Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie O'Dea Christmas gift?

Options
  • 31-12-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Whats this I hear about Willie O'Dea giving Maurice Quinlivan the most generous Christmas gift of all this year?

- Oh don't ask him about it, cause he might just deny it outright - perhaps out of modesty.......

God bless all in Fianna Fail - loving each and every one of you, your little odd ways and the inspiring things you do for the good of all......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

whats the present

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Who paid for the legal proceedings I wonder? I'd imagine it was quite costly seeing as this was not a straightforward and brief legal journey bearing in mind that Willie The Mouth had at some point denied some of the allegations?

Who paid for the damages paid to Maurice Quinlivan?

- Has the Taxpayer indirectly given him the funding for a new BMW 7 Series with plenty of change left over?

Just saw this over on the Politics Forum....... I'm praying that our elite Minister for Justice gets a little more familiar with the meaning of the word.....
    Beats me how Willie O'Dea thinks he is going to get away with giving false evidence to the High Court. This exchange took place in the Seanad yesterday.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspxF=SEN20100202.xml&Page=2&Ex=198#N198

Senator Eugene Regan: I wish to raise an issue of perjury. The Statutory Declarations Act 1938 makes it an offence to lie on oath. In addition, the Prevention of Electoral Abuses Act 1923 makes it an offence to malign or defame a candidate in an election. Perjury goes to the heart of the criminal justice system, as indicated by a judge in Limerick last year when a man was sentenced to one year in prison after he had withdrawn his evidence in a criminal trial. The judge said perjury and giving false evidence went to the core of the criminal justice system and the rule of law. In another case of perjury last year the judge said it was an attack on the system of justice.

I wish to raise an issue of a Minister lying on oath. We have become used to Ministers lying, but lying on oath is a new low. The matter concerns the Minister for Defence, Deputy O’Dea, who in a High Court case

An Cathaoirleach: The Senator is making a very serious charge.

Senator Eugene Regan: The case has concluded. On his own admission and in an apology to the court last December he admitted

An Cathaoirleach: Does the Senator want a debate on the matter? We are taking questions to the Leader on the Order of Business.

Senator Eugene Regan: I have a very specific question for the Leader.

An Cathaoirleach: I would like to hear it.

Senator Eugene Regan: I need to introduce the question and explain it.

An Cathaoirleach: There is no great need for a preamble to a question.

Senator Eugene Regan: The Minister categorically and emphatically denied that he had made an allegation about ownership of a brothel in Limerick by a candidate in the local elections. That is why Mr. Justice Cooke did not grant an injunction in the case - the court had been misled. When the journalist’s tape of the interview was produced, the Minister admitted he had made a false statement and apologised to the court. However, he only did so when he had been found out. I ask the Leader whether the Minister has been held to account by the leader of his party. I call on the Leader to make a statement on the matter because it is a new low and a very serious charge. In any other jurisdiction a Minister would be held to account.

An Cathaoirleach: I call Senator Corrigan.

Senator Eugene Regan: There is an issue

An Cathaoirleach: The Senator’s time is up and I ask him to resume his seat.

Senator Eugene Regan:
    of the Minister’s fitness for office in such circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

This incident demonstrates, if ever it needed to be demonstrated, that we have zero standards of ethics in government in Ireland.
    Willie O'Dea, a qualified barrister, gave false evidence in a sworn affidavit to the second highest court in the land, that's perjury, by his actions, he has shown utter contempt for the law of the land and the citizens of the State.
    In any civilised society, he would not have contemplated this action, he would have immediately resigned his Ministry, his seat, and apologised profusely to his constituents.
    The Taoiseach, a solicitor, by his failure to immediately dismiss him from Cabinet, shows equal contempt, his fellow cabinet colleagues, many of whom are from the legal profession, by failing to demand his immediate resignation are equally culpable.
    In contrast, in 2006 the Swedish Culture Minister Cecilia Stego Chilo resigned after admitting she did not pay her TV licence fee for 16 years.

So, are we surprised, no, not me certainly, we deserve what we get, and Willie will once again top the poll at the next election.

jbkenn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

arent i the unluckey one, a lifetime spent trying to get him voted out, then they shift me to limerick west, ah well it looks like there is at least one prime candidate for eviction here, plus willies sister is standing here in the next general election, interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

What's odd about this is it hasn't been put to him in the Dáil yet. Does anyone know why it's only been raised in the Seanad?

Copied and pasted from here

Willie O'Dea accused by Sunday Tribune

Michael Clifford - "Roy Behan gave false evidence to preserve his life. Willie O'Dea's false evidence was for a few grubby votes for his acolytes...."

POLITICS_FiannaFail_1347_02_display.jpg

Willie O'Dea: 'In any developed democracy, O'Dea's current position would hardly be tenable'

On 17 October 2007, Roy Behan was sentenced to a year in prison at Limerick Circuit Criminal Court. His crime was perjury. He had witnessed the knifing to death of his best friend Eric Leamy in 2001. He had given a statement to the gardai identifying Liam Keane as the culprit.

Keane's uncle Kieran visited Behan's house armed with a handgun and an offer of 30 grand. Take your pick. Give evidence and get a bullet. Withdraw the statement and accept the 30 grand. Behan didn't take the money, but at Liam Keane's murder trial in 2003, he retracted his statement. He wanted to live.

Judge Carroll Moran accepted the duress under which the 29-year-old was placed. However, the judge said, "perjury and giving false evidence go to the very core of the criminal justice system and the rule of law". The sentence had to reflect what was at stake.

Behan is represented in the national parliament by Willie O'Dea, but the two men live in different worlds. There is a prima facie case that O'Dea has committed perjury. In his case, though, the instruments of state charged with enforcing the rule of law have stalled. Unless something drastic happens, we must conclude that O'Dea is above the same law that demanded such high standards of civic duty from Roy Behan.

Last March, in the run-up to the local elections, O'Dea gave an interview to the Limerick Chronicle. He made serious allegations about the personal conduct of a Sinn Féin candidate, Maurice Quinlivan.

At the time, Quinlivan was believed to be making electoral inroads in the city's Thomondgate and Ballynanty areas, which theretofore had been an O'Dea stronghold.

Quinlivan sued, applying initially for an injuction to prevent O'Dea repeating the falsehood. O'Dea swore an affidavit, which was referred to in the ruling handed down by judge John Cooke.

"The defendant (O'Dea) candidly admits that he did indeed say to the journalist the quoted words "I suppose I am going a bit too far when I say this but I'd like to ask Mr Quinlivan is the brothel still closed?", but he denies "most categorically and emphatically" that he said to Mr Dwane (the reporter) that the plaintiff was the co-owner of the apartment in question."

The application for an injunction was refused. Quinlivan was elected and persisted with his defamation action. A discovery order was served on the newspaper, which handed over the reporter's recorded interview. Therein, contrary to his sworn evidence, Willie could be heard quite clearly alleging Quinlivan was a co-owner of the offending apartment.

On 21 December, O'Dea issued an apology to Quinlivan in the High Court for making false and defamatory statements against him. He also apologised for having denied making such statements the previous April. He paid the councillor's costs and an undisclosed sum of damages.

Quite clearly, the case opens the possibility of O'Dea having committed a serious crime. As part of the settlement, Quinlivan accepted there was no intention on the part of O'Dea to mislead the High Court, so he won't be making a complaint to gardaí. But Quinlivan is not a law enforcement agent.

No investigation has been initiated by gardaí, despite the reporting of what has happened. The DPP has not signalled that he wants an investigation. When Behan was suspected of perjury, a major inquiry was launched by gardaí and DPP, which led to a prosecution.

