Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Significant accumulations
    The magic word !
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ :D:D

No snow in south donegal , just a severe frost.

snowed all night here pangea on and off-about 3 inches cover.
    It looks magical except if on the road.

I'm trying to get somewhere to host a piccie at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Oddly my drive is now thawed from 3 nights ago but the roads still have 6-7 inches on them. No explanation for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

out here on the Donabate/Portrane peninsula we got a fair bit of snow over the night, thats been mixed up with what looks like hail and is creating a very pretty but awful mess! It's also very very cold, the car says -3 by times.

Roads are in bad shape, the M1 is a nightmare

• Advertisement

snowed all night here pangea on and off-about 3 inches cover.
    It looks magical except if on the road.

I'm trying to get somewhere to host a piccie at the moment.
    Excellent , congratulations! :D
    I was wondering why everyone was so chirpy around here, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

-7.1 in ballinrobe this morning. car frozen solid from de-icing it last Night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

-6.7c here currently and frosty nearest station reporting -5c but the one down the road is reporting -2c and was reporting -4c ten minutes before is there a chance that station reacts to the sun because it is always a couple of c warmer than the meto one and it rises maybe 2c meanwhile the meto one rises 0.4c or something,. then at night it will plummet 3c in ten minutes down to -5c then rise again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Pangea wrote: »
    No snow in south donegal , just a severe frost.

Your going to be sick of snow by Tuesday :D Seriously though, chances are Donegal, Mayo and Sligo and the 6 Counties are going to see serious snow over the next 4-5 days, and possibly beyond.

Duiske wrote: »
    Your going to be sick of snow by Tuesday :D Seriously though, chances are Donegal, Mayo and Sligo and the 6 Counties are going to see serious snow over the next 4-5 days, and possibly beyond.

are you serious... i doubt it to be honest last week we had near sub zero daytime maxes and it never once snowed and it is the same today on the cold spell so i sincerly doubt it would be good though:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Do any of the experts know what we can expect next in north Dublin?

The snow is sticking, probably due to the hail and subsequent icing. How long will it last for? Will any more fall?

So many questions. Need to go out and snowball the kids !!

Malahide Road and M1 are lethal. Take extreme care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

There was a fair bit of snow last night here in south county Dublin. I'm close to Blackrock and there's a good accumulation, although it stopped snowing around 11pm last night and it doesn't look very deep at the moment.

Outside my house at the moment..

01012010016.jpg?t=1262339653

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

zenno wrote: »

temp at the moment in dublin airport is -1

-4 at Dublin Airport now, same as here rounded.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Now -1.9c here. Just out for a romp in the snow - useless for snowballs! 3.5cm on my usual garden table measuring point. Was out to the main road and unbelievably it has not been gritted (and its a national secondary route - the 'green' route) - an inch of compacted snow and ice.

Real nice start to the New Year and the earliest snowfall in the season since 2000. Does not compare to Feb 2009 when I recorded 18cms on my usual garden table measuring point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

a few f####n flakes fell here,i mean a few i can nearly count them on the bonnet of the car :eek:
    totally gutted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hipster2009

im in kilmainham and have guests that need to go home to carlow and dundalk whats the chances of them drivin safely or will they be here for another while????????? :confused:

i see aa reporting n4 closed and m1 poor

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Does not compare to Feb 2009 when I recorded 18cms on my usual garden table measuring point.
    Ah this was nice but a meek effort.
    If theres another 10 days of this ,your record will have chances to be broken.

I'm concerned that the easterly sunday will be a dry one due to cloud from the front down south and that it may be a thaw wind as a result off the warm sea.

Met eireann puzzlingly had us in north and northwest winds untill wenesday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

It's mad what snow does to most people :D, fcuk the recession, money etc when ya have stuff like this :) absolutely priceless, enjoy it while it lasts, take care on the roads and make sure you lot ask elderly neighbours what they want in the shops :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Temp 0.5c DP -0.9c Clear breezy day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Temp just dropped to -3.7C(now the overnight low), DP -4.0C, with 2.5cm snow and hail lying.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ah this was nice but a meek effort.
    If theres another 10 days of this ,your record will have chances to be broken.

I'd love to think so. ;)

-2.1c here now. Sun is being shaded by a beautiful big single CB to my east drifting down the Irish Sea. Looking at the radar, you might get a bit if that BB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Outside my house at the moment..
    I see you got sorted :)

The thaw has begun,
    +2.4C, quite a contrast to the -4 in Dublin.
    overnight min 0.0C
    Clear sky to west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

im in kilmainham and have guests that need to go home to carlow and dundalk whats the chances of them drivin safely or will they be here for another while????????? :confused:

i see aa reporting n4 closed and m1 poor

Based on my trip last night I would reckon Dundalk is doable but with care.

If nothing thaws (and it doesn't look like it yet) they should do it in about 2 hours. Just take your time.

Take a look at the Dublin City Council Traffic Cams, might help you plan your route.

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

owenc wrote: »
    Well its -6c out and im almost certain that the temps wont rise above 0c so if anything comes its guaranteed to lie!!!!!! Do we have a chance of showers a few people were saying that yesterday but now i don't think so..... if any come will the showers just verify and come here later or what?

patience young grasshopper;)
    you will see snow later today and tomorrow.

it looks like we(those of us further south) are in with a chance tomorrow) then it's back to a east and south east only affair- unless we get a really potent north easterly that delivers an active polar trough or three.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

rolling around in the snow on new years eve absolutely beautiful Happy new year to all of you:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

it looks like we(those of us further south) are in with a chance tomorrow) then it's back to a east and south east only affair- unless we get a really potent north easterly that delivers an active polar trough or three.

so could limerick see some snow today or tommorow, thanks

ok thanks hopefully this cloud stays to stop things from starting to melt even though its still -5.4c.. it can still melt here seen it melt at - 7c!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A cm of snow and the world falls apart.

No trains, no buses, no taxis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Significant accumulations
    The magic word !
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ :D:D

super. sligo, north west mayo, and a lot of donegal are going to get plastered again
    :D:D:D

although, let's just hope the showers become a bit more widespread than they anticipate. hopefully a trough or three - or even a polar low develops. the latter is unlikely to develop, but still no harm in hoping as long as the expectation isn't too high.

i can see cloud to the very far north west of me. have you had a shower yet Pangea?

i can get the smell off you from here:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement