Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

after all the patient waiting, dogged by that miserable front that plagued us on tue and wed, eventually, most of us seem to be happy campers. it has been a long road, 2009, its over now, may we look forward to a great 2010, snowbound till Mar 31 and heatwave thereafter!:cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

inabina wrote: »
    amazing the things u get away with this time of night!:D

your dead right. like i said it's a Giant frog throwing snowballs. well anywho. frosty like mad tonight. you can feel it with the heating shut down. but snow will spread itself accross the counties through the next few days thats for sure. theres still a few coming in ...

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    ITS A BOY!!!

Charlie was born this eve weighing eight pounds. Mothere and baby doing great. Coming home tomorrow night. What a day but all is well that ends brilliantly. Thanks to those who posted earlier asking. I was looking at boards in the hospital during the long day but did not get to reply. Thanks guys and gals.

Wolfe

ps. delighted to hear that so many of you saw snow :)

Congratulations!!!!! delighted for yourself and the missus!! welcome baby Charlie to the world and to Boards.ie!!!

ps. made reading through 40 odd pages of posts worth it for this post alone, no snow in Dromahair!! lol.....

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

zenno wrote: »
    your dead right. like i said it's a Giant frog throwing snowballs. well anywho. frosty like mad tonight. you can feel it with the heating shut down. but snow will spread itself accross the counties through the next few days thats for sure. theres still a few coming in ...

Web_radar.gif

can we expect this shower activity all day 2mor? its going to turn to the north isnt it? disaster.

The images here are a composite of data from two radars - one at Dublin Airport and the other at Shannon Airport. The shaded area shows the coverage of the radars that are present. Data is updated every 15 minutes.

Note: On some images a linear feature may be seen extending from Limerick towards Waterford. This is due to interference from a WiFi system. Occasionally other similar features may be seen extending from Dublin towards the South-east.

lol typical

weather is -3 in dublin airport. i'd say tomorrow eastside dublin will get a nice few flurries of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 willie mason

No snow near Waterford City. Typical. A bit of cold rain and a shmall bit of hard frost was the worse we got over the last two weeks. Haven't had a good fall of snow here in 15-20 years. I only ever got 2, maybe 3, snow days in my whole time at school from 1988-2001.

Waterford truly is the forgotten county! Even the weather ignores us!

No snow near Waterford City. Typical. A bit of cold rain and a shmall bit of hard frost was the worse we got over the last two weeks. Haven't had a good fall of snow here in 15-20 years. I only ever got 2, maybe 3, snow days in my whole time at school from 1988-2001.

Waterford truly is the forgotten county! Even the weather ignores us!

I disagree. it will come to ye. and it will come during this week. if i'm wrong i will eat my hat. and i will do it on live cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Web_radar.gif

Just WOW !! :D That tiny little shower over west Carlow has just given us the best snow cover since last Febuary. Amazingly heavy !!

Duiske wrote: »
    Web_radar.gif

Just WOW !! :D That tiny little shower over west Carlow has just given us the best snow cover since last Febuary. Amazingly heavy !!

excellent.

oh yeah here we go again. looking good for the east coast more snow i won't sleep until it blasts down.

nat00_weather.png

Occasional snow showers in east Leinster dying out later but isolated snow showers in the north and northwest becoming more frequent. Elsewhere dry and mostly sunny, apart from patches of freezing fog. Highest temperatures only -1 to +4 degrees Celsius. Winds mostly light, variable or north to northwest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's a lot balmier than I expected tonight. I want snow damn it! My 3 year old has never seen it etc.

nesf wrote: »
    It's a lot balmier than I expected tonight. I want snow damn it! My 3 year old has never seen it etc.
    mad mad blizzard continues here in south wicklow.
    It's just piling up.all night:D
    Hard to describe the intensity of it right now. but visibility is poor.
    Several inches at this stage here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I'm delighted for you :(:D
    Maybe I should try a bit of reverse psychology, but I generally don't do rants.

With a strong snow shield in my area, I never expect.

My 7yo got her first snow last Feb, 2cm and she went bananas, she'll be delighted with the half cm this morning and my son is well enough to enjoy this time as well.

Its all about expectations...

