Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moment Of The Year

• 31-12-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

What was yours.................?

For me, there is only one moment, I have watched replays over and over. I went absolutly ballistic when this happened, then proceeded to almost crap myself for 5 minutes after.

Thank you Don Andreas

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The first thing that came to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

gimmick wrote: »
    What was yours.................?

For me, there is only one moment, I have watched replays over and over. I went absolutly ballistic when this happened, then proceeded to almost crap myself for 5 minutes after.

Thank you Don Andreas

Yeah, that was brilliant alright. A mixture of laughter and joy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ditto.

If we are talking about moments, i.e. instances and not including before or after, this is the moment of the year for me(Robbie Keane goal v France. I cant seem to post the vid from YT?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »

Yeah, that was brilliant as well!! :) That's very gracious of you!

Go on the Rafa!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, that was brilliant alright. A mixture of laughter and joy!!!

A mixture of robbery and robbery. :mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I went absolutely nuts for both of these.

I know we hammered them in the return leg, but if Ade hadn't got this goal I don't think we would have gone through, it helped the team relax and find their rhythm in the second leg. I'm also one of the only Arsenal fans who was sad to see him leave apparently.

I liked this one so much purely because you could see how much it meant to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

This definitely stands out for me, great moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

This is a weird thing to remember, and it's not even that special, but it sticks out in my mind.

I just love how natural the movement is, Andres makes it look like anybody and their mother would be able to pull it off!

Another one that is sticking in my mind that I can't quite find is his bit of skill in the Bernabeu, he does this simple turn, but the Madrid players are just so bloody sick of chasing shadows that they don't even bother. It just summed up that game perfectly, love it!

Found it!

Ya, I know I'm picking really ordinary clips here, but it's this stuff that sticks out in my mind tbh, anyone can talk about the beach ball, or Rafa having a mental break down. It's the little things that make football worth watching, like Andres Iniesta! :P

Here's another one that I loved is Zlatan's goal against Madrid. Not particularly special, but emphatic, and it was at such a perfect time in the game too!

(good quality clip to be fair)

Special mention to Iniesta telling C. Ronaldo to 'shut the fu*k up' in Spanish after he whinged over a free kick decision. :D

As you can see, I'm a bit of an Ibrahimovic/ Iniesta fanboy. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Poor season for us but this, the 1st part of the single greatest victory by an irish side in Europe.

The 2nd part a hell i would not wish on anyone even a rovers fan, having to watch/listen/be informed of the greatest victory by an irish side in europe ever via uefa text and sms from big joey in the ground.

i was in work at the time and when our 2nd goal went in i was nearly sacked :) when uefa removed it from the site and i went back to 3-1 i nearly cried :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cos I was at it and stayed until the end...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Rofl!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Utd lifting their 18th League Title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cos I was at it and stayed until the end...

Fcuk, that was last year...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The balloon at the Stadium Of Light and the analysis of it on RTE later on that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

This was the best moment of 2009.

How football should be played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Tough to choose between Macheda and Owen.....

I'd have to go with Owen because I wasn't at the Villa game... the former Liverpool player scoring a winner against the dastardly neighbours 6 mins into injury time after conceding in the 90 min..

Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Videos have already been posted, so I won't bother repeating them but:
    Owen's goal against Man City
    Macheda's against Aston Villa
    Robbie Keane's against France.

This hasn't been posted - Ronaldo's goals here. The first because of the commentary right beforehand, the second because it was arguable United's best goal last season:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Tough to choose between Macheda and Owen.....

I'd have to go with Owen because I wasn't at the Villa game... the former Liverpool player scoring a winner against the dastardly neighbours 6 mins into injury time after conceding in the 90 min..

Unbelievable.

These 2 for me too. Like you was at the derby but in the context of the whole season that Macheda moment was just unreal. But, Owen scored the winner in the most insane derby ive seen. Can't split em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

United supportter celebrating to Macheda's goal was hiliarous at the time it happened. 47 seconds in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    This definitely stands out for me, great moment.

For all the success and great moments that United have had, I really don't get the fuss ye all making on this.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    These 2 for me too. Like you was at the derby but in the context of the whole season that Macheda moment was just unreal. But, Owen scored the winner in the most insane derby ive seen. Can't split em

Yeah, if i was a Utd fan, Macheda would be the moment as well. I think that's the day you's won the league, realistically.

We'd had a great win the day before against Fulham and the Villa match really looked like a turning point in the title race. There were even Utd fans on the match thread that day when Villa were two one up saying 'that's it, the league is gone.' While that may have been slightly exaggerated, i do think Liverpool might have gone on to win the league, it was that pivotal a weekend

But of course, Macheda came off the bench (and i knew he would get the winner, i just knew) and the rest, as they say is history.

B*stards!!! :mad:

For all the success and great moments that United have had, I really don't get the fuss ye all making on this.

It was a moment when scouse hearts the world over sunk and you pretty much knew United were gonna win the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Arshavin scoring 4 at Anfield.

We only drew in the end, but the moment the fourth went in was absoultely amazing for an Arsenal fan. We had our Theirry replacement at last.

koHd wrote: »
    Arshavin scoring 4 at Anfield.

We only drew in the end, but the moment the fourth went in was absoultely amazing for an Arsenal fan. We had our Theirry replacement at last.

Em.......are you sure?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

darren-bent-watches-as-his-shot-hits-off-a-beach-ball-to-deceive-pepe-reina-and-give-sunderland-a-controversial-winner-937470047.jpg

darren-bent-watches-as-his-shot-hits-off-a-beach-ball-to-deceive-pepe-reina-and-give-sunderland-a-controversial-winner-937470047.jpg

I though Newcastle going down and you's staying up would be yours!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

In my mind anyway, we won the league with that goal. It was a big boost. We had been playing badly, and didn't play particularly well afterwards but we got results. There was a sense the league might have been slipping away until that goal.

That's just my opinion though, I don't know if other fans would agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hearing that Galway had equalised against Rovers and we'd won the league. There was a lovely little .gif with the goal and then fenlon being lifted by the players but I can't find it.

This will have to do :)

4060242835_ec579a4c75.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Aidric wrote: »
    Must have been a very quiet year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

*notices elephant in room

/leaves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Henry_Handball_Cheats_Ireland_Out_of_World_Cup_Place_xlarge.jpg

That was the moment of football in 2009, the whole world was talking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I haven't a clue what was being said, but that Maldini clip brought a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Hearing that Galway had equalised against Rovers and we'd won the league.
    And what a goal it was.

Des wrote: »
    Henry_Handball_Cheats_Ireland_Out_of_World_Cup_Place_xlarge.jpg

That was the moment of football in 2010, the whole world was talking about it.

Unless you have a DeLorean then it was 2009 brother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Andrea Dossenas goal in injury time at Old Trafford last March, absolutely amazing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

For me the torres goal against Villa. He has been struggling but just took one touch. Some player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Has to be this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

creggy wrote: »
    United supportter celebrating to Macheda's goal was hiliarous at the time it happened. 47 seconds in.

It's got to be this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Probably a bit morose, but when I think of soccer in 2009, I think Bobby Robson RIP:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Best moment of the year was ronaldo moving up to madrid (bigger club)....

.....oh and for gods sake people will ye get yeer p&%$^$£ out of the barca players a&^%&............this barca love in is making me nauseous tbh:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

peno.gif

Obviously

Pepe going wild...can't think of anything quite like that. A push, a kick, studs raked on the back, a knee, one or two stamps and a punch thrown at another player. Nothing unusual on a GAA pitch maybe but football :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Had to be the textbook straight from training goal from Lawrence/ Whelan vs Italy. Nearly hit the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

one word for ye lads comin from a manutd fan..........BARCELONA!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tis hard to know. Was at the Ireland matches in Bari and Paris and both stand out for very different reasons.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not many outstanding ones in the last 7 months, but this was still a good day.

steven-gerrard-kissing-the-camera.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement