Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good/Bad Purchase?

• 31-12-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi...I've decided to buy a camera in the january sales. I was in my local camera store in tallaght today and here's what i was offered.

1.Nikon D3000 18-105 includes bag and 2g memory card. €579 or if i wanted the larger lens 55-200 it would cost €665

2.Cannon EOS 1000D 2g memory card 18-55 lens + 75-300 lens + bag for €635

would it be fair to say the cannon is great value? when i was comparing both i liked the nikon especially the lens they seem bulky/sturdy. probably meaningless.

any help with the purchase would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

To avoid confusion, is the first option an either-or? Either the 18-105 or 55-200? Because two lenses are much better than one, meaning the second option would be a no-brainer.

Discount the value of the memory cards/bags, those can be picked up on ebay for a tenner. The camera and lenses are paramount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

yep the 1st option is a single lens offer..but i would go for the larger lens if i were to purchase.
    i agree with you on the 2 lens option..it seems like a good deal..the cannon also has picture preview which i believe could be quite handy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I would go for the Canon version. Thats not a bad deal. If you are just starting off you have a fair bit of scope going from 18 - 300mm. You also have a big second hand market in Canon gear.

Good Luck with whatever you choose:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Go put your hands on each camera before you buy.

With the Canon, an added battery grip can be great, for balance, never mind the extra battery power.

The combination or two lenses can also be a good option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Both are good entry level DSLR's. I would not put much emphasis on the Liveview as on a DSLR it's not that useful, though it seems to be important to those who have only shot with a compact before.

The Canon Kit lenses are very lightweight & not great, though their expensive glass is excellent. The Nikon Kit lenses are much better quality.

Pick up both cameras & see which suits you best. Go to a few other shops & compare their packages too.

Both Canon & Nikon are the leading systems & neither make bad cameras.

• Advertisement
Advertisement