Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise Ireland refuse to sue company that filed fraudulent claim

Options
  • 31-12-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/dec/27/enterprise-ireland-declines-to-sue-forged-document/

This link was posted on the Business and Entreprise thread.

Its sad to think that the organisation responsible for attracting and nuturing business in this country is now showing itself to be another state organisation where cover-ups are par for the course.

Another example of government employees more interested in a$$-covering than serving the needs of the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jetsonx wrote: »
    http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/dec/27/enterprise-ireland-declines-to-sue-forged-document/

This link was posted on the Business and Entreprise thread.

Its sad to think that the organisation responsible for attracting and nuturing business in this country is now showing itself to be another state organisation where cover-ups are par for the course.

Another example of government employees more interested in a$$-covering than serving the needs of the country.

Seems more like gross stupidity than corruption. The offending company should have been hung out to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There is no limit to how far these People will go to squander our tax money both through it being spent on their own wages and through handing it out hand over fist to others on vacant minded whims.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Raiser wrote: »
    There is no limit to how far these People will go to squander our tax money both through it being spent on their own wages and through handing it out hand over fist to others on vacant minded whims.......

Did you read the report? It seems that no money was paid out in excess of what the applicant was entitled to. It was the firm making the application that seems to have behaved wrongly, and Enterprise Ireland discovered the irregularity. It also appears to me that the irregularity was in the preparation of documentation, and not fundamentally fraudulent.

A molehill rather than a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Did you read the report? It seems that no money was paid out in excess of what the applicant was entitled to. It was the firm making the application that seems to have behaved wrongly, and Enterprise Ireland discovered the irregularity. It also appears to me that the irregularity was in the preparation of documentation, and not fundamentally fraudulent.

But should this firm not be pursued legally for making a fraudulent claim. This goes to the very heart of the problem with this country. The "ah sure it will be ok" attitude is what's wrong here.

This company should be hung out to dry and an example made of them to discourage others. If they aren't then others will be tempted because they have everything to gain and by the looks of it nothing to lose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

It's just some cowboy businessmen trying to screw enterprise ireland out of money, the thread title is a bit misleading and potentially libellous.

I actually think enterprise ireland are one of the few decent government organizations out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

as i mentioned before

i know of a cowboy company setup to specifically milk enterprise ireland for grants and research money

whats worse it was setup by a guy who previously pissed away millions of AIBs money and had a bankrupted dot come company, i dont know how he managed to regain directorship in this time (new company registered in wifes name initially)

and that they did
    squandering better part of a 3rd of a million euro, and now EI own 49% stake in company that are ****ing worthless cowboys

anyways enough said it upsets me to think about them, i suspect its only the tip of an iceberg :(

The statement was actually a lot broader than your interpretation - Enterprise Ireland decides not to pursue a clear cut and cynical fraud case for fear of knocking some of the cozy feathers out of its own nice little well-paying and snug nest.

Enterprise Ireland are essentially a well funded little Club of well paid individuals making sure they have enough busy work on show to justify their continued existence year on year.

- If this means that they hush up blatant fraud just to keep their own gravy train rolling then by God they can do that Sir - Yes they can!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

gandalf wrote: »
    But should this firm not be pursued legally for making a fraudulent claim. This goes to the very heart of the problem with this country. The "ah sure it will be ok" attitude is what's wrong here.

This company should be hung out to dry and an example made of them to discourage others. If they aren't then others will be tempted because they have everything to gain and by the looks of it nothing to lose!

I agree with naming and shaming the company that tried it.
    But pursuing it legally will cost several hundred thousand and without any definite chance of getting a conviction worth the time and money.
    'The issue' can be resolved/mitigated by new procedures by EI that will cost next to nothing (Like, I dunno, checking with the accountant)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

The statement was actually a lot broader than your interpretation - Enterprise Ireland decides not to pursue a clear cut and cynical fraud case for fear of knocking some of the cozy feathers out of its own nice little well-paying and snug nest.

Enterprise Ireland are essentially a well funded little Club of well paid individuals making sure they have enough busy work on show to justify their continued existence year on year.

- If this means that they hush up blatant fraud just to keep their own gravy train rolling then by God they can do that Sir - Yes they can!!!

Those are some very sweeping statements, do you have anything to back up what you're saying? Karoma's reason for them not pursuing the case makes a lot mores sense.

The statement was actually a lot broader than your interpretation - Enterprise Ireland decides not to pursue a clear cut and cynical fraud case...

I ask again: did you read the report? Where did you find indication of a clear cut and cynical fraud case? To help you, I quote from the report:
    Correspondence from Enterprise Ireland says: "We will not be submitting a criminal complaint in respect of the incident as: the details submitted in the company's claim were inspected and there was no detection of deliberate monetary fraud, [and] no payment has been made to the company in respect of the claims."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

jape wrote: »
    Those are some very sweeping statements, do you have anything to back up what you're saying? Karoma's reason for them not pursuing the case makes a lot mores sense.

personal experience would agree with his observation of

"Enterprise Ireland are essentially a well funded little Club of well paid individuals making sure they have enough busy work on show to justify their continued existence year on year."

jape wrote: »

Do I have proof of their fundamental foundation of self-serving nonsense? Let me check through all of my files and consult with my private investigators.....

I have certain views on Bodies that exist within this Country and the roles they play - There's a few Enterprise Ireland's out there and they all have about 15 BMW X5s in their car parks.

This shyness to bring this simple fraud case to Court, was it a shyness perhaps brought on by the possible knowledge of 50 other cases where hundreds of thousands of the Taxpayers hard-earned cash was paid over to 3rd Parties on the foot of suspect documentation or failure to properly assess the veracity of free-money-handouts 'enterprising' claims???

As for Enterprise Irelands reputation, worth and reason to be in my opinion they couldn't spot enterprising Individuals, talent or opportunity with an electron microscope, the Idiots Guide to Entrepreneurship and a 90 foot neon saying saying "Check this out!!!!"

The Collisson Brothers > Enterprise Ireland > Y Combinator chain is a great example of this.

- Follow each link to hear of two teen Brothers sitting on a Goldmine who had to take millions out of our economy due to Enterprise Irelands myopic, dull, talentless failings....... Maybe they were too busy looking out for their plump little selves?

...The Collisson Brothers > Enterprise Ireland > Y Combinator chain is a great example of this.

- Follow each link to hear of two teen Brothers sitting on a Goldmine who had to take millions out of our economy due to Enterprise Irelands myopic, dull, talentless failings....... Maybe they were too busy looking out for their plump little selves?

That is not proof of a culture of covering up fraud, which is what you are suggesting here.

That is not proof of a culture of covering up fraud, which is what you are suggesting here.

You are quite right - I'll edit the " - Either that" bit because it is poorly stated!

Although if you wanted to be really thorough in examining why a Body tasked with funding enterprising start-ups failed to provide a tiny amount of necessary funding to the most obvious, sure-fire, no-brainer case you could ever imagine - then you could start asking who did get the money? and why?, and were they relations, or friends, or business partners......???

- But this is Ireland and that kind of thing doesn't happen - does it?

I'd repeat that I am more focussed on the fraud issue from the point of view that it was allowed to pass to keep their doorstep free of dog sh|t..... Also the inclusion of the Collisson fiasco certainly illustrates that Enterprise Ireland are an Organisation of a certain calibre.

Advertisement