[shakes fist at it]meanwhile that damn shower just passed to south[/shakes fist at it] :p

Well sure but then you have to live in a lesser county. We all make sacrifices etc but that's not one I'm willing to make! :p

your wish will be granted...but.. it could be 1 hour away or 200 hours away but it's coming. i'm an optimist.

man take a picture and show us. you lucky person.

well the snow has stuck all over the place here in rivervalley swords and whether it snows or not later,,,it's still white everywere which is nice. went out for a short walk and it's deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

3 hour HIRLAM shows a good bit of precip on the east coast again, if the DPs stay good after 8am that could be a slight topping up:

3hr-rain.gif

Accompanied by a semi-optimistic forecast for today and tommorow for Leinster only:

Leinster
    Met &#201 wrote: »
    01 January 2010- updated at 06:00
    Today

Occasional wintry showers, with some snowfall, until early afternoon. Icy conditions persisting on untreated surfaces until sunshine develops. Light to moderate, northwest breezes; highest temperatures 0 to 3 degrees Celsius.

Tonight

Dry tonight with clear periods and slacker winds. Lowest temperatures -2 to -6 degrees Celsius, with widespread ice re-forming on untreated roads and pavements.

Tomorrow

Saturday bitterly cold again with temperatures struggling to reach 1 to 3 degrees Celsius. Sunny spells are likely however, although it may become cloudier for a time later with a few snow flurries. Winds light or moderate, northwesterly throughout.

Same forecast duplicated for Dublin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

And that pajero can take a rest today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You got out then? Good!
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Happy days for all ye dubs. Cold crisp dry night here in Donegal. Have fun in the capital. At least a pint is cheaper here.

zenno wrote: »
    your wish will be granted...but.. it could be 1 hour away or 200 hours away but it's coming. i'm an optimist.

Pfft, most of the country could be covered in snow and Cork city could still escape!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dolby

Do taxi drivers in Dublin get special snow/icy driving training because certain ones are f**king nuts on the roads tonight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What a wonderful night many of you have had

Looks.. interesting... A bare inch last night but my green soft grass is white and frozen once more...

Is there nothing in Donegal Town?

Ulster
    01 January 2010- updated at 06:00
    Today

Occasional wintry showers in the west and north, with some snowfall. Icy conditions persisting on untreated surfaces until sunshine develops; patches of freezing fog may persist also. Light, variable or northwest breezes; highest temperatures -1 to 3 degrees Celsius.

Tonight

Further wintry showers, some of snow, continuing tonight in the north and west but clear spells elsewhere. Light, northwest winds will freshen along northern coasts. Temperatures will fall to between 0 and -4 degrees Celsius, resulting in severe ground frost soon after dark. Widespread ice is likely where roads and pavements remain untreated.

Tomorrow

Snow showers will extend south to many parts of the province during Saturday and accumulations of several centimetres will occur in places. Sunny intervals are likely but it will stay bitterly cold, with moderate, northwest to north winds. Highest temperatures 1 to 3 degrees Celsius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Shame those showers die out before they can reach Waterford.Guess our snow shield is in fully working order.

Pfft, most of the country could be covered in snow and Cork city could still escape!

thats a fact. but i am an optimist. and not only that, it's looking good on the east side and especially north/north west. but is the rte weather always close or .... ? nope they never are. still looking at charts and sat's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv_wZQJYlo0

After a 10 minute lull,it's snowing hard again
    Huge thick flakes like all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Just back in from work, clondalkin to ranelagh took over an hour. Car spun and everything. There are no markings visible on the roads, including the naas road. The first snowfall has frozen solid. Also the footpaths are barely walkable. It must have slushed and froze again. Nearly went on my arse a few times.

God help the couple of girls on the walk of shame that I saw in their high heels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Sorry for the double post. Phone won't let me click edit... meant to add don't go anywhere unless its completely necessary today. So dangerous at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Had a little snow during the night, everything looks snow blasted, very pretty. Will take some pics at sunup.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well its -6c out and im almost certain that the temps wont rise above 0c so if anything comes its guaranteed to lie!!!!!! Do we have a chance of showers a few people were saying that yesterday but now i don't think so..... if any come will the showers just verify and come here later or what?

• Advertisement

novarock wrote: »
    Just back in from work, clondalkin to ranelagh took over an hour. Car spun and everything. There are no markings visible on the roads, including the naas road. The first snowfall has frozen solid. Also the footpaths are barely walkable. It must have slushed and froze again. Nearly went on my arse a few times.

God help the couple of girls on the walk of shame that I saw in their high heels :)

dude if you can't see the road markings just imagine the markings there. high heels and stuff got to hand it to the ladies. tough as ice. lol i couldn't even manage to make a snowman. i fell into my little pond i made a while back and am recovering now in the hot boiler. i can see how and why people crave snow. it makes the surroundings of where you are so different and deadly. looks great but it's seriously dangerous on the roads big time so take care dudes.

temp at the moment in dublin airport is -1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement