Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppies

• 31-12-2009 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Are the vet bills dear with a puppy?

What vaccinations do they need? How many etc

Thinking of getting a puppy but not sure money wise what to do.:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Vets bills are very very high!!!!

Vaccinations cost between 45 - 50 euro and pups need at least two, micro chipping is also a must as well as worming, flea treatment, neutering, licence etc

Why not rescue a pup and there will be a basic donation to cover most initial costs. try <snip> or <snip>

But over the long term with food and unforeseen vets bills, dogs are not cheap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

If you get a dog, get pet plan insurance cover. we had terrible trouble with our 2 and honestly wouldn't be able to afford some of the operations they had if we didn't have pet plan cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I second what suziwalsh said - why not go the rescue route and have the rescue deal with vaccinations etc. Young pups are not cheap and there are so many needing homes in shelters around the country. You still get a cute little puppy but make a dontion to a good cause and it's generally a win-win situation for everyone involved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

there's plenty of pups and dogs/bitchs in the rescues, which will be a lot cheaper than buying a pedigree from a reputable breeder and most come wormed, vaccinated, neutered and chipped - a lot will help you out with advise as well

www.irishanimals.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Vet bills can be dear yes - depends on what they are being seen for.

Vaccinations are usually two lots, one before they're 8wks, and another lot when they're around 10weeks. (ages differ depending on when they get their first lot) Things like parvo and that are covered. Pups usually have their first lot before you'd get them (whether buying or rescuing) so the second lot may be in around the 50euro mark.
    Microchipping is a must - that can be included when buying/rescuing a pup, if you're getting it done yourself it depends where you get it done. If you get it done *with* neutering it can be around 85 euro altogether.
    License for a dog was €12.70 possibly gone up to €15, can be gotten at your local post office.
    Worming/Flea treatments are something that has to be done too. Flea treatments can be monthly or some last a couple of months depending on which you buy. Worming is done every few months and you can usually buy the tablets off your vet if you want.
    Food - again depending on the breed of dog (some larger breeds will eat more than a smaller breed) is another cost, but you can buy dog food in bulk say 15kg bags or whatever and thus not as expensive as buying 3kg bags at a time.
    Insurance is (I feel) a must - if anything happens to your dog and there's sudden vet bills etc, insurance is a life saver, literally. Because some operations are huge prices that most of us could never afford.
    Even my insurance has come into play with my pup when she hurt her paw, and again with my dogs needing fox mange treatment.
    Other expenses would cover collar/tag/leads/harness/beds/toys/bowls etc.

If you buy a pup - usually they come with first set of vacc's, wormed, sometimes chipped.
    If you rescue one - they can have their first/full vacc's, wormed, chipped, and neutering (will depend on what age the pup is you rescue).

A pup also requires a lot of time and patience to potty train and generally train so you must be willing to put the hours and effort in.

*note - any prices I've mentioned are just ballpark figures - different vets can charge different prices so always ring around to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Don't forget the sudden urge that can take a usually rational person over. It can cause you to buy all manner of unnecessary pet things every time you get within sniffing distance of a pet shop.

:D Willpower is very much required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I've an appointment with the vet in 3 weeks to get:

2 dogs spayed, wormed and boostered
    Another dog wormed
    A cat wormed and boostered.

Total price €465, ouch!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Don't forget that the dog will need booster shots every year, and should have a kennel cough shot once a year as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Deffo pet insuance is a must esp. if you have a limited budget.
    Depending on the size of the pup/dog food can cost around 10 euro a week for an medium adult.

Insurance costs depend on how much you paid for the dog, that's reflected in the quote. If you leave that part out then insurance can be cheaper but if the dog needs even one vet visit a year it can cost that much.

Other things are to consider with cost is, replacing chewed up furniture etc. safe puppy toys, crate, id tag, bowls etc.

Doesn't cost money but sleep is something that you might miss out on for the first few weeks and interrupted sleep for a good while lol.

Our last (middle) rescue pooch cost at the time 300 pounds (at the time) by the time she was 6 months old that incl. her vaccinations and spaying and microchip etc. that was 5 years ago prices have gone up since though.
    An average vet visit before they even give any meds can be around 25 euro but can be more depends on the vet.

Puppies are so much fun but do loads of reading up before hand and keep some money for puppy classes..believe me they'll keep you sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 amyjtyrrell

Hi all,
    Just wondering if any of you know where I could go to look at puppies. We have never had a dog before and I also have a one and a half year old so I would like to go somewhere that you can interact with the puppies as I don't want to get one and we end up having to give them away :-(
    Anywhere in and around the Dublin area

Thanks ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Closing this thread as it is 3 years old and a new thread has been started on the subject.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement