Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Just back from my run, thought I'd make it out before the little shower of snow hit, half way through the run it started blasting was delighted to be out in it.. returned home anyway and the place has a nice carpet of white over it will take a few pics..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Looks like Ireland will have a chilly start to 2010. Temp forecast for 0000hrs tonight

verportal.map?LAYERS=background%2Cec.Trykkfelt%2Cec.Temperatur%2Ccoastlines&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_xml&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG%3A41000&TIME=2010-01-01T00%3A00&BBOX=-1249.953058%2C6255.700439%2C0.989192%2C7506.642689&WIDTH=512&HEIGHT=512

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Temp dropping even though not much falling at moment.
    2.7C Dp0.5C
    Hail shower left ground white and any sleety bits are turning more to snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Quite pleasent here in Navan, very dry and mild with some sunshine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Sleety rain now here on the coast so things turning wrong side of marginal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Light snow now. Sun is out too.

Getting proper snow flakes now.. prev it was more like light hail ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I heard that some parts last nite got up to 4 inches of snow ,is that right?
    Or is it just chit chat? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks dry for the forseeable, apart from coastal flurries

Holy numchucks we're getting huge snow flakes here now check attached...
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :cool:

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    Temp dropping even though not much falling at moment.
    2.7C Dp0.5C
    Hail shower left ground white and any sleety bits are turning more to snow
    no drop here in air temp
    dp down from +1 to 0.3c air is circa 4c

Dull here can see the light showers to the north.

could you go into your user cp please and put your location into your profile :)

A simple thing like dublin 15 or near clane or something like that -thank you :)

new streamer developing in a line from holy head sw to Brittas bay in co wicklow.

It contains a train of small showers at the moment but I'm impressed at the length of the train ,it is about 90 miles long!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

You captured that snowflake well! Must have a good camera! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

Very short snow shower here in Swords, followed by shower of hail. Only lasted couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

just a little hail shower

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

bright and dry in Navan not too sunny as snow showers to my S.east blocking that portion of the sky no showers headed here yet unfortunately:( maybe later;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Belting snow here in Finglas since 7am this morning. A couple of inches on the ground now and it's -13/-5.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Belting snow here in Finglas since 7am this morning. A couple of inches on the ground now and it's -13/-5.6.

You're joking, right ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

is the Irish Sea ment to give way more snow shower development across the east this evening and tonight or is this as good as it gets?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Send it to Laois please. :)

Lasted 10 minutes or so then thawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Intermittent snow showers, temperature dropping to about 1.3C during them. Otherwise around 4C, so melting a bit in between.

It is quite possible at this stage that December 2009 will finish up being around, if not below, 2.0c below the 61-90 normal. Certainly temperatures in inland stations will achieve this easily. Up to midnight last (the 30th), the average temp deviation is running at 2.3c below normal at central locations. This is based on the combined deviation mean of Oak park, Claremorris, Casement, Mullingar and Shannon Airport.

An extraordinary month temperature wise, but I would be surprised if it actually finished being cooler than December 1981. More on par I would reckon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

So it all gets pushed forward again :(
    A two week cold spell and all I've seen is a hail shower and a flurry.
    The mountains looked more impressive in October 2008 than they do now!!
    I can't take this anymore :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Should'nt the dew point be lower than temp,,,,no;)

Temp taking a slight fall here now. Down to 1.7c. Dew point still hovering around -2c.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

It is quite possible at this stage that December 2009 will finish up being around, if not below, 2.0c below the 61-90 normal. Certainly temperatures in inland stations will achieve this easily. Up to midnight last (the 30th), the average temp deviation is running at 2.3c below normal at central locations. This is based on the combined deviation mean of Oak park, Claremorris, Casement, Mullingar and Shannon Airport.

An extraordinary month temperature wise, but I would be surprised if it actually finished being cooler than December 1981. More on par I would reckon. :)

is there a site for the national cet for ireland as a whole like the one on nw for the whole of the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Should'nt the dew point be lower than temp,,,,no;)
    He's winding us up!! I'm down the road from him and only had bits of hail temp +3:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think were gonna have to wait for the next cold spell in February to hopefully deliver some decent snow for the east, the rest of this cold spell looks very dry indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Rougies wrote: »
    I can't take this anymore :o

Dont do it Rougies!! You'll get snow sometime this winter, dont worry! It'll be worth waiting for!

:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement