Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number Of Replies Not Showing Up Correctly

Options
  • 31-12-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Hmm, odd.

I don't see any particular reason why it would have shown up like that. It should be correct now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That happens sometimes on the front page too, a new thread will have the 'new' tag on the front page, but there will be a reply to the thread. If you try searching for virgin threads and reply to a couple and go to the front page again, it may do it.

testvm.png

thread

OK, I've found the threads that have messed-up reply counts.

It appears to affect 0.414% of threads and there's no apparent pattern to it. It has been going on for at least 5 years by the looks of things and it happens in clumps.

The safest way to update the counts on a thread is to unapprove and then approve a post in it. I could try a blanket fixup in the DB but that runs the risk of screwing other stuff up.

• Advertisement

OK, I may have a partial fix for this. It's a timing-related bug so it's hard to get a full fix for it. I'll see how we get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye spotted a couple of these - I made mention in the other bug report thread about seeing the first response posters name beside the NEW thread on the home/subbed pages rather than the OP.

And now I'm getting dual posts when I post this evening? Has happened twice

star-pants wrote: »
    Aye spotted a couple of these - I made mention in the other bug report thread about seeing the first response posters name beside the NEW thread on the home/subbed pages rather than the OP.

Yep, that's because "NEW" is just an alias for "replies: 0".
    And now I'm getting dual posts when I post this evening? Has happened twice

Hmm, don't know about that. Probably unrelated.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Have noticed this a lot on front page over last few days, one reply threads coming up as new. Have never noticed it before so it would seem to be happening a lot now, your stats maybe haven't caught up yet Conor?

Not to nag - but I assume this problem may also result in the forum page showing you there's a new post by X and you click the dropdown arrow beside it to open it to the last read post, and the post by X isn't there. (it also doesn't bring you down the page, it just opens the page at the top, or if you click and it should be page 3 the new post is on, it will bring you to the top of page 2 and if you click 3 it just refreshes page 2)
    As this has been happening yesterday and today

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    Have noticed this a lot on front page over last few days, one reply threads coming up as new. Have never noticed it before so it would seem to be happening a lot now, your stats maybe haven't caught up yet Conor?

It appears to be a replication timing issue. By querying back over all the threads ever made, I can see that this has been a problem in the past but it happens in clusters.

I have made a change which should improve the situation, but I can't say for sure yet if it's working.
    Not to nag - but I assume this problem may also result in the forum page showing you there's a new post by X and you click the dropdown arrow beside it to open it to the last read post, and the post by X isn't there.
    As this has been happening yesterday and today

Possibly related, but I can't be sure.

Conor wrote: »

Possibly related, but I can't be sure.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63787466#post63787466
    Not sure if it's still not working but it wasn't a few seconds ago. Last poster should be Mike1976 or something, but it shows last post by me. The forum shows that he has the last post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63787466#post63787466
    Not sure if it's still not working but it wasn't a few seconds ago. Last poster should be Mike1976 or something, but it shows last post by me. The forum shows that he has the last post.

His post was deleted and you were seeing a transitional state.

Conor wrote: »
    His post was deleted and you were seeing a transitional state.

ah groovy - but this did happen in the API forum yesterday, no deleted posts (I'd have seen them as I'm mod there) so I thought showing an example would be better than trying to explain but obviously this ones different.

someones got another one in Helpdesk http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055787296
    again dunno if it's a deleted post or that transitional state. Maybe there's a delay in the transitional state?

These issues should be fixed now. There may be some residual threads with messed-up reply counts but they should be quite rare.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement