Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

A few pics from this morning :-

Scarr looking suitably alpine in the morning sun

Snow plough out on Annamoe to Roundwood Road

Clouds near the coast looking towards Ashford

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

A cm of snow and the world falls apart.

No trains, no buses, no taxis!

any more coming, your accurate predictions of snow was 100% right! fair play.

time for a coup in Glasnevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

tony1212 wrote: »
    so could limerick see some snow today or tommorow, thanks

i'm not so sure the showers will make it that far. if we got a polar low you definitely would. however that's highly unlikely to happen today or tomorrow. hopefully at some stage during the coming days a potent trough will make it ways down over the country and not lose its load 25 miles inland:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

super. sligo, north west mayo, and a lot of donegal are going to get plastered again
    :D:D:D

although, let's just hope the showers become a bit more widespread than they anticipate. hopefully a trough or three - or even a polar low develops. the latter is unlikely to develop, but still no harm in hoping as long as the expectation isn't too high.

i can see cloud to the very far north west of me. have you had a shower yet Pangea?

i can get the smell off you from here:P

lol ur not far wrong, no shower yet in both meanings of the word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Very nice clear day today, it would make for a good day of hiking in mountains (hopefully maybe the weekend). Temps are currently -1.6 C and -1.9 C dp.

Some very thick ice on any bit of water out there as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Some photos from this morning:

Home:

fmm0zm.jpg

Local Lane:

qwwth3.jpg

Some Pheasants in a local field missed about 6 more

6p4yg0.jpg

Tullow to Shilleagh road at Liscolman turn off near Coolkenno

2mxrcwz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i'm not so sure the showers will make it that far. if we got a polar low you definitely would. however that's highly unlikely to happen today or tomorrow. hopefully at some stage during the coming days a potent trough will make it ways down over the country and not lose its load 25 miles inland:rolleyes:

well, if the models are correct, it give me great pleasure to say, you can disregard my earlier post!

as it looks as if a series of troughs and a shallow low, will move down across the country tomorrow. unfortrunately it's won't be a polar low though. obvously the north and northwest will do best but aeras south of this should see some snow over the next couple of days

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

well, if the models are correct, it give me great pleasure to say, you can disregard my earlier post!

as it looks as if a series of troughs and a shallow low, will move down across the country tomorrow. unfortrunately it's won't be a polar low though. obvously the north and northwest will do best but aeras south of this should see some snow over the next couple of days

Yup, and then veers east again for a nice dry feed...

Happy with the dusting this morning but I want 1982!!! Greedy I know :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Villain wrote: »
    Some photos from this morning

So close, nothing in Carlow Town except a heavy frost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Just another dry crisp morning in Disappoint-erford...:(

• Advertisement

Scarr looking alpine this morning

P1010623.jpg

Another view of Scarr

P1010632.jpg

Snowy Field

P1010619.jpg

We are not amoosed

P1010604.jpg

Road ahead may be slippy..

P1010597.jpg

More at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055784024

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

VILLAIN... nice pic.

qwwth3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Got about 1cm of snow / hail mix on the ground here in Swords. Sun is shining making it a really lovely morning. Haven't ventured out yet but the lack of a thaw suggests it's cold :-) Looking forward to a walk in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

An inch up here; sugar coating everything.
    Clearly too cold for more.

The tarp covering my wee fuel nest egg by the door is well sprinkled...

My hedge against the weather. :)

NB I heard a vehicle spinning and slithering nearby late last afternoon; must have been the post van as there are letters. He did very welll to get away.

Pangea wrote: »
    No snow in south donegal , just a severe frost.

Supercell wrote: »
    Scarr looking alpine this morning

Great pics Supercell.

What are your thoughts on getting up towards Glendalough? My car struggled in February 09 but made it, are the roads likely to be worse this time? Plan making the trek over the weekend or maybe Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

There is such a thing as a snow plough in Ireland..

Homers%20Snow%20plough.JPG

valley%20view%203.JPG

valley%20view2.JPG

More on the way ?

snow%20time.JPG

valley%20view%203.JPG

Let it come!

It was the fuel situation that was spooking me.

Duiske wrote: »
    Your going to be sick of snow by Tuesday :D Seriously though, chances are Donegal, Mayo and Sligo and the 6 Counties are going to see serious snow over the next 4-5 days, and possibly beyond.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Great pics Supercell.

What are your thoughts on getting up towards Glendalough? My car struggled in February 09 but made it, are the roads likely to be worse this time? Plan making the trek over the weekend or maybe Monday.

You'll be grand, the ploughs were out early clearing and salting the main roads.
    Just drive slowly and during daylight and you'll be grand. After dark, dont come near the place , its going to be a real hard frost tonight and tomorrow that will set in early. Will probably be dry now untill Sunday I imagine as northerlies are clear and sunny always here. Is lovely powder snow too, I imagine its really beautiful in Glendalough.

Supercell wrote: »
    You'll be grand, the ploughs were out early clearing and salting the main roads.
    Just drive slowly and during daylight and you'll be grand. After dark, dont come near the place , its going to be a real hard frost tonight and tomorrow that will set in early. Will probably be dry now untill Sunday I imagine as northerlies are clear and sunny always here. Is lovely powder snow too, I imagine its really beautiful in Glendalough.

Excellent stuff, cheers. Must get the camera charged so! Can't wait, loved it up there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I thought this Hen had got away on me but look closely:

169rfkh.jpg

• Advertisement

Enjoy it!

Yes, that is what my people in Canada are jossing me with.. Ah well...
    A cm of snow and the world falls apart.

No trains, no buses, no taxis!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What are the odds Waterford area getting snow? We ain't had one single snow flake this year!

Its sooo beautiful and rare to have still air, sun and snow, breathtaking.
    Days like today are the reason i moved to here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I'm in Kilmore south Wexford and we got a good covering of snow, it hasn't been seen here in years. roads will be a nightmare tho all over Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Just another dry crisp morning in Disappoint-erford...:(

I share your pain my friend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

This is amazing temps still -5c at 12pm! What's the record max ?

major thaw here now-over 3c

Side roads are in an awfull state

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Drove from Dublin to Newbridge this morning , The N7 is in a mess but my god its a gorgeous site on the way down ,

Purely spectacular, I know this weather brings hardship to some but it has brought me Joy , Im like a Kid in candy shop , Just got home and am going to grab the dogs then off up to the Curragh.

I will try and get a few nice pics although my digital camera aint up to much !

Temp is -2.7

Dp -3.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Sully wrote: »
    What are the odds Waterford area getting snow? We ain't had one single snow flake this year!

There is a slight chance we might get a shower tonight, but from looking at those showers that were developing in the Irish Sea last night they seem to fizzle out before they get to us. So its only a outside chance we will get anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

Rivervalley, Swords. Just been out for a little walk. Sun shining but snow staying. Roads and paths covered and compacted. Very icy underneath. No snow on the grass in the valley, really strange. Wanted to get a few nice pics. Can't upload yet, comp troubles. Will try later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement