Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pothole N25 Midleton-Cork

• 31-12-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Driving home late Tuesday night (pitch dark) I hit what felt like an enormous pothole in the overtaking lane of the N25 Cork bound between the Midleton and Cobh exits. I didn't notice the impact damage to the tyre until this morning though thankfully the alloy wheel seems fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across (no pun intended) this pothole? A woman was pulled into the hard shoulder a few feet on with a flat so I don't think I was the only one. My car is out of action while I'm waiting for the tyre to come in so I can't go out and check it out. I might shoot off a letter to the Council though I don't fancy my chances.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I was driving on this road last night, but I missed this particular pothole. I must have been in the slow lane for once. There's potholes on the Castlemartyr side of the Lake View/Ballinacurra roundabout in Midleton - big enough that you'd get lost in them. They're huge!! I had to swerve in and out a few times to avoid some serious damage. They're on both sides of the road too. The driving conditions last night were as bad as I remember for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I was driving on this road last night, but I missed this particular pothole. I must have been in the slow lane for once. There's potholes on the Castlemartyr side of the Lake View/Ballinacurra roundabout in Midleton - big enough that you'd get lost in them. They're huge!! I had to swerve in and out a few times to avoid some serious damage. They're on both sides of the road too. The driving conditions last night were as bad as I remember for a long time.

I hit a couple the last night in my wifes car, thankfully no damage but the freezing has damaged a lot of roads badly. Ice expands as it freezes and breaks up any tarmac that has water in or under it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I hit a couple the last night in my wifes car, thankfully no damage but the freezing has damaged a lot of roads badly. Ice expands as it freezes and breaks up any tarmac that has water in or under it.

I don't think I've ever seen as many potholes as we have now. It's only going to get worse too with Met Eireann's weather warning...
    The first week in 2010 is set to be bitterly cold with a direct feed of Polar air down over Ireland. Heavy snow showers are likely and very severe frosts. Daytime temperatures will hardly rise above freezing at best with icy conditions persisting all day in many areas and nightime minima will fall below -5 degrees and in places below minus 10 degrees. Friday (New Year's Day): Heavy snow showers likely over Ulster. Sunny spells and scattered snow showers possible over Connacht and Leinster and mainly dry over Munster. Daytime temperatures around zero. Friday night minima of zero to -6 degrees. Saturday & Sunday: Some sunny spells but scattered heavy snow showers likely….. all areas at risk but most especially Ulster and Leinster. Daytime temperatures around zero dropping to between -5 and -10 at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

pow wow wrote: »
    Driving home late Tuesday night (pitch dark) I hit what felt like an enormous pothole in the overtaking lane of the N25 Cork bound between the Midleton and Cobh exits. I didn't notice the impact damage to the tyre until this morning though thankfully the alloy wheel seems fine.

Time to start driving with your lights on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

pow wow wrote: »

Just wondering if anyone else has come across (no pun intended) this pothole? A woman was pulled into the hard shoulder a few feet on with a flat so I don't think I was the only one. My car is out of action while I'm waiting for the tyre to come in so I can't go out and check it out. I might shoot off a letter to the Council though I don't fancy my chances.

Thanks.

Travelling home from work one evening a guy in front hit a bad pothole around where you described and debris came flying off his car, he had to pull in to the hard shoulder. Also a guy at work burst a tyre in the exact same pothole. I clipped the side of it and there was some bang from it, would not like to hit it full on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

testicle wrote: »
    Time to start driving with your lights on?

Hur hur.

I hit it myself OP around 3am, the road was flooded and it was invisible. Luckily I kept the speed down and caused no problems. A colleague of mine, joining me around 4am in a similiar vehicle (new transit 4x4- I say this cos they have off road tyres and bigger than normal diameter wheels), nearly got hopped off the road, apparently.

More cratars on the eastern approach to the Midleton roundabout, and on the Youghal side of Killeagh, for those out and about :)

Advertisement