Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabbatical Elections 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 blueharvest

I walked right into that one i'll admit,are you actually going to vote in this ?

he can't be too much worse than donnacha,he's a nice guy but a useless officer

Donnacha a nice guy?? sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I walked right into that one i'll admit,are you actually going to vote in this ?

It was too easy :p

No, most certainly not. I've made my position quite clear on the SU in other threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SU Bookie

With only an hour and a half left before the deadline closes, there is no word yet of any late runners. Slight whiff of a late rally from Stephen D'arcy launching an Ents bid but it seems unlikely. All the tipped rumours of people dropping down to Education or bumping up to President have so far failed to materialise. Still, there's time for things to change. At this stage it's resembling the last hours of this season's Transfer Window.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Danny Pender for something

Grimes wrote: »
    Danny Pender for something

It would appear that it's in fact Lisa Henry who is collecting signatures for Education. Think the Deadline for nomination forms was 5.00 so it looks like that's the only late declaration.

• Advertisement

Donnacha O' Suilleabhan has pulled out, meaning that for all intents and purposes Paul Lynam is the new UCDSU President, a RON Campaign not withstanding. Ditto Jonny Cosgrove (spelled it right this time) for Ents and Scottie Ahearne for Welfare. So, the two contested elections are...

Education

John Logue
    James Williamson
    Lisa Henry

Campaigns and Communications

Pat De Brun
    Colm Maguire

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jesica Fletcher

As far as I have seen, the SU elections take nice people, put them in a vicious race of backstabbing and dirty tactics and then they eventually turn their backs on those who supported them in the first place. Fun fun fun! It's pretty pathetic that 3 positions are uncontested... Only one person in the whole of UCD cares enough to have a go at president... Or Ents... Or Welfare...

As far as I have seen, the SU elections take nice people, put them in a vicious race of backstabbing and dirty tactics and then they eventually turn their backs on those who supported them in the first place. Fun fun fun! It's pretty pathetic that 3 positions are uncontested... Only one person in the whole of UCD cares enough to have a go at president... Or Ents... Or Welfare...

Why anyone wants to have a go is baffling to me tbh.

There are so many better things than the SU that that they could be doing with their time "to make a difference".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Why anyone wants to have a go is baffling to me tbh.

There are so many better things than the SU that that they could be doing with their time "to make a difference".
    true,but they do get about 50k a year,another year doin damn all as a college student and a gem on their CV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

true,but they do get about 50k a year,another year doin damn all as a college student and a gem on their CV

I think you've over-stated that figure?

• Advertisement

Which goes to show what a disgraceful organisation it is.
    Jev/N wrote: »
    I think you've over-stated that figure?

A friend is running for an SU position in DIT (don't worry, I give him plenty of abuse ;)) and he says that they are paid around €25k. Id imagine the UCD figures is closer to that, but who knows :rolleyes:

Yeah 50k is a bit of an overstatement. As far as I know its somewhere between 18k and 21k.

Also three positions uncontested? Democracy FAIL. Only 3 people in 22000 are bothered their holes running. If a society AGM had the same interest in their positions it would be classed as a failure. This will be the 4th SU election Im aware of and every year more and more positions are uncontested. I remember in my second year there were 5 for Ents and 3 for Pres. Disolve UCDSU NOW and rewrite the system of student representation. Also Lynham as president, sorry mate but id rather pin my money on George Lee in an endurance marathon.

Breaking News: UCDSU proves itself a waste of time by apathy among voters and people bothering to run.

Mega Fail. I totally would have kicked Lynhams ass. Donnacha, you should have mentioned this when I saw you last week and I would have rewritten the system. Me and George Lee .. to honest for politics and neither of us really gives a ****e anyway!

Jesus like, get over yere apathy. If ye said ye would have bet Lynam in an election go ahead and go for it. If ye say the SU is useless go ahead and try and change it if ye care. But don't give others a hard time for believing in Student Politics. Yeah ye can all say SU Officers earn 50k a year or someting ridicolous like that but ye really don't know the sacrifices people take. I am supporting a candidate this year cos I still believe that UCDSU makes a difference. As far as i'm concerned, all ye who have such a dispariging view of the UCDSU Elections should start yere own thread about how crap it is. I say for one fair play to Paul Lynam, Pat de Brun, Colm Maguire, Lisa Henry, John Logue, James Williamson, Scottie Ahearne, and Jonny Cosgrove for making a huge personal and financial sacrifice to put themselves forward. It's better than a lot of others who stand sniping at the sidelines would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

SU Bookie wrote: »
    I am supporting a candidate this year cos I still believe that UCDSU makes a difference.
    Bless your little cotton socks.

Jesus like, get over yere apathy. If ye said ye would have bet Lynam in an election go ahead and go for it. If ye say the SU is useless go ahead and try and change it if ye care. But don't give others a hard time for believing in Student Politics.

SU bookie, like yeah ok whatever. I like to think I made a difference in UCD especially as my years in college media where I tried to question the actions of the SU as a paid staff member of the union. I am sure that you are aware that media and journalism play a very important role in questioning the actions of ones ruling body. Do you disagree that people have not got the right to complain about where there money is going ? I never once met my class rep so they are useless.

Regarding me saying I would have beaten Paul. Well for me it would have been a massive sacrifice as it would have meant a MASSIVE drop in pay and serious downward move in the eyes of people who actually matter outside of UCD. Im not prepared to make that sacrifice for people who just want free booze and to be on the guestlist for D2. Thanks

You dont have to be an active member of the UCDSU to take a step back and see it's results. Which are very minimal.One thing I have noticed in UCD is that students are unable to see their own failings and the ****test event or useless balloon launch is seen as a massive blow for student rights. Student politics is laughable and your obviously blind to it. No offence. The lefties, who I disagree with on all matters incidentally, all gave up when they seen that the Union was no longer about students rights but students free booze and the SU gang.
    Yeah ye can all say SU Officers earn 50k a year or someting ridicolous like that but ye really don't know the sacrifices people take. I am supporting a candidate this year cos I still believe that UCDSU makes a difference. As far as i'm concerned, all ye who have such a dispariging view of the UCDSU Elections should start yere own thread about how crap it is.

If you want a view of how great the union is I suggest you take your thread to newswire. If you want a realistic view of what real students think of the union then keep reading.

I say for one fair play to Paul Lynam, Pat de Brun, Colm Maguire, Lisa Henry, John Logue, James Williamson, Scottie Ahearne, and Jonny Cosgrove for making a huge personal and financial sacrifice to put themselves forward. It's better than a lot of others who stand sniping at the sidelines would do.

Yes there are names on that list I think will do a great job. Personal and financial sacrifice. L - O ****ing L . Ok so lets break down this personal and financial sacrifice.
    • get Paid to take a year out of college
    • extend your college life without having to face the real world
    • free entry to clubs and freebies from promoters
    • innocent idiotic first years putting out because they think you are someone
    • free BOOOOOZE
    • a free blackberry
    • something to stick on the CV when you want to run for Fianna Fail in a bye election
    • your face plastered all over campus on a very unflattering poster
    • an army of sycophantic first years
    • did i mention the free booze?
    • no actual accountability. Cough Holly Irvine accounts scandal COUGH COUGH & well "Fingers"
    • USI junkets, class rep training. All essentially free holidays
    • A step ladder to the equally useless and shortsighted USI
    • See recent Fianna Fail candidate for job opportunities when leaving UCDSU
    • Jobs for all your mates
    • Creaming money off the SU accounts for ...... items (some people here know what I mean)

Yeah what a sacrifice it must be for these people :rolleyes: .

Financially they get paid so I dont see how they are sacrificing anything just gaining 20k

Personal to become self apointed celebs in UCD and stock up ones CV. Yeah jesus its not like they are giving a year of their lives in Haiti helping people.

Its hangers on like you SUBookie that are bought in with the ideals of "change" and "making life better for the students". Please give me one example of something GOOD the union did this year other than the time that Gary Redmond broke mandate and agreed to cut the health service for students before exec and council were elected. Surely thats an impeachable offence and the class reps will do their jobs. WILL THEY FUCK!Who can blame them, who wants to rock the boat when a future il presidente is threatening first year class reps in council. (OOoohh yes it happened). No more free booze and union nights out for you little first year.

This isnt the sidelines, this is where the reality is. Outside the SU on boards.ie people can say what they feel. Belfield FM / Observer are funded by the SU and the Tribune never seems to grow the balls, probably because of the big 1 page advertisement the SU buy every issue. If you want to hear about how great you are and how amazing the SU makes life for the students take it to Newswire as I said or stand up with all the budding sabats in council next year and give yourselves a round of applause when you are spending 45k of the students money on a piss up in a hotel in Blessington oh trashing a small village in courtown with 10 euro spending money per class rep thanks to your friendly Union. Oh sorry I meant "essential class rep training that cant be done in the Astra Hall like auditors training for free.... training". I have yet to meet a class rep that hasnt come back and said "that was ****ing deadly got totally wasted, pissed somewhere and scored someone I shouldnt have". I have never ONCE met a class rep, and i know alot of class reps over the past 5 years who came back and said "i learned how to be a class rep". Im very glad to know how a portion of my registration fee is spent well. Thanks lads!

And I also campaigned for a candidate last year who made it blatantly clear to her campaign team that she didnt know what she wanted to do with her life and figured the union would kill some time and get her in with the USI crew. Didnt really give two ****s about the students.

I know this because I was on the team.

You were saying something about sidelines there?

0_baaam.wide.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jesus like, get over yere apathy. If ye said ye would have bet Lynam in an election go ahead and go for it. If ye say the SU is useless go ahead and try and change it if ye care. But don't give others a hard time for believing in Student Politics. Yeah ye can all say SU Officers earn 50k a year or someting ridicolous like that but ye really don't know the sacrifices people take. I am supporting a candidate this year cos I still believe that UCDSU makes a difference. As far as i'm concerned, all ye who have such a dispariging view of the UCDSU Elections should start yere own thread about how crap it is. I say for one fair play to Paul Lynam, Pat de Brun, Colm Maguire, Lisa Henry, John Logue, James Williamson, Scottie Ahearne, and Jonny Cosgrove for making a huge personal and financial sacrifice to put themselves forward. It's better than a lot of others who stand sniping at the sidelines would do.

What financial sacrifice? There getting paid a decent some of money and considering most of these inept ***** couldn't get a job with there degrees anyway it makes your statement even more bizarre.

Jesus like, get over yere apathy. If ye said ye would have bet Lynam in an election go ahead and go for it. If ye say the SU is useless go ahead and try and change it if ye care. But don't give others a hard time for believing in Student Politics.

I'm just going to repeat myself from another thread:

Why would we get involved in something that we think is utterly useless? :confused:

Perfectly acceptable to complain about something that pretends to represent me. Especially when it is a defunct, wasteful, counterproductive, failed organisation.

Yeah ye can all say SU Officers earn 50k a year or someting ridicolous like that but ye really don't know the sacrifices people take.

Yeah, being paid 20k odd for a year in UCD's Student Union... a real sacrifice :rolleyes:
    I am supporting a candidate this year cos I still believe that UCDSU makes a difference.

You are, respectfully, extremely naive.
    As far as i'm concerned, all ye who have such a dispariging view of the UCDSU Elections should start yere own thread about how crap it is.

What's wrong with this one? A thread about the SU seems like a fairly good place to tell you how crap they are imo.
    I say for one fair play to Paul Lynam, Pat de Brun, Colm Maguire, Lisa Henry, John Logue, James Williamson, Scottie Ahearne, and Jonny Cosgrove for making a huge personal and financial sacrifice to put themselves forward. It's better than a lot of others who stand sniping at the sidelines would do.

Fair play to them for attempting to get an extra year in college, a lot of money, untold amount of first year tail, many subsidised piss-ups and nights out, and having to do fuck all good for it? You're right actually fair play to them, that's sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Except that I'm paying for that, so no, no its not better than lambasting them for wasting my money.

I'm probably going to be helping one of the candidates on the campaign trail,this year.Why? because he's a pretty nice guy and I would like to see him give it a go.
    Fair play to them for attempting to get an extra year in college, a lot of money, untold amount of first year tail, many subsidised piss-ups and nights out, and having to do fuck all good for it? You're right actually fair play to them, that's sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Except that I'm paying for that, so no, no its not better than lambasting them for wasting my money.

you really have no idea the crap we can get away with,it's scandalous they amount of drinks I've been bought out of the SU budget is in the mid-20's by now,along with all the guestlist spots and class parties.

It's a really sweet deal and if no one is going to stand up and stop them,then sure they're going to get away with it and it's going to continue[yes,that's an arrogant statement,but the SU is just a large clique in the population,so why not take advantage of people]

I'll admit that 50k is an over estimation,however that's ~20k in wages,free drinks,almost free food for the year,able to claim f*cking anything as an expense and getting the option of free accomodation,so yeah I think they come out pretty well from it

I'm probably going to be helping one of the candidates on the campaign trail,this year.Why? because he's a pretty nice guy and I would like to see him give it a go.

you really have no idea the crap we can get away with,it's scandalous they amount of drinks I've been bought out of the SU budget is in the mid-20's by now,along with all the guestlist spots and class parties.

It's a really sweet deal and if no one is going to stand up and stop them,then sure they're going to get away with it and it's going to continue[yes,that's an arrogant statement,but the SU is just a large clique in the population,so why not take advantage of people]

I'll admit that 50k is an over estimation,however that's ~20k in wages,free drinks,almost free food for the year,able to claim f*cking anything as an expense and getting the option of free accomodation,so yeah I think they come out pretty well from it

You're helping because you think he's a nice guy but you readily admit that you, the SU, and therefore this supposed nice guy, take advantage of the student body to fund your party lifestyle. :rolleyes: See the contradiction there?

None of you sound like very nice guys on the back of that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Pretty sure they dont get free accomadation, I think it's the option of cheaper, but not free accomadation.

• Advertisement

You're helping because you think he's a nice guy but you readily admit that you, the SU, and therefore this supposed nice guy, take advantage of the student body to fund your party lifestyle. :rolleyes: See the contradiction there?

None of you sound like very nice guys on the back of that tbh.
    I don't take advantage of it,it's what class reps do,the SU encourage it and I've never heard any complaints from the students taking advantage of it.just to clarify I don't organise our class parties,the other rep does.I do the less fun and no publicity kind of important stuff like getting a decent lecturer who can speak fluent english,stopping someone who's depressed from killing themselves,showing people what to do if they fail their exams,I've only been to one of our class parties,so yes I can say with good conscience that I don't take advantage of it for my party lifestyle,

if you don't want your money wasted by the SU,don't join it,the su levy isn't a requirement for attending college you know,you don't have to join.

and yes, A LOT OF THE SU are pr*cks but there are a good few who make a big difference in the world,take soon to be ents vp jonny cosgrove he does trojan work for SVP and the volunteers over seas.

I was saying it's scandolous the stuff we get,no one has to seek it out and the money is going to be used up anyway,whether you like it or not.

and for all the people on about how the SU should be dissolved,run a RON campaign and get in to a position where you can do something about it,being apathetic and quietly dissenting isn't going to make any difference in the long or short term.

hell,I'd run for president next year to dissolve the SU,if I had a snowballs chance in hell of winning

I was saying it's scandolous the stuff we get,no one has to seek it out and the money is going to be used up anyway,whether you like it or not.

Yes but on things like keeping the health center open.

Yes but on things like keeping the health center open.
    which gary had no legal right to speak for the student body,while the Councl had been dissolved and the class reps not nominated,the college pressured him into making a decision he didn't have the rights to and he did[like the tool he is]

what should have happened is that he should have told them he had no right[by the su charter] to make a decision effecting the entire student body without consulting the council for a vote or in a case like this I think he should have called a full student body referendum

see what happens when these sort of positions are left uncontested and a guy like him gets in,you may not like it but bad sabbats will dick over the entire student body at some point or another

The fact of the matter is you support an organisation that takes advantage of the student population. You wouldn't work for a company that takes advantage of its employees would you? Why support the SU?
    and yes, A LOT OF THE SU are pr*cks but there are a good few who make a big difference in the world,take soon to be ents vp jonny cosgrove he does trojan work for SVP and the volunteers over seas.

I know that, that's what puzzles me. Why don't some of the SU hacks continue their very admirable work for worthy, and very needy, causes and charities instead of wasting our money.

What Grimes said. Why not use it for something good, instead of funding your (the SU) alcohol consumption (as an example). Why not give that money to the SVP, Haiti, i dunno free pool in the trap for everyone, hell anything is better than what a lot of the money is spent on.
    and for all the people on about how the SU should be dissolved,run a RON campaign and get in to a position where you can do something about it,being apathetic and quietly dissenting isn't going to make any difference in the long or short term.

Unfortunately it is only within the last year that I have really discovered how much of an outrageous sham the SU really is. I am now in my final year and don't have the time to embark on any such campaign. I wish I could.
    hell,I'd run for president next year to dissolve the SU,if I had a snowballs chance in hell of winning.

I think you'd be surprised how good your chances would be...

Unfortunately it is only within the last year that I have really discovered how much of an outrageous sham the SU really is. I am now in my final year and don't have the time to embark on any such campaign. I wish I could.

Same Same. By the time you figure out what a waste of time and money it is your leaving UCD anyway and dont really care anymore.

If they replace the voters every year the voters will never get wise :)

Same Same. By the time you figure out what a waste of time and money it is your leaving UCD anyway and dont really care anymore.

If they replace the voters every year the voters will never get wise :)

Sly foxes...

I'm going to come back and do a masters so I can rock the boat :D

Im coming back with a gun. Historically most failing public representation organisations are replaced that way. Successfully.

Instead of literally pissing the money away on class parties and sabbats expenses and the likes, why can't that money go towards giving the clubs and societies a bit of a hand? If I had 20k to spend on my society! Clubs and societies contribute a lot more to college life because, no matter what your interest is, there is something for everyone! Or, as was mentioned before, give the free health care back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Instead of literally pissing the money away on class parties and sabbats expenses and the likes, why can't that money go towards giving the clubs and societies a bit of a hand? If I had 20k to spend on my society! Clubs and societies contribute a lot more to college life because, no matter what your interest is, there is something for everyone! Or, as was mentioned before, give the free health care back!

The grants some clubs got this year was a f****** joke. Whatever happened to the extra money which instead of being refunded to the students was given to clubs and socs seems from my own experience not to have materialised at all.

• Advertisement

While I do concede that some socities are obviously more in the money then others, as someone who has fought for her grant while poster bills built up I can tell you the socities are not rolling in cash. And I do know a thing or two about what grants were given this year. Meh, I'm just bitter that I work hard to to run events without making a loss while Felix the House Pet played to an empty student bar abut hey, ents is paying his bill, it's cool!

Advertisement