Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Dublin 6 still nada. Haven't had any precip of any sort since about it got dark. However that means the ground and roads are dry, so if anything does happen here, it should stick, at least breify before it melts away. Not so clear as it was, it has started to cloud over, so at least thats a start to have something that the snow can fall from.

But the winds are now northerlies at Dublin airport, so I fail to see how much of Dublin can get any more snow from whats bubbling up on the Irish Sea, unless it turns back north easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Check out Ireland back in December 2000!

misr_ireland_snow_lrg.jpg

OH god, i remember that week, pretty nice winter, travelled back to dingle that week in a transit van, pretty interesting sliding all over the place going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

Now that really localised!
    Looks like its going to be real hit and miss on the east coast tonight. :(
    Hi guys, around 2 inches lying on the ground here in Shankill, Dublin 18.. spoke to a friend of mine in Greystones and there is nothing... can snow be that localised??

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW 1st of the cold spell...
    :D:D

I think its localised in that Lucan aint gettin any either :)
    Most of the sky is crystal clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Towering huge cb's are visible off the coast against the moonlight here,they are building into massive yokes but following the radar they are not coming inland untill they hit waterford...!
    Lol thats sweet justice for the people down there!

Nothing here yet but we live in hope. Temp 0.9c and DP -1.4c.

Even worse... winds at Dublin airport now north westerlies !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Bren Jacob wrote: »
    Now that really localised!
    Looks like its going to be real hit and miss on the east coast tonight. :(

looks that way. the cloud formations are isolated so unless they accumulate together we will just get small bursts of snow. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

francosp wrote: »
    SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW 1st of the cold spell...
    :D:D

Yep. Got that too!:D Very light covering.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of snowflakes to report here! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

mad DIY wrote: »

My station is telling me the wind is coming from the NW also, well.......breeze rather than wind.

My station is telling me the wind is coming from the NW also, well.......breeze rather than wind.

Here's a question - How can the wind be north westerly when the precip radars are showing precip moving in a south westerly direction :confused::confused:

Yes they are Northwest here too...
    Who is jinxing the snow in the East again?
    If that stuff I see off the coast and they are fecking massive cb's got an easterly we'd be in business and mahem!

lol could this go any more wrong lol!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

winds have chaged you might catch the streamer now

[IMG]http://212.100.247.145/secure/cgi-bin/subs/advradarbuilder41.pl?region=;gfsdate=20091231;gfstime=12;gfsext=;rtime=21:20;typea=1000hpa Wind Vectors;typeb=;dozoom=;sx=0;sy=0;xw=759;yw=650;postcode=bt80;pcz=[/IMG]

burkieboy wrote: »
    winds have chaged you might catch the streamer now

[IMG]http://212.100.247.145/secure/cgi-bin/subs/advradarbuilder41.pl?region=;gfsdate=20091231;gfstime=12;gfsext=;rtime=21:20;typea=1000hpa Wind Vectors;typeb=;dozoom=;sx=0;sy=0;xw=759;yw=650;postcode=bt80;pcz=[/IMG]

Cool! psychedelic mannnn! :D

Mad, I'm not sure why that is, I'll have to pass that question over to one of the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Snowing in Malahide :D

Not very heavy, stopping and starting, but leaving light covering on dry ground. Cars looking a little dusty already.

Here's a question - How can the wind be north westerly when the precip radars are showing precip moving in a south westerly direction :confused::confused:
    There is only one hopefull answer to that and that is that a small shallow low is forming out there.

@ burkieboy The winds as of 2 mins ago were distinctly light NW about 2 to 5 mph here.Thats not going to blow in showers.
    The only hope is they keep building such that thye are so fat that they fringe the coast.
    They only need to get another 20 miles wider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Low level winds and winds above are different. Above they are still NE but are backing.

Looking at radar, you just want everyone in wales to do a big sneeze this way to blow the showers onshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

RTE forecast radar was better one big blob to get over the Wicklow Mountains and we are sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

absolutely beautiful here in Lusk - its like a winter wonderland :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

just got a heavy dose of sleet here in swords. small shower but they seem to be more prolonged as they happen...

Mothman wrote: »
    Low level winds and winds above are different. Above they are still NE but are backing.

Looking at radar, you just want everyone in wales to do a big sneeze this way to blow the showers onshore.
    M2 buoy at 9pm was NE.
    Here there is the tiniest of a NW [don't mind my aws wind thingie-where that is-it wouldnt pick up a breeze that light]

I can see a massive shower about 10 miles off Arklow linked in to the rest of the streamer,it might fringe the wexford coast on the way down to waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

ITS SNOWING

in sweden

The Eastern side of them are fat enough to hit the wexford coast south of courtown harbour.

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Well one of the snow showers made it as far as Glasnevin about a half hour ago and left a very light covering!:)

MUSEIST wrote: »
    ITS SNOWING

in sweden

YOURE BANNED!

only joking

:pac:

sss..ssss.sssSSSNNNN...SSNNNNNOO...SSSSNNNOOOWWWWWWWW !!!!!!!!!:eek::D:D:D

in Dublin 6!! The sneaky shower came and went while I wasn't looking, but it white out there :D

The Eastern side of them are fat enough to hit the wexford coast south of courtown harbour.

The Eastern side?:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

ragg wrote: »
    absolutely beautiful here in Lusk - its like a winter wonderland :pac:

Yeah it looks great. Only thing is, I think its more hail than snow. Enough there now though to build a hail-man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Please move a tiny bit north as it hits Ireland - it will batter North couty Dublin if it does

*crosses fingers*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement