Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from England...

Options
  • 31-12-2009 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi, I'm originally from Dublin but now live in London and i am looking to come back for uni!

Just wondering what the commerce and history courses were like... in terms of teaching quality, job prospects etc...

also the social side of things! whats living on campus like?and whats the best accommodation to live in?
    I've read quite a few threads about people not fitting in and am kind of worried i won't make any friends lol!

Thanks, Eoghan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Commerce in UCD is very highly rated academically if those sort of things interest you. History would be one of the most popular subjects on campus there would be about 500 people in your lectures for that. The teaching for both is alright I think.

As for entertainment, college is what you make it. Force your way into societies and you will have the banter. Make sure you go on your class trip, trips abroad is where friendships become real. UCD has been the time of my life up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭7oakse

errlloyd wrote: »
    Commerce in UCD is very highly rated academically if those sort of things interest you. History would be one of the most popular subjects on campus there would be about 500 people in your lectures for that. The teaching for both is alright I think.

As for entertainment, college is what you make it. Force your way into societies and you will have the banter. Make sure you go on your class trip, trips abroad is where friendships become real. UCD has been the time of my life up to now.

Thanks for the reply! Would an arts degree in history and economics be respected as just a straight history or commerce degree for example?
    I've read a bit about arts being a bit crap and you basically become a librarian or a teacher!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm not doing Arts, I want to say that now.

It's my honest belief Arts degrees are more respected by employers than students give them credit for. However your question is purely "would the pure commerce one be better" well then I'd have to concede it probably is. As for pure history, it depends on what you go on to do. Some employers will want someone who they feel has a very focussed grasp of history, but more would probably be interested in someone with a more broad knowledge.

If an Arts student can advise better than me here, please be my guest.

Lastly I'd say Arts degrees give an excellent platform for a post-grad. If Economics and History is your calling, you have tons of options.

Advertisement