Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil servants & politicians: budget cuts of 15% have secretly been reduced to 5%.

Options
  • 31-12-2009 2:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

This makes my blood boil, and nobody but Sarah Carey (who I usually don't have much time for) in The Irish Times has pointed it out. Sly, deceitful and I hope, I really hope, that not a single union in this state accepts the pay cuts when the people primarily responsible for our current woes, senior politicians and civil servants, are refusing to take their fair share. And acting so slyly about it.

Remember those cuts of 15% in the budget, well they have slyly backtracked since the budget and are only going to give themselves cuts of between 3% and 5%.

Truly disgusting behaviour. They are not in any position to demand that the rest of us take huge cuts when they do this.

Where is our collective outrage at this massive two fingers to us, the public?

Article:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1230/1224261408243.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Rebelheart wrote: »
    This makes my blood boil, and nobody but Sarah Carey (who I usually don't have much time for) in The Irish Times has pointed it out. Sly, deceitful and I hope, I really hope, that not a single union in this state accepts the pay cuts when the people primarily responsible for our current woes, senior politicians and civil servants, are refusing to take their fair share. And acting so slyly about it.

That is a great point... some of those same senior civil servants would have been adivising the government to stoke the fire during the boom. Foolishly recommending tax breaks andthe like to inflate the property market etc. - and i'd bet they still got there bonuses for such poor advice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Why dont we email all the TDs saying we are disgraced with this u-turn and demand them to stick to the original Budget

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Well my blood is most definitely not boiling and I wont be emailing any TD to express a wish that somebodys pay is cut further just to suit the sensibilities of people who are looking for the usual Bogeymen outlined by the media as the source of our economic woe..this is just more of the same public sector bashing crap. Tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

This story was on the RTE 6 o'clock news the other day.

A kick in the face for the public and the lower paid public servants too. Im sick of the boys club at the top

• Advertisement

tororosso wrote: »
    Well my blood is most definitely not boiling and I wont be emailing any TD to express a wish that somebodys pay is cut further just to suit the sensibilities of people who are looking for the usual Bogeymen outlined by the media as the source of our economic woe..this is just more of the same public sector bashing crap. Tedious.

What pay bracket are you on then:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Well no its not, i'm a public servant and i had my pay cut. This is about fairness and the powerful looking after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Hootanany wrote: »
    What pay bracket are you on then:cool:

What I earn has nothing to do with it but I am not one of those affected by the subject of this thread nor am I earning anything even near by a long shot to what the people being discussed are getting.

WHat yer wan Sarah Carey wrote in the Irish Times was a load of general incoherent ramblings and there's a bit too much of people demanding that other people's personal incomes be cut going on. The cuts have been applied so I wonder how she would feel if somebody was advocating she had a pay cut?

What I earn has nothing to do with it but I am not one of those affected by the subject of this thread nor am I earning anything even near by a long shot to what the people being discussed are getting.

WHat yer wan Sarah Carey wrote in the Irish Times was a load of general incoherent ramblings and there's a bit too much of people demanding that other people's personal incomes be cut going on. The cuts have been applied so I wonder how she would feel if somebody was advocating she had a pay cut?

Why so vocal if it does not effect you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Where does it say the senior politicians pay cut has been reduced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As identified in post 2 by imme, there's already a thread discussing this here. Feel free to consider discussing it there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement