Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

inabina wrote: »
    childen in my garden stealing snow:eek:

:eek:

Kill them!

Literally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

inabina wrote: »
    childen in my garden stealing snow:eek:

That is a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

tried to kill one of them but they just ran away and give me the 2 fingers. awful behaviour. big grass patches now. will have to go out with a rake and smooth it all over.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

In line with the updated Forecasts from Met Eireann at 13.00 HRS, GFS 12Z does indeed model a band of wintry precipitation moving southwards across the country during early tomorrow.

In addition, it also models considerable convective development over the Irish Sea, associated with this Shallow Low & subsequent instability & has snow flurries & snow showers into many Eastern parts later tomorrow evening & overnight.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=36&mode=2

An interesting development, the exact track of which will be very important in terms of shower activity generation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met eireann is still selling tickets to the significant rollercoaster ride on monday night in the north
    These northerly breezes will bring further snow showers to northern and northwestern counties on Monday night, with significant accumulations there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Where I live (on Louth/Monaghan border 6 miles northwest of Ardee) must have some sort of impenetrable forcefield when it comes to snow. I live up on highish ground and not one single flake. Ardee got a wee bit of snow and it's down lower than I am!

Sux :(

Snowaddict wrote: »
    In line with the updated Forecasts from Met Eireann at 13.00 HRS, GFS 12Z does indeed model a band of wintry precipitation moving southwards across the country during early tomorrow.

In addition, it also models considerable convective development over the Irish Sea, associated with this Shallow Low & subsequent instability & has snow flurries & snow showers into many Eastern parts later tomorrow evening & overnight.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=36&mode=2

An interesting development, the exact track of which will be very important in terms of shower activity generation etc.

this sounds promising. Eagle on radio 1 at 12.53 talked about overall cloudier day tomorrow so lets hope it brings us something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

temperatures hoverring below zero since about 11AM
    all the snow turned to ice, lucky i dont have to go anywhere today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Im sitting here watching cars trying to get up my road they make it just pass my housse and then they slide all the way back again, great fun:D

Pangea wrote: »
    Met eireann is still selling tickets to the significant rollercoaster ride on monday night in the north
    These northerly breezes will bring further snow showers to northern and northwestern counties on Monday night, with significant accumulations there

Pangea,

While this is still quite possible, as Black Briar explained earlier, that outlook updated very early this morning was based upon the ECMWF 12Z Operational output from yesterday. It was later established that the Operational run was an ''outlier'' & did not match the mean or average trend of the entire ECMWF suite - that's not to say it might have picked up on a signal that could well redevleop on subsequent runs.

However, the 00Z guidance has a flow with a far greater Easterly/Northeasterly bias, certainly limiting shower activity in those regions to an extent, but still offering the potential for at least some snow showers, especially across Donegal developing in the flow.

Watch for updated outputs later to see what the trend is looking like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im hoping for an end to this cold spell by next Friday 8th January, got college exams from then onwards so really need to be there.

yogidc26 wrote: »
    Im sitting here watching cars trying to get up my road they make it just pass my housse and then they slide all the way back again, great fun:D

and not a gritter in sight. the country cant afford the grit or to pay the overtime:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Frost setting in rapidly again (not that it ever cleared).. -0.1c.

Welcome back Mark! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS looks good for early Tuesday morning.

bit of shower formation in northerly wind of coast of louth and could have a trajectory into dublin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There has been a bad freezing fog here since mid-morning, shows no sign of letting up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

A good 1cm of snow here after a shower lasting 20minutes which had large flakes 1cm in size hopefully this is just the start for tonight.

Current temp -4.7c
    max -2.3c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Stunning pinky sky to the east at the moment! :) anyone else notice this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The freeze is going to set in big time here in Newbridge , or so it looks

Temp is -1.9

DP is -3.1

both have been dropping for the last hour, It is looking like my first sub zero day here !

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Stunning pinky sky to the east at the moment! :) anyone else notice this?
    Yep stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Sky was amazing tonight.

12Z out to 180 hours still looking very cold

gfs-1-180.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

12Z out to 180 hours still looking very cold

gfs-1-180.png?12

Could this spell end up being the longest cold spell on record if this run is realized ?

No real breakdown in the cold on the 12Z GFS until past 300 hours which is so deep in FI that there's no point even looking.

francosp wrote: »
    Could this spell end up being the longest cold spell on record if this run is realized ?

UKMO to T+144 also excellent, as is GME/DWD to T+132.. Quite stunning output really, with bitterly cold weather projected in the immediate and medium term on this evening's output so far. Of course, this is an extremely complex setup and NWP guidance is always subject to change, however let's just say it's looking bitterly cold for next week at the moment, with a very favourable & unstable, easterly to northeasterly flow.

Lovely icicles now after the thaw!

I started a road conditions thread which hopefully will be a good idea rather than they being lost in this thread.
    Lets just say it's very hairy out there.
    Some roads are actually worse than I've seen them in a long time round these parts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63737666#post63737666

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

Just checked my weather thingies memory after misplacing it in my garden. Temp had fallen to -8.9c at some stage in Kilkenny. Freezing fog now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Freezing fog dropping down now in Naas... man its cold out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Seems to be more cloud forming out this way, are we likely to see showers this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Bit of a fog decending on Carlow town, temp currently at -2.1c!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement