Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Vent Draft

• 31-12-2009 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Now this is going to sound like a silly question, but im going to ask it anyway.

In my living room I have an air vent and last night I noticed that a gale was blowing through it, so I closed it over, but still there was smaller draft and also it was very cold.

Now here is my question, is there some form of insulation I can add into the airvent hole. The insulation would be breathable so the air can flow in and out, but it would prevent gales and would also reduce the heat flowing out through the vent.

This might defeat the point of the air vent, but something must be achievable ?

Comments

Is the vent feeding air for any gas appliances? it would make a difference to the responses, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

There is a gas fire in the room, which I presume vents up the chimney, but thinking more about it, it will need an air supply from somewhere, I guess this is what the vent is for.

I have also found this :

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Stadium_BM720_Black_Hole_Brick_Ventilators.html

You must leave the vent unobstructed, blocking it will effect the safe operation of the fire.
    The vent in the link would improve things as long as the free area matches the vent free area requirement for the fire, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

you could scrunch up some old newspaper and put it in the hole, this would reduce the draft but not block it completley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Smoggy wrote: »
    is there some form of insulation I can add into the airvent hole. The insulation would be breathable so the air can flow in and out, but it would prevent gales and would also reduce the heat flowing out through the vent.

Yes there are replacement wall vents that can be shut off in stormy weather. Google vent manufactures. There was a recent thread about this on the Construction forum.

Never block-up a wall vent.

Last night was very stormy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

if your vent is louvered and has the louvers pointing down into the room, you my have some success taking it off and turning it upside down. Pointing the draft to the ceiling. In this way you will still be fully venting the room. Just not your sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Ventilation is provided to rooms as part of building regs, each room must have certain amount of air changed per hour. Rooms like living rooms, kitchens etc might require more air changes, fires, cooking etc.

I would'nt block up an air vent, same I would'nt buy a new vent which allows temporary blockage, If I did, Duncan on TV would call round, carbon monoxide poisoning.

The only problem you have is vent location in relation to outside.

Chimneys have cowl's to prevent both birds nesting along with excess wind noise, might be best look at having some form of cowl attached to vent, outside, within building regulation.

Advertisement