Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballincollig Green Route...a bad example of road projects

Options
  • 31-12-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I know Ballincollig isn't strictly Cork City, buts its close enough to land here rather than county. I was browsing the lovely Ballincollig Green Route website
    www.ballincolliggreenroute.com and noted the news updates about a junction I regularly drive through. I don't really need to add much but heres the updates from the "News" section, I think it says a lot about what we accept in public services and development.

28th May 09
    Work on the Kilumney Road and Station Road junction began 26th May 2009. This road junction is being upgraded to a traffic light junction with pedestrian crossings and associated public lighting. There will be a new filter lane installed for those travelling east to west and who wish to turn north down Station Road. The existing bus shelter has been temporarily relocated approximately 50m to the east, in order to facilitate construction works.

29th June 09
    Work on the Kilumney Road and Station Road junction is well advanced. A new 3m wide combined footpath/cycle lane and bus shelter has been installed and the new carriageway lane will be completed in early August 2009. It is hoped to have the new traffic light signalised junction fully operational by the end of August 2009.

31st July 09
    Work on the Kilumney Road and Station Road junction is almost complete. Within the next few weeks, the new road carriageway will be surfaced and new traffic lights installed. It is planned to have the new traffic light signalised junction fully operational by the end of August 2009.

31st August 09
    Work on the Kilumney Road and Station Road junction is 80% complete. Within the next few weeks, the new road carriageway will be white lined and new traffic lights installed. It is planned to have the new traffic light signalised junction fully operational by the beginning of October 2009.

6th October 09
    Work on the Kilumney Road and Station Road junction is 90% complete. Within the next few weeks, the new traffic lights will be connected to the electricty grid by ESB Networks and turned on. The junction road carriageway will then be white lined. It is planned to have the new traffic light signalised junction fully operational by the beginning of November 2009.

And thats it, this junction is a dangerous mess at the moment, lights installed but covered and unused, cones everywhere. I've even seen cars driving into oncoming traffic in a new turning lane. Someone must have complained or something must have happened because theres also a temporary sign obstructing the road telling users to "proceed with extreme caution".

So something that was due to be completed by August is still ongoing...btw we're talking a simple T-Junction getting upgraded to a traffic light controlled junction...this is just a simple example. Those sort of delays aren't accepted in private industry, or the contractors involved would be paying huge late delivery penalities...I just hope no-one gets hurt here (if it hasn't already happened).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 birds.ie

Just had a read of your post, I know the junction you are talking about, the traffic lights will be very welcome at this location and looking forward to them being installed.

I am building a house at the moment and have been waiting nearly 2 months to get a power connection so at a guess I reckon this junction could be waiting on a power connection like my new house, the delay is frustrating but I have been informed that due to the recent Cork floods and bad weather ESB have had to prioritise their works to cater for emergencies first and backlog non emergency works.

Had a look at the website for the works, first time I have seen information about a construction job being freely shared to members of the public, this is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

birds.ie wrote: »
    Had a look at the website for the works, first time I have seen information about a construction job being freely shared to members of the public, this is excellent.

It is great that they're sharing the info (not that many seem to be aware of it), but if the info they're sharing is completely inaccurate it only serves as an embarassment. As you know the traffic lights were not erected months ago, probably there a few weeks only so it seems power wasn't the only delay in this instance. Best of luck with your build.

Advertisement