Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If AT&T and O2 can't cope?

Options
  • 31-12-2009 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.slashgear.com/o2-to-spend-hundreds-of-millions-of-pounds-to-fix-network-3067156/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/29/o2_apology/
    O2 grovels for London network failure

We just...can't...cope

Some Mobile operators in Ireland have less dense cells and have many more fixed users on USB Dongles. These use far more data than an iPhone.

Mobile wasn't designed for Fixed usage patterns and can barely cope with increased Smart Phone, Mobile Gadget (Kindle or Nintento DS whispernets, sat navs) never mind Laptop users.

In early 2010 we need action to replace the failure called NBS and a good road map from eircom's new owners STT.

Most of all we need real Government action and a joined up plan for Fibre and the "last mile". Not more press releases about Intune or "trials" of their technology on Heanet.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Don't tell me the iphone did for o2 in london like it did for AT and T.

And dongles probably use even more data .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Typically 4 times more. Or up to cap for video / torrent users.

seen earlier on a USA site someplace
    Non-iPhone smart phone data contract 150Mbyte a month
    Average iPhone user 600Mbyte a month.

Home laptop/netbook users find the 12Gbyte down 3Gbyte up limits low. See midband forum.

My own observations and talking to other users:
    Non-video, non-torrent user about 1G Byte (2,000 Mbyte) a month.

Video viewing with iPlayer, RTE player & YouTube etc. About 30 Gbyte a month.

Un-capped Keen Torrenter / VOD watcher. About 1000 to 2000 GiByte p.m. (1 to 2 terabyte) i.e. more than 1000,000MByte, or nearly 2,000 iPhone users.

I have a 30 Gbyte 30 day cap. I removed one of my young lads from Internet as he was watching 1 to 2Gbyte video & comic strips a day. Normal usage for the other five laptop /netbook users here is about 300MiByte to 600Mibyte a day with occasional Gigabyte days if someone buys a game on Steam or downloads a new Linux ISO from Heanet.

Watching video isn't possible for a Family on a 30Gbyte cap. Even if Project Canvas is not Geo-Blocked in Ireland, RTE only needs to worry about UPC Broadband subscribers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Seeing as over half of Irish homes ...maybe even two thirds.....have a full free BBC service already from Astra2 and terrestrial I fail to see the point of geocoding Ireland out of it ....unless it is to save bandwidth :) It most certainly is not a broadcast rights issue.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

In relation to the suggestion that STT will do anything like replace or swap out the GBS is highly unlikely. They're simply another investment vehicle, albeit with backing/inclusion of larger telecom names.

Course, the people involved don't like hearing that. Singapore Technologies Telemedia is controlled by Singapore's sovereign wealth fund Temasek Holdings.

Lest we forget.

I was going to write something about pipe dreams, but that would have been outrageously puntastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Change would be good.

But I rather suspect 2010 will be "Business as Usual" in Ireland.

Happy New Year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Advertisement