Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 20mb Broadband mad slow...ping test bad help?

• 31-12-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I recently changed to ntl/upc 20mb broadband, and i am not happy with it. I live in tallaght and am getting poor download speeds of about 100/300kbps which is so poor. My old eircom line of 7mb I was getting 600-700kbps downloads.

I tested my speed on speedtest.net and got:

668102508.png
    668106807.png

The I tested my ping on pingtest.net and got:

6682569.png
    6683074.png
    6683153.png

I rang ntl and they said everything seems fine we will send a technician out, he came out today and said ist probably the lines into the house need upgrading and I need to call to arrange it. So i called UPC and they did a line test and they said everything is fine so no need to replace the lines it just peak time...I went mad at them saying it not its brutal all hours of the day, even youtube streams are dog slow!.

My neighbour has 10mb ntl broadband and he said he downloads at about 700-1000kbps and gets a ping test rating of A.

Why is mind so bad? I keep getting a pingtest of F. What can be the cause of this? So i have something to argue with ntl/upc as they are trying to fob me off!

Can someone please shed some light on this

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Getting 14mb or 15mb on 20mb connection is not really mad slow, agreed that you should be getting more. I will consider anything above 15mb as decent, over 18mb as good and 20mb as excellent.

The pingtest seems disappointing though. I am not sure why. Your ping on the first speedtest is 21ms and on 2nd is 30ms, which is not bad.

Here my results on 10mb line:

668172604.png

6688631.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

How are you connected to the modem wired or wireless? . Your neighbours connection being fine would suggest in something internal in your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 alf15

coldfire1x- i agree that my speed test results are very good. But my pingtest results are brutal with about 50-80% packet loss

Dingdong - Im wired to the modem, ive tired a different cable, still the same result, ive tired it wireless and still the same result, i thought maybe it was my pc, but my girlfriend got a brand new laptop and still getting the same ping result.

Then I tired her ping test in her house in Dublin 12 and she gets A rating, so somethings defo up with my line/connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

When you grab a file from heanet whats the transfer rate? Link. Also take a look at http://192.168.100.1/ and see what the transmit and receive levels are. Might also be worth running a program like this too. I wouldn't worry too much about that ping test site if everything is looking fine. Open a command prompt and ping boards.ie

dingdong my transfer rate is 180-200kb/s..thats very slow for 20Mb UPC.

Here is the other info:

Receive Power Level: 0.0 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level: 51.5 dBmV

I have maleware bits and comes back with nothing found.

I did a few ping test in cmd and for google.ie I got 50% packet lost, 4 sent and 2 losts

Boards.ie I got the same. For upc.ie I got 25% packet loss with 4 sent and 1 lost?

Thanks

Alan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

7015192.png here,s mine i was getting f all the time then i reset the routier and opened up ports and turned off firewall cuz i use the windows firewall and bingo im back good

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

I am having the same issue here in Dublin 13. I am also on the 20mb service

The download speed over Christmas has been brutal. The most that I can achieve is 8mb. Even that is a struggle.

I will call them tomorrow and see what the story is but am expecting the ususal plug the modem out and see what happens!!

massy086 - Is it not a bad idea turning off that firewall? Would turning that off improve my download rate and streaming?

I tried that file from heanet.ie last night at about 11.30pm and i got a transfer rate of 1mb/s - 1.5mb/s? And I havent done anything?

Question, Do UPC throttle rapidshare servers when downloading files? I have a premium account and my tranfer rate never goes above 350kb/s at off peak and about 200kb/s peak! But when i was on eircom 7mb I got a transfer rate of 700kb/s all the time.

What transfer rate do you's get off rapidshare megaupload etc?

An engineer is coming out today to look at my broadband and test the line. But I know he will say its fine!

Streaming is very poor on my pc, I tired stream a southpark episode off the net last night and it was brutal took for age to stream, is this due to my ping being bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

alf15 wrote: »
    Question, Do UPC throttle rapidshare servers when downloading files? I have a premium account and my tranfer rate never goes above 350kb/s at off peak and about 200kb/s peak! But when i was on eircom 7mb I got a transfer rate of 700kb/s all the time.

What transfer rate do you's get off rapidshare megaupload etc?

I think they do. There was a time I could get 1.2 down from Rapidshare, now it's rarely above 500kb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Stoko

alf15 wrote: »
    An engineer is coming out today to look at my broadband and test the line. But I know he will say its fine!

what did the engineer say?

I have same issue and obv its noise on the line but they wont fix! crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'm in tallaght and had the same problem last week. Was getting F ratings on all tests. Losing packets on all things. webpages takes minutes to load (sometimes not loading at all) couldn't play online games on PS3.. nothing working

I rang them and they sent someone out.. He said it was an outside fault. 3 days later they came and did something and now i get A ratings all the time.. Tell them to send someone out.. are tell them your not paying for the service.

Advertisement