There are other differences between the situations in which the two men found themselves. Behan gave false evidence to preserve his life. O'Dea's admitted false evidence was in pursuit of a few grubby votes for his acolytes.

There is a serious public interest in pursuing this case. Lying is common in courts up and down the country. There is little fear of ever being prosecuted. And now, with the minister for defence apparently giving false evidence with impunity, the rule of law in courtrooms is destined to be further undermined.

At a political level, the impunity is even more outrageous. In any developed democracy, O'Dea's current position would hardly be tenable. But O'Dea is popular with the Leinster House-based media. There has been no serious inquiry from that quarter. The opposition has also let the matter pass. The only attempt to raise it was from Fine Gael's Eugene Regan in the Seanad, and he was shouted down.

He tried again last Thursday.

"In the United Kingdom, a former Minister, Jonathan Aitken, and Lord Jeffrey Archer were found guilty of perjury in separate libel actions. Here, a sitting Minister, Deputy Willie O'Dea… who by his own admission has lied on oath…

"Since no explanation is forthcoming, if we are to have any standards which are comparable to that applicable in other jurisdictions, the least the Minister of Defence should do is resign from office," he told the Seanad.

There has been no word on the matter from self-styled tough guy, Justice Minister Dermot Ahern. Last year, he felt compelled to water down civil liberties in order to preserve the rule of law. Yet now he has nothing to say about an incident involving a senior law maker that surely undermines the rule of law.

Perhaps Ahern might address the nation on who he deems should be subject to the laws of the land and who is exempt from prosecution. Brian Cowen might also let us know the base standards he employs in assessing the suitability of his ministers to serve.

In a developed democracy, citizens are all deemed to be equal before the law. Banana Republics are more discerning on such matters.

mclifford@tribune.ie

February 14, 2010

http://www.tribune.ie/news/editorial...-evidence-to-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Willie stay or Willie go?

I hope he goes, I doubt he will though.

What is really galling is that when a person from the wrong side of the tracks "forgets" the details of what they say under oath, they get sent to prison for perjury. The Irish Times had a decent editorial on the whole debacle today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0216/1224264551590.html
    Mr O'Dea's false statement

TAOISEACH BRIAN Cowen has a duty of care to the democratic system that goes beyond the knee-jerk protection of Fianna Fáil colleagues or the immediate concerns of government. That places him in an invidious position, because of the relaxed attitude adopted by his predecessors to ethical issues. But, at a time when public confidence in all forms of authority has waned, there is a need to promote high standards and to ensure political accountability.

After weeks of pressure from Fine Gael, Minister for Defence Willie O’Dea may attend the Dáil and explain how he happened to make a false statement, in a sworn affidavit, to the High Court last year. But only if Mr Cowen asks him to do so. This is a most serious matter for the Minister. But to appoint the Taoiseach as the effective arbiter of his behaviour complicates the situation considerably and may eventually create friction between the Coalition parties.

On two occasions in the Seanad, Fine Gael’s spokesman on justice Eugene Regan raised the behaviour of Mr O’Dea and questioned his fitness for Government. The controversy will be extended to the Dáil today by Fine Gael justice spokesman Charlie Flanagan.

Last year, the Minister denied making false allegations against a Sinn Féin councillor in a sworn affidavit. He withdrew the document and apologised to the court only after his deposition was shown to be false. Mr O’Dea said that as soon as he realised the mistake he “put his hands up” and apologised to the court.

In other jurisdictions, prominent people have been sent to jail for incorrect statements. Here, Fianna Fáil closed ranks. Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern ignored the substantive issue and described Fine Gael’s behaviour in pursuing the matter as “despicable”. Earlier, leader of the Seanad Donie Cassidy declared that the people of Limerick were fortunate to have such a capable representative. There is no question about Mr O’Dea’s political or ministerial abilities. What is at issue is his behaviour in maligning a political opponent during an election campaign and the legal and political consequences that have flowed from that action. As a solicitor, Mr O’Dea must realise the seriousness of the situation. If he does not, then Mr Cowen, who is also a solicitor, should be able to advise him.

This controversy is all about trust and accountability. Mr Cowen may be reluctant to engage in a Cabinet reshuffle because of possible destabilising effects within Fianna Fáil. If he fails to convince Green Party Ministers that the issue is being treated with the seriousness it deserves, however, they could review their commitment to government. Already, pressure is building. Labour Party leader Eamon Gilmore has demanded that Mr O’Dea should not only make a statement to the Dáil, but should answer questions on matters arising.

Under the Standards in Public Office Act, Ministers are required to observe the highest standards of behaviour at all times. In coming days, the public will judge whether that legislation is being taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Dail got suspened this morning due to heated comments over the Willie O' Dea antics.

Seems "honest" Willie is caught out yet again.

Yesterday he went on about how the Gardai were at fault as they had told him that the Sinn Fein fella owned a brothel. He went as far as to repeat this claim in the Dail, and to the national media.

Now today the gardai have come out and said that nobody in their ranks told O'Dea this and he has been challenged to prove it.

Seems it is just lie after lie with that chancer. Had to laugh at his comments over his interview with the Limerick Leader, which has printed in this weekend's edition the recorded comments that O'Dea said to their reporter. He claims that he has not told a lie, but that it was simply a mistake.

Funny how he has gone from never saying anything about the Sinn Fein guy owning a brothel, to saying he is misquoted, then when it turned out that the recording of the interview still was there he changed to admitting that he did say it, but forgot to put that in writing in court.

Then he tried to say it was something he found out from Gardai, which if it had been true meant a government minister was willing to use Garda information to discredit a person from another party.

And now today the Gardai are calling him a liar, and he is still spluttering on about how wrong it is for the other political parties to try and slander his name.

No doubt he will try to bluff it out as the man, a trained barrister no less, cannot see any wrong in not telling the truth to papers, courts or the Dail, and most likely believes he is above any punishment for it, even though other people have gone to prison in this country for perjury.

Then to top it off the leader of this country, a trained solicitor, says that he believes that no laws were broken.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

jbkenn wrote: »
    he has shown utter contempt for the law of the land and the citizens of the State.

No wonder so many other people do to,including myself. Legal system is a joke, its one law for the politicans and the rich and another rlaw for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

panda100 wrote: »
    No wonder so many other people do to,including myself. Legal system is a joke, its one law for the politicans and the rich and another rlaw for everyone else, and no law for the scumbags

added a little onto your post you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

hopefully it looks like some of us decent citizens will have something to celebrate before the night is over

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A copy of the single "Erase and rewind??":D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good riddance. It's just one embarressing moment after another with him. Hopefully the rest of his party are not far behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Looks like him blaming the Gardai last night and then the Gardai coming forward saying that he was telling yet another lie was the tipping point.

I hope they now follow up on his claims in the Dail that the Gardai were to blame, as it was just one lie after another with that excuse for a politician.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0218/odeaw.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Good riddance. Liked the way Maurice got a dig in tonight on the news about the Government doing nothing for jobs and the fact that 22,000 are on the live register in O'Dea's backyard.

Delighted that swine got what he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ignorant twat with a tash

i wonder will there be a backlash against the limerick leader from the die hards of FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Willie O'Dea Christmas gift ?

Hmmmm ... how about a big old fashioned slice of humble pie.

Trevor Sargent is gone now too seemingly as a result of Fianna Fail seeking revenge on the Greens, hopefully the whole lot will snowball leaving a pile of stinking Political Corpses in its wake........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Raiser wrote: »
    Trevor Sargent is gone now too seemingly as a result of Fianna Fail seeking revenge on the Greens, hopefully the whole lot will snowball leaving a pile of stinking Political Corpses in its wake........

ah yes, karma.

Advertisement