Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Heavy snow here now. All sticking. +0.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looks like very cold into the foreseeable future per the uk metoffice - again the east and north doing well.[/B]

UK Outlook for Tuesday 5 Jan 2010 to Thursday 14 Jan 2010:

The middle part of next week and the following weekend will be cold in all parts. There will be some hard overnight frosts, with a risk of patchy freezing fog. Southern and western parts should be mainly dry and sunny, although there is the risk of some occasional wintry showers. However, wintry showers will be heavier and more frequent in the north and east where some significant falls are possible. There is also a low risk of a spell of wintry weather in the south for a time at the end of next week. The further outlook will continue much the same although it may become a little less cold. Some more persistent rain, sleet or snow might spread into the west or southwest later.
    Updated: 1139 on Thu 31 Dec 2009

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Do you think -10c or colder is possible in ni tonight?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Su Campu wrote: »
    The Isle of Mann seems to be having an effect in the formation of the showery lines reaching Meath, Kildare, and Wicklow. Looks like a type of Von Karman vortex setup, with convergence right at Dublin, beefing up the showers slightly.

Have a look at the SAT24 visual animation and you'll see. Here's a shot of what I mean

100352.jpg

Reading a book on weather at the moment and just this morning I was reading about atmospheric pressure and there was an image of what was called 'Bahaman Clouds' - are the clouds to the NW of Ireland of this type?

I can't find anything on a quick google search but they are described in the book as being a cloud pattern resulting from cold air following a low pressure system being drawn over warmer oceans...

Just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Proper blizzard here now, roads pretty much impassable.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Take a look at this long range forecast for Tralee. A low of -16 and a day highs of -8. Through all the 10 days, its scary stuff. Surely, that can't happen!

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Kerry/Tralee/detailed_long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Currently raining lightly here in north dublin

EDIT:Heavy hail with bits of snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Supercell wrote: »

lovely

But we got nada - tons rain & a warm 5.1 but no sneachta

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Lightly snowing in Newbridge at the moment :D

EDIT :Vert very light now , just barely spitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I wonder if those showers will make it over this far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

jenzz wrote: »
    lovely

Don't worry that'll fall in the showers:) now we play..the waiting game:p

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Any takers?
    Defcol wrote: »
    Anyone think well get some snow in the Navan area? We haven't had a flake since the Sunday before xmas :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Reading a book on weather at the moment and just this morning I was reading about atmospheric pressure and there was an image of what was called 'Bahaman Clouds' - are the clouds to the NW of Ireland of this type?

I can't find anything on a quick google search but they are described in the book as being a cloud pattern resulting from cold air following a low pressure system being drawn over warmer oceans...

Just curious!

I haven't heard that term before but I know it as Open Cell Convection, which as you say is a the result of a cold air outbreak over a warmer sea surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Great NASA Image of 2000 snow event !

misr_ireland_snow_lrg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

Heavy hail here in Dublin 13, just started about ten minutes ago, just as I went out to pump up my flat tyre, thinking it was nice and bright! Brrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Any takers?

I'd say a 60:40 chance of snow in navan

jenzz wrote: »
    lovely

It seems to be moving south, i bet you get blized within the hour, its really really heavy stuff, roads went fronm slush to white with a couple of cm in about 10 mins!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

A roasting temp of 5.6c here with a dp of 1.5c. Sun just came out. Thank god all the rain is gone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Leeside wrote: »
    Take a look at this long range forecast for Tralee. A low of -16 and a day highs of -8. Through all the 10 days, its scary stuff. Surely, that can't happen!

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Kerry/Tralee/detailed_long.html

thats almost impossibe. Thers no way that forecast is accurate.

trogdor wrote: »
    Don't worry that'll fall in the showers:) now we play..the waiting game:p

Im playing the waiting game since when the 18th ?? lol

But we got snow flakes in the harbour that night - that was mental - how did it fall in the harbour???

Wait till you see as soon as I leave the house with the hair done tonight it will bucket on me :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I haven't heard that term before but I know it as Open Cell Convection, which as you say is a the result of a cold air outbreak over a warmer sea surface.

Cheers, just interested having only read about it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Any takers?

Hard to say given that it's showers we're depending on but if you keep an eye on the radar animation
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    you should be able to see any potential shower that form over the irish sea and are heading your direction:)

See the effect of these showers on temperature :-

OutsideTempHistory.gif

It seems to be moving south, i bet you get blized within the hour, its really really heavy stuff, roads went fronm slush to white with a couple of cm in about 10 mins!

if not stick kettle on & we will all get a mini bus over .....

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

I'd say a 60:40 chance of snow in navan

So theres a chance...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It looks like the showers will die out for a time today but will really get going this evening and tonight with a higher chance of snow.

coamps-2-24.png?31-04

darkman2 wrote: »
    It looks like the showers will die out for a time today but will really get going this evening and tonight with a higher chance of snow.

I'll take that with a cherry on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Thanks for the NASA images, DominoDub. Very interesting. They certainly challenged my 13" laptop screen!

Those showers are heading due south now in wicklow as if a northerly has set in already :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

100355.jpgSnowing really heavy in Newbridge and sticking :D

Temp 0.9
    Dp -0.4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement