Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need advice

• 31-12-2009 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hi just wondering if anyone can help me for last two days my battery light is on and my steerin wheel is shaking as i drive? just wonderin is this a big job or something small as i,m hopin to get a new car soon dont want to spend loads gettin it done oh forgot to say i only got new battery few weeks ago
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Hi,

what make/model/year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Sounds like your alternator / power steering belt has come off.

If the power steering belt was off the steering would be very difficult to use, very very very heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 thesaharastyle

its a ford focus estete 99 the steering is not heavy just steerin wheel shaking i was just wonderin i slid in d ice christmas morning and my front wheel hit d footpath dont know if that had anythin to do with it cause i didnt drive it for 3 days after tat and battery light has been on it since thanks for ur advice in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

The tracking might be off after giving it a hard enough bang.
    Ball joint possibly damaged .
    Worth getting checked out as your front tyres will wear that much
    quicker. As for the battery light coming on, this time of year
    sharp frosts effect batterys alot more. Best to get your car checked
    out.

• Advertisement

If you gave the car a smack I would agree that the tracking or part of the suspension has been damaged which is making the wheel vibrate. The battery light means that it isn't charging properly from the alternator, the diode pack may have been damaged in the impact. I'd get the car to an auto electrician as soon as possible as the battery won't last long if it isn't being charged. As mentioned the alternator belt may have been damaged too but it's unlikely, you never know though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Its actually not tracking. I'd be inclined to think it's the balance. Tracking involves the direction of the wheel and angle. balance is when the wheel is not true anymore from an impact such as the op.
    I'd avoid driving the car except to a reputable mechanic. If it's only balancing then its not too expensive.
    As for battery light. Now there's something more serious.
    It means the car is relying soley on its battery which is good for maybe 5 miles of driving. Make sure to switch off all electrics unless necassary including lights,radio, heater/demister etc.

As the OP did not mention that the vibrating wheel only occurs at a particular speed I would think it is not the balancing that needs attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Fair point. Just assumed that when a car is moving with a vibrating wheel its usually balancing issue. Of course it could be far worse but I always like to start on the simple side. Could very well be wishbone in which case its not safe.

Advertisement