Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overlaying concrete

• 31-12-2009 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all,
    Perhaps you can help me. Several years ago, I had a shed built for a purpose that it never fulfilled. (dog kennels) The concrete in the shed was laid such a way to promote drainage to 2 central channels for easy cleaning. I have since filled in the channels but now have an oddly sloping floor. The shed is now being used for hay/feed storage, two horses and various other purposes. (quite large) I wanted to re-lay the floor without ripping up the old floor and am wondering how to go about it.
    1. Should I bond the new floor to the old ? If so, how?
    2. Does it require reinforcing for those purposes? What height should I make it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

you can just pour a layer of concrete over it and screed it out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 zamur

If you want to ensure a good bond, you could scabble the existing floor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabbling you can hire a machine to do this. Or if your not too particular and if it is not going to have much traffic, just clean off the existing floor and coat it in a bonding agent - you can use ordinary polybond, mixed as per the instructions on the container, or you could spend more and buy a specific concrete bonding agent made by the likes of sika.

You should also try and use a 10mm aggregate mix to ensure that sufficient bonding and compaction is achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If the shed is being used for general agricultural purposes, then it will need a reinforced concrete slab 125mm - 150mm thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 echidna

Thanks to all who replied - I think that normal bonding will probably suffice - from what you have said and what else I have read. The surface is not paricularly smooth so should provide a reasonable surface for contact of a new layer of concrete. I think I will probably make it about 2" thick. It really won't be used for any agricultural purposes - just storage of horse feed and hay as well as housing the horse in a stable within the shed. I am hardly likely to ever really drive on it - other than perhaps load and unload stuff a couple of times a year from the trailer. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Advertisement