Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabbatical Elections 2010

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

While I do concede that some socities are obviously more in the money then others, as someone who has fought for her grant while poster bills built up I can tell you the socities are not rolling in cash. And I do know a thing or two about what grants were given this year. Meh, I'm just bitter that I work hard to to run events without making a loss while Felix the House Pet played to an empty student bar abut hey, ents is paying his bill, it's cool!

Im not sure if this is aimed at me but by saying the grants were a joke, I meant that some clubs got very little in the way of funding , I wasn't cribbing about high grants for socs. Fair play to them I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Their only sacrifice is taken educationally by taking 2 weeks off college to campaign which personally I think is hypocritical considering the positions they're running for.

I spent 3 years with the union and one year being auditor of a small society. When I was a union head I constantly faced abuse, both from outside the union and within it (Really stupid petty abuse inside it). When as a non class rep I questioned the actions of another class rep I faced more abuse and told that I wasn't a class rep and if I wanted to make a change "Then you should run for class rep and change things"... what a joke. There are some great people in the union, but they are few and far between. The one year I spent as auditor was so much more amazing. Although I was still put out by people in the union who believed they could use myself and the other small society auditors to get what they wanted done. Even Butler was nothing as bad as I'd expected after having to deal with Unioner's. You just have to imagine him in his underwear and it makes it all worth it... mmm

PS if anyone wants rid of USI, collect a few hundred signatures, run a disaffiliation election with the exec elections, make posters saying "USI costs €100,000 of your money", it will probably pass without any more work and then watch USI crumble as their largest delegation pulls out. And at least if it doesn't you'll see a huge number of USI officers campaigning in UCD promising us all kinds of silly things that you'll never have seen before so sure whats the harm.

I think running on the promise of dissolving the union wouldn't work. However running on the promise of downsizing the union would. Get rid of Welfare and Campaigns, make them part time. Keep the getting in free to clubs (this doesn't actually cost the union anything) but get rid of all the stuff that the union actively pays for... hoodies? If people are only in the union for what they can get out of it then supplementing them with union paid trips isn't doing anyone any favors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Butler.... really? Martin Butler mabey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Grimes wrote: »
    Butler.... really? Martin Butler mabey

I only wish I had realised earlier the pro's of being an auditor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thedarkfox

Hey, found this group on facebook, think its worth an add, its campaigning for RON to win the elections in favour of the wasters we normally get. Could be worth a try, they won before!
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=301395754057

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmm USI thing is interesting. Get rid of it?

Advertisement