Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads recession

Options
  • 31-12-2009 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

I know its a recession and people liken it to the 80's, but does anyone get the feeling that once the ice has receded, we really are going to be back to the 80's with so many pot holes.

Most of the minor roads and housing estates were not gritted and the potholes/craters are showing already, even before it completely thaws with more snow promised.

I fear it will be a while to a General Election and even when it comes, there will be no money to promise repairs and we'll really start to see the 80's again, except this time with a smoking ban etc.

It was obvious that budgets were tighter this year on gritting but maybe spending more would have left more roads in a better state and made financial sense, never mind safer and the local economy better.

On a site note, I remember when the council workers used to have to shovel the gritt from the back of the lorry everywhere!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I agree with you about the potholes. I think that all the potholes will be filled within a few weeks even on back roads as these repairs dont cost very much but maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was finally out yesterday and yes, potholes all over; they need to change what they use.

What shocked even more was the state of the smaller roads after all this
    time; see my thread "here and there and in between"

And seeing the Ulster forecast now..

They need to get the army out. We desrve and need better than this.

Ulster
    31 December 2009- updated at 06:00
    Today

Bitterly cold, but brightening up with sunny spells. Scattered wintry showers, especially in coastal areas. Maximum afternoon temperatures 2 to 4 Celsius, with strong northeast winds at first, gradually easing.

Tonight

Bitterly cold and frosty, with further wintry showers of sleet and snow. Min 0 to minus 8 Celsius. Risk of ice and freezing fog.

Tomorrow

Bitterly cold tomorrow, New Year's Day, with frost, ice and any for clearing only slowly and lingering on in some sheltered places during the day. There will be some sunny spells, but wintry showers of sleet and snow also. Max. 0 to 3 C.
    Glenman wrote: »
    I agree with you about the potholes. I think that all the potholes will be filled within a few weeks even on back roads as these repairs dont cost very much but maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the roads round me have been gritted by locals with whatever stone sand and gravel people had to hand, i doubt potholes will be caused (particularly) by the stuff the council used. although irrespective of whether the roads are gritted the freeze thaw of the ice will cause potholes.
    and considering how little money donegal coco have i doubt will see a pothole fixing splurge once this weather clears.
    anyone know the number for reporting potholes ? my guess is that if enough people report them they have to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MrPint

Hello all,
    begs the question as to why everyone pays road tax:confused:. Ya pay for service and get crap in return, seems about right of the way things are done in this country and no one will do feck all about it. just sit back and accept it( who dares question the council Gods).
    aside from the bad weather the roads in the west and northwest are a disgrace, their layout/engineering are a shambles. Have driven through bad 60 to 90 degree bends that the road is slanting outwards, this can only help to cause accidents. especially when wet. who ever signed off on work like that should be before the courts at the next accident on these sites on charges of murder or manslaughter and the minimum.

happy new year all

MrPint

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

MrPint wrote: »
    Hello all,
    begs the question as to why everyone pays road tax:confused:. Ya pay for service and get crap in return, seems about right of the way things are done in this country and no one will do feck all about it. just sit back and accept it( who dares question the council Gods).
    aside from the bad weather the roads in the west and northwest are a disgrace, their layout/engineering are a shambles. Have driven through bad 60 to 90 degree bends that the road is slanting outwards, this can only help to cause accidents. especially when wet. who ever signed off on work like that should be before the courts at the next accident on these sites on charges of murder or manslaughter and the minimum.

happy new year all

MrPint

aaah now you know all accidents are caused by drink and driving too fast (easy way of getting out of it if you ask me)
    what the hell is inappropriate speed anyway.

anyway be careful on non N roads as there is gravel sand and stone covering a lot of these roads and they will be tricky enough when the ice and snow melts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Im in Nova Scotia at the minute and they have the same pot hole problem here, although maybe not as bad on the minor roads. It goes to -25 here at this time of year, and they say that it weakens the raod surface creating potholes, and the government doesnt allocate as much funding towards their repair here, as they do towards road repair in other parts of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

It's all very depressing, the roads were rubbish in the good times, so theres's not much hope of them being repaired now.
    Theres going to be a lot of damaged cars from now on. :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Does anyone ele think there is a close correlation between crappy roads and fatal road accidents?

The road death rate has been falling in recent years as all the new motorways have been rolled out. Alas, not for Donegal. And Donegal's road accident rate is well above the national average.

It can't be a co-incidence.:mad: Bad roads = accidents irrespective of driving habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Does anyone ele think there is a close correlation between crappy roads and fatal road accidents?

The road death rate has been falling in recent years as all the new motorways have been rolled out. Alas, not for Donegal. And Donegal's road accident rate is well above the national average.

It can't be a co-incidence.:mad: Bad roads = accidents irrespective of driving habits.

I agree about the condition of certain roads in Donegal. However, we all must learn to suit our driving habits to the roads we actually have and not the ones we wish we had or should have. This is especially true with the recession and the even worse road conditions that will be evident once the ice melts. If that means travelling at 70 or 80 kph when you'd rather do 100 kph, then so be it. As for careless overtaking, don't start me ... :(

Advertisement