi guys, around 2 inches lying on the ground here in Shankill, Dublin 18.. spoke to a friend of mine in Greystones and there is nothing... can snow be that localised??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I am officially snow-jinxed. I was putting one of the kids to bed and just happened to glance out the window to see a light covering of snow! Obviously missed it falling... :rolleyes:

Good stuff though, nice to see some sneachta finally! And bodes well I guess for the rest of the night.

Me too - light covering of snow ere in Lusk :pac:

Hi guys, around 2 inches lying on the ground here in Shankill, Dublin 18.. spoke to a friend of mine in Greystones and there is nothing... can snow be that localised??

it's only starting to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I reckon we'd be better off just moving northward.....save a lot of trouble I think! :P

How come you're only reading 0c? Have you got cloud cover?

A bit yea, but the FARS sucks in the air and updates every couple of seconds so it gets a very accurate and up to date air temp my old station.

• Advertisement

Towering huge cb's are visible off the coast against the moonlight here,they are building into massive yokes but following the radar they are not coming inland untill they hit waterford...!
    Lol thats sweet justice for the people down there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement