Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Love Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Sera wrote: »
    Gerri May and your one from Six who's on the Den now, they're both from Limerick arn't they? And wasn't the band Zoo from here? he brought out a single with Poison on it. Sorry if I'm wrong there.

Years ago Gerri Maye was on the Den talking about the various events been run around the Country for "People in Need" and said "so I'll be heading down to Limerick on Friday for...."

Cue Zig and Zag cutting in and saying "Wow Gerri Maye is going to go to Limerick!!!! - Some People really are prepared to do anything if its for a good cause!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Raiser wrote: »
    Years ago Gerri Maye was on the Den talking about the various events been run around the Country for "People in Need" and said "so I'll be heading down to Limerick on Friday for...."

Cue Zig and Zag cutting in and saying "Wow Gerri Maye is going to go to Limerick!!!! - Some People really are prepared to do anything if its for a good cause!!!"
    Yeah but they're messers shure, even I think it's funny like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Fab*City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I lived in Limerick for 2 years. It is a lovely place and I should visit again. Also the people are very friendly and sound, the only thing is live 95 fm should stick to music and lost dog notices. Every morning they had a phone in asking what the rest of the country thinks of Limerick. I called up once and said they dont lie awake at night thinking of it. The chap thought I was taking the piss. There are a lot worse places.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Limerick isn't a bad place at all, it's some of the people that's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Kess73 wrote: »
    Jimmy Carr, long thought to be London born of Limerick parents, muddied the waters a bit by saying on the Graham Norton show last month that he is actually Irish born in Limerick, so if there is truth to that we can claim him also. :D

Jimmy Carr is Limerick through and through! Like myself Jimmy was born in London to Limerick parents and sepnt all his holidays back here. He claims his wit comes from his Irish heritage and he loves the times he spent in Limerick :)

I love Limerick for the sport and people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭RINO87

....summer mornings when your stumbling home over the shannon bridge, still half cut, and the river is so still its like glass, then you just stand there taking it all in!!

then you remember you still have a 20 minute walk to your bed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

panda100 wrote: »
    Jimmy Carr is Limerick through and through! Like myself Jimmy was born in London to Limerick parents and sepnt all his holidays back here. He claims his wit comes from his Irish heritage and he loves the times he spent in Limerick :)

I love Limerick for the sport and people!

Cheers for that, I had always thought that he was London born, like Andy Lee is, but he put doubt in my mind when he was on tv over the Xmas and said that he was Limerick born and not London born. He must have been on a wind up when he said the Limerick born bit as it was in a chat with Graham Norton, so there was some Limerick/Cork banter going.

I knew his parents and grandparents were from Limerick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭RINO87

I thought the thing about the guy from aphex twin being from limerick was just an error on his wikipedia page. I think i remember one of my lectures in college saying him and has mates changed it for a laugh!!

that said limerick does still have its fair share of magicians when it comes to electronic music!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Kess73 wrote: »
    Cheers for that, I had always thought that he was London born, like Andy Lee is, but he put doubt in my mind when he was on tv over the Xmas and said that he was Limerick born and not London born. He must have been on a wind up when he said the Limerick born bit as it was in a chat with Graham Norton, so there was some Limerick/Cork banter going.

I knew his parents and grandparents were from Limerick though.

Jimmy Carr was Limerick born, Hyde Rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

Sera wrote: »
    Gerri May and your one from Six who's on the Den now, they're both from Limerick arn't they? And wasn't the band Zoo from here? he brought out a single with Poison on it. Sorry if I'm wrong there.

complete nobodies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

if you have nothing else you cluth at straws...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

if you have nothing else you cluth at straws...

Oh someday I know we'll escape this vicious little city, you and me babe, I know it...

sweetie, i already did. but for you i'm not sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

sweetie, i already did. but for you i'm not sure...

You might have left it, but you haven't escaped it. If you had you wouldn't care about coming back to this forum. Me, I'm not bothered where i am, my happiness depends on me, not where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

i love limerick because of donkey fords,mickey martins and pery square!

You might have left it, but you haven't escaped it. If you had you wouldn't care about coming back to this forum.

That's true - it still haunts me....
    Me, I'm not bothered where i am

I'm not sure if this is something to be proud of.
    my happiness depends on me, not where I am.

Good for you - so I'll leave you in your little, happy world.

Isn't that "I love Limerick" thing rather an act of defiance and 'now more then ever'?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

neo2010 wrote: »
    I know, I know but the Limerick section is seriously depressing, seriously! I felt compelled to inject some happiness into the place. :pac:

Maybe because Limerick is seriously depressing?
    The city is a kip and people dont seem to care enough to do anything about it so just watch it get even worse during this economic slump and struggle to gain any recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Maruney wrote: »
    Maybe because Limerick is seriously depressing?
    The city is a kip and people dont seem to care enough to do anything about it so just watch it get even worse during this economic slump and struggle to gain any recovery.

I lived in London for 10 years and believe me there are parts of London that make our worst parts look like Wonderland. Where have you lived that makes Limerick so depressing incomparison? And I mean lived in, not a 6 month work or college stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Stop moaning!!!
    Love Limerick or hate it just post something positive or shut up!
    I love Limerick because it's where I was born and raised, I'm v proud of my City and my County, warts'n all....
    Plus as far as I know we have a pub for every day of the year!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I used to be proud of Limerick. Then The High Stool went majorly downhill, followed by closing up. Get rid of Trinity Rooms, Thomond Park (and with it the fascination with rugby) and the gangs and Limerick would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I love Limerick cos my Dad is from Limerick. I'm a Dub but spent all my holidays in Limerick. All my friends would be heading off camping in France or Disneyland or beaches in Spain for their holidays, while my brothers and I were packed up and spread around various relations down in Limerick for our holidays. Great memories.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

RINO87 wrote: »
    ....summer mornings when your stumbling home over the shannon bridge, still half cut, and the river is so still its like glass, then you just stand there taking it all in a piss!!

then you remember you still have a 20 minute walk to your bed!!!

FYP:D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

I lived in London for 10 years and believe me there are parts of London that make our worst parts look like Wonderland. Where have you lived that makes Limerick so depressing incomparison? And I mean lived in, not a 6 month work or college stay.

Dublin
    Manchester
    Amsterdam
    Toronto
    Melbourne
    Brisbane

All areas have their bad parts but they also usually have good parts and I dont just mean a rugby stadium, castle and a few scenic walks.
    There are always talks about improvments for Limerick, but for a city nothing is ever done to encourage people or business to the area, only new roads to help people leave quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

It's actually a city

Limerick Schitty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Maybe the city council should set up a website where members of the public can post suggestions on how to improve the city? (besides firing the council:D)

I am forever hearing talk about major plans but either it never happens or it happens at a snails pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ilovelimerick

Something to love about Limerick? theres loads!
    http://www.ireland.com/home/galleries/gallery/the-big-freeze/2
    and Limerick's very own web tv channel http://www.ilovelimerick.com

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

It's official - Limerick City Council has stolen my idea of ''I Love Limerick'' and I demand royalties for infringement. :pac:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/39I-Love-Limerick39-is-theme.6054255.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

It's official - Limerick City Council has stolen my idea of ''I Love Limerick'' and I demand royalties for infringement. :pac:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/39I-Love-Limerick39-is-theme.6054255.jp

You know what they probably have stolen it. You can be sure of it. Not like they can think for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

You know I love Limerick has been on the go for a few years right?!

Advertisement