Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks for everyone else?

Options
  • 31-12-2009 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Just wondering are everyone else's mocks on the same time in the whole country? Ours start on the 3rd of Feb!

Is it the same everywhere else?
    Oh and does anyone know how many actual different mock papers there are?! Like some schools get different mock papers to others!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Well I'd say they start at the discretion of the school so probably different dates. No idea though, open to correction! Mine are around the start of February, they haven't given us the date yet

And as far as I know theres a bunch of companies that produce mock papers so whichever supplier your school uses will be different to another supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

They vary a bit. I did mine in mid March last year. You'll see by March all of the mock papers on here no doubt for the late mockers(?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Mine start Feb 1st, which is in a month :eek:

And I need to do some serious DCG project work (Deadline Feb 12th) so my mock studying may take a hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

Yeah the do vary depending which supplier your school is using as another poster said.

But they usually start the end of Jan and finish up around March. Never heard of any school doing them after that although I could be wrong.

Good luck with them in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

mine start on the 1st and end on the 12th,then midterm for 7 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Mine are in March,But my old school hasthem in 4 weeks as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some schools don't do mocks at all.

I know of at least three nationwide suppliers of mock papers, there may be others. The quality of papers varies greatly. Some companies have ridiculous questions on mock papers that would never be asked on an SEC paper. There have been cases where commercial mock papers contained questions on topics that were not on the syllabus.

The quality of correcting by mock companies reflects the amount they pay correctors. Some teachers just give a past paper and correct them themselves.

The mock paper companies are businesses, they couldn't give a damn about the real exams. Their purpose is to make money, which they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Mine start the 29th of January:( and we are finished then for the mid-term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

There are two main suppliers DEB and Examcraft. Examcraft have a tick on the front of their papers (IIRC).

Just so ye know when youre all swapping papers like we did last year. But jesus, dont forget to use spoilers or the mods will beat ye to a pulp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Mine start the 1st Feb.. And DCG due in the 12th, going to be crazy. :eek:
    How much are people paying for theirs, in my school its €105ish, bit over the top tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    How much are people paying for theirs, in my school its €105ish, bit over the top tbh.

Havn't heard anything about prices yet but i'm sure i'll find out as soon as i go back, that seems very steep but then again mine could be the same if not dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

i'm screwed for mine.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    i'm screwed for mine.

Same but at least there'll still be about 3 months to the real thing afterwards. I can't wait until the whole thing is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There are 2 main ones. Examcraft and DEB.
    Examcraft have a tick at the front of them and DEB have a barcode in the top left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Mine are 90 euro and are starting the 4th of Feb right up to mid-term :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are 2 main ones. Examcraft and DEB.
    Examcraft have a tick at the front of them and DEB have a barcode in the top left.

There is also a new one this year called something like 'Munster Examining Board'.
    I can't remember the exact name.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Oh ok thanks a mill for all that! Didnt actually know it wasnt the people that make the real exam papers that do the mocks.. We paid €115 for ours around november time.
    Well good luck to everyone doing the mocks and thanks for replying! Dont worry too much about them its the real thing thats important!
    Happy new year!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

I think mine start the 2nd of February
    We haven't been told anything about paying for them though

If they are being sent out to be corrected, the mock companies charge between 6 and 7 euro for the correction of each script. It adds up - a nice little earner (for the businesses - I suspect the correctors are not paid anything like that rate).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Hi my teacher showed us the examcraft paper
    we are doin deb
    on examcraft there is a essay on Lear nd his journey
    I cnt remember the other one
    vision nd viewpoint came up
    poetry was kavanagh, Yeats, boland nd Keats
    bit odd to have 3 Irish bt that's the way it is!!
    We have to find out what is coming up in Irish deb paper especially the essay part!!!
    Hope this helps!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

You just told us our mocks :o. Well the possibility. Oh my god.

No doubt he/she will be as helpful with the real thing.

I suspect not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

irish_man wrote: »
    Hi my teacher showed us the examcraft paper
    we are doin deb
    on examcraft there is a essay on Lear nd his journey
    I cnt remember the other one
    vision nd viewpoint came up
    poetry was kavanagh, Yeats, boland nd Keats
    bit odd to have 3 Irish bt that's the way it is!!
    We have to find out what is coming up in Irish deb paper especially the essay part!!!
    Hope this helps!!!

Seeing as you're relatively new year, I'll let you away with tihs warning: the policy on the LC forum is that while we do allow discussion of what's on your mocks, such discussion must be put in spoiler tags, so that people who don't wish to know what's on the mocks don't accidentally read it. To wrap spoiler tags around text you need to type [spoiler4] in front of the text you want to hide and [/spoiler4] afterwards (without the 4 after spoiler, it's just there to stop the tags from showing).

Please adhere to this rule as it's not fair on people who want to mocks to remain unknown like the real exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Ours aren't till March.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Lucky duck >=[!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Start February 2nd and finish the 12th - but some of my friends and I were thinking that they might need to be pushed back because of the whole weather situation? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

spurious wrote: »
    If they are being sent out to be corrected, the mock companies charge between 6 and 7 euro for the correction of each script. It adds up - a nice little earner (for the businesses - I suspect the correctors are not paid anything like that rate).

Im paying like €105 to sit 6 papers.. thats crazy, company getting €17.50 per subject off me :eek: Yikkees, Recession??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Mine are in 4 weeks also. Might not go the best for me but will see how it goes sure...something to break the monotony at teh moment anyway.

They are bound to be corrected stupidly- found that in the JC at least...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

ours start on the 22nd of feb! cant wait for June 24th though...... FREEDOM!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement