Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless question and smtp email question

Options
  • 31-12-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'm connected to a upc wireless cisco modem/router using windows wireless management.

To connect I used the password on the back of the router. However, I want to use the Intel wireless software (3945abg) but when I try to set this up I get a configuration failed message.

upc.jpgupc.jpg

On the second screen, I am unable to type in the password on the back of the router so I paste it in; I can type numbers in this box though.

On the third screen, in the password (key) box a different combination of numbers/letters comes up each time I tried to this setup.

(I've removed my ssid number)

EMAIL QUESTION.

I'm using thunderbird for email but I'm unable to send email using smtp.upcmail.ie.

Thunderbird has set port 25 and I've opened this on the router.

I'm not using UPC mail, I'm using fastmail.us (http://fastmail.us/). I presume this shouldn't be a problem?

thanks for help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

on the SMTP UPC probably don't allow relaying.

what error do you get? if it's a 550 relay then use fm's smtp server instead, or see if UPC some form of smtp auth

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

ntlbell wrote: »
    on the SMTP UPC probably don't allow relaying.

what error do you get? if it's a 550 relay then use fm's smtp server instead, or see if UPC some form of smtp auth

Here's the message I get:

111oat.jpg

from a command prompt can you telnet to the smtp server on port 25?

Here's what I get:

86319594.jpg

and you put it in smtp.upcmail.ie 25 yea?

This is what I see

220 edge05.upc.biz edge ESMTP server ready

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    and you put it in smtp.upcmail.ie 25 yea?

This is what I see

220 edge05.upc.biz edge ESMTP server ready

Here's the Thunderbird settings:

smtp.jpg

i mean when you did the telnet test

you did telnet smtp.upcmail.ie 25 right?

just solved the problem myself,

unticked "use name and password"

dooohhhhhh!!

I was just going to ask.

good luck with the wireless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Elvis07

Hey there, did you get the first part of that problem with the "Device Ownership Passowrd" solved? I had tried pasting in my router password but I get a checksum failed message. I want to use the intel wireless config also instead of windows but cant get past the password screen. Any help appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Spidey

Elvis07 wrote: »
    Hey there, did you get the first part of that problem with the "Device Ownership Passowrd" solved? I had tried pasting in my router password but I get a checksum failed message. I want to use the intel wireless config also instead of windows but cant get past the password screen. Any help appreciated!

Hi there,

I'm having the same problem. Getting a checksum error after pasting in the UPC router (Cisco EPC2425) password. Anyone have any idea how to overcome this? Cannot uninstall the Intel wireless utility as it is used in a corporate environment as well as at home. It's a windows XP laptop. Any advice would be really appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

Elvis07 wrote: »

CONTROL PANEL --> ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS , select Intel click change/remove - you want to modify settings when next installer window opens.

click Modify and untick WI-FI PROTECTED SET-UP

Restart Intel and you'll only have to type in WEP as normal.

Advertisement