Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Waterford roads are fine. Usual story with here, we get the most boring weather of all counties !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

-5.1c here currently and a bucket of water i threw half an hour ago has frozen already! i have to laugh at that eglinton station reporting 0c and ballykelly reporting -4c just down the road... is this station broken is it possible this stations can be affected by the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Just back from a walk around Bushy Park in Dublin, nice powdery dry snow, got the skis in the car so hope to get high enough to do some skiing, may be difficult as roads are very slippy, time to get winter tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

That's a fair amount of snow you got from those showers of the Irish sea BB, pity its thawing though as you say.

Still cold here with temp of -0.3 C and -0.6 C dp

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Someone make the sun go away, it's melting all my lovely snow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Met Office saying winds to turn back NE on Sunday with snow showers on Leinster coast again

That's a fair amount of snow you got from those showers of the Irish sea BB, pity its thawing though as you say.

Still cold here with temp of -0.3 C and -0.6 C dp
    It would take rain to get rid of it I'd say though as it's not thawing as much,the temp has dropped a degree.

Theres that lovely crunchy feel as you walk on it,it's very powdery.
    I'd say along the East coast every flake that fell settled.
    When the road refreezes in 2 or 3 hours,we all may stay in!

Villain wrote: »
    Met Office saying winds to turn back NE on Sunday with snow showers on Leinster coast again
    Yup thats a change on this mornings forecast.
    I am surprised that they used last nights ecm in isolation without reference to the ensembles when doing this mornings forecast.

New years night and all bar 2 or 3 of the forecasting team on the beer no doubt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So has the snowfest for the northwest been cancelled?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Does this met update then tie-in with talk over on NW of more widespread snow over the coming days for the UK? Or is that more East England specific rather than UK widespread, I realize a lot of posters there are more from the SE of England etc.

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    So has the snowfest for the northwest been cancelled?
    There mightn't be as much emphasis on it now pangea but the 0z ecm still has a number of occasions on saturday with precip in donegal

100101_0000_36.png

After that it goes Easterly but not as potent yet as it could be in my opinion,if it keeps going for a few days and advects air from Holland up to Denmark,it will get bitter.
    Dewpoints will be crucial and the m2 dp is currently sub zero,it better stay that way.
    It's actually got a lower dp than me at the moment!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Does this met update then tie-in with talk over on NW of more widespread snow over the coming days for the UK? Or is that more East England specific rather than UK widespread, I realize a lot of posters there are more from the SE of England etc.
    Well the flow on the latest ecm output would be traveling initially over Kent before coming here so maybe.
    Glasnevin have access to all the ukmo expertese.We don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Just fell out of bed, snow in Navan! Woot!

How are we fixed for more this afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Its lovely here in Naas, just took a walk to see what the N7 was like, there is only one lane open and even that is still white.

Are we expecting clear skies tonight ? If so its gonna be lethal tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Horrors!I turn the taps off in daytme; but the bathroom is all but non - functioning already, since around 1pm

Is the temp dropping that fast already?

Blue sky..

Far too cold for snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Back home in the midlands now after an overnight stay in Dublin. Lovely powdery fall there - about 3-4 cm's I guess, Tallaght area. Once we got as far as the Toll plaza on the M4 near Enfield - snow was virtuall gone, as I knew it would be. Just frosty and cold and clear down here - it is going to be a bitter cold week.

I see transport nearly ground to a halt in Dublin, the roads were really bad - what will happen when the really proper snow falls?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ulster
    01 January 2010- updated at 13:00
    Today

Mostly dry today with sunshine in most areas but bitterly cold; a few isolated snow showers and frost and fog will persist in some areas all day, Winds light, variable or northerly; max temperatures -1 to +4 degrees Celsius.

Tonight

More snow showers tonight and turning even colder. Widespread severe or very severe ground frost will occur. There will be little or no wind and this will allow patches of freezing fog to set in. Lowest temperatures -4 to -10 degrees Celsius.

Tomorrow

Saturday will be bitterly cold. Snow showers will become more persistent, with frost, ice and freezing fog lasting through the day in some locations. Winds will remain light and temperatures will rise above freezing only in coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Should this continued cold spell deserve new thread for today ?

a light dusting snow here -3c but there is no more showers coming so wheres all this snow is there a big band coming or omething?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

owenc wrote: »
    a light dusting snow here -3c but there is no more showers coming so wheres all this snow is there a big band coming or omething?
    Good question ,no snow here yet anyways.

I heard there was snow in Glencolmcille last night.

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Good question ,no snow here yet anyways.

I heard there was snow in Glencolmcille last night.

yea the bbc have a big band coming down in the early hours... did you get any? it seems to be very localised in town there ws very little snow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I posted a few pics from the curragh this afternoon in the pics section

100465.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63736028#post63736028

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Apparently the met office has changes its forecast AGAIN and is now predicting heavy snow for the North and East of the country tonight (bit) and definitely tomorrow and perhaps Monday.....they are so erratic....Lots os snow in Castleknock, Dublin...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kopp

Happy New Year everyone!!! :D Us dubliners have been very patient waiting for our snow and huzzah we got it!! nice amount too....anymore on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

ffarrell wrote: »
    Apparently the met office has changes its forecast AGAIN and is now predicting heavy snow for the North and East of the country tonight (bit) and definitely tomorrow and perhaps Monday.....they are so erratic....Lots os snow in Castleknock, Dublin...:D

Do you have a link for this? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

hey hunnies - happy new year.. WOW - WC is so spot on - We got plastered..I posted about 7 / 8 ish last night - was snowing ;an hour later it took 20min to get car up drive; was still snowing by 12pm & we did new years in falling snow.... Was fab.... Car was completely stuck so only getting home now . Took 20 min there to get up the hill - kept slipping back .... Just Fab... any more for us ??? Lovin this - good 4-5 cm i think ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Slimity wrote: »
    Do you have a link for this? Thanks

go to met.ie and the updated regional forecast at 13.00 which suggests snow for the East and the North tonight and tomorrow.:D

the met office is a very good weather forecasting programme much better than met ie if thats what your trying to say!:mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'd say thats down to the volatile nature of the weather rather than the mets inability to forecast!

Good news though, need a bit more on the extreme north of Dublin!

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I'd say thats down to the volatile nature of the weather rather than the mets inability to forecast!

Good news though, need a bit more on the extreme north of Dublin!

north and east here? ni or north east scotland?:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement