Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai Prawn Curry

Options
  • 31-12-2009 3:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Thinking of doing a thai green curry with prawns for this eve. Any good recipe suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I don't know what other people do, but this is a recipe that I learned from my Indonesian friend.

For the paste:

In the blender put 6-8 whole green chillies, 6 fat cloves garlic, a strip of lemongrass, a lump of root ginger (peeled), 5 shallots (or half a large onion), 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, and a splash of oil. Blend together to form a smooth green paste.

I usually use chicken, which you can't really overcook in a curry or stew, but your prawns can be overcooked, so don't add them until a few minutes before the end.

In a wok, gently fry the paste for a few minutes. Add a can of coconut milk and stir to form a rich sauce. Allow to simmer and reduce to your liking.

A few minutes before serving, add a large handful of basil leaves, your prawns, a couple of tablespoons of fish sauce, the juice of one lime, and a bit of sugar to taste. Let your prawns heat right through, then serve with basmati rice.

Edit: or buy some paste from a jar, mix with coconut milk and hey presto!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I don't know what other people do, but this is a recipe that I learned from my Indonesian friend.

For the paste:

In the blender put 6-8 whole green chillies, 6 fat cloves garlic, a strip of lemongrass, a lump of root ginger (peeled), 5 shallots (or half a large onion), 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, and a splash of oil. Blend together to form a smooth green paste.

I usually use chicken, which you can't really overcook in a curry or stew, but your prawns can be overcooked, so don't add them until a few minutes before the end.

In a wok, gently fry the paste for a few minutes. Add a can of coconut milk and stir to form a rich sauce. Allow to simmer and reduce to your liking.

A few minutes before serving, add a large handful of basil leaves, your prawns, a couple of tablespoons of fish sauce, the juice of one lime, and a bit of sugar to taste. Let your prawns heat right through, then serve with basmati rice.

Edit: or buy some paste from a jar, mix with coconut milk and hey presto!

Thats a decent paste, but I think this type of curry would really go better with jasmine rice. Also, if you can, use thai basil instead of normal basil. If you cant find any, maybe just use corriander instead.

Advertisement