Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Malin Head - Which Version?

• 31-12-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Me & Homer Simpson were in Malin Head today and the below was my favorite shot. So much so i processed it twice and I would appreciate comments on which of the following do it for you....& what might be done to improve them?

4231807194_f3cc6dd8d3_o.jpg

4231806684_73654d2e46_o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

#1 for me. I think it is excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

i like the first one as well, in b+w everything is harder to see i think, not as much contrast. nice photo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Great shot Longshanks, colour one for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

I'd say the colour one too, Love the sky in this version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Liking both. Were you using an ND?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Nice shot.

Of the two I prefer the Colour but feel that you could get a much better mono conversion which would be a lot stronger. The one you have is a bit flat.

The other thing which stick out is the white block behind the cross. It is a highlight that draws the eye to it. This could very easily be burnt in to reduce that. There is detail there, so it's not burnt out. The sky also looks very noisy, I am assuming that this is due the sharpening, if so then maybe exclude the sky when doing the shapening

I think the shot is worth the effort of some PP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

trooney wrote: »
    Liking both. Were you using an ND?

Far from ND filters around my neck of the woods! Cheapo welding glass :D
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Nice shot.

Of the two I prefer the Colour but feel that you could get a much better mono conversion which would be a lot stronger. The one you have is a bit flat.

The other thing which stick out is the white block behind the cross. It is a highlight that draws the eye to it. This could very easily be burnt in to reduce that. There is detail there, so it's not burnt out. The sky also looks very noisy, I am assuming that this is due the sharpening, if so then maybe exclude the sky when doing the shapening

I think the shot is worth the effort of some PP.

Thanks for that - exactly what i was after. Im not 100% happy with the B&W...but couldn't put my finger on why. I will have a another go at a stronger version tomorrow. More contrast?

Regarding the white block, yeah the sun came out nicely as i was talking the shot and i now can see that this highlight is a bit of a distraction. Will have a go at burning to reduce it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Both lovely, I would pick no.1 as well.
    What equipment were you using and what settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭outspann

Can I be in a minority of one and say that I prefer the B+W? Loving the look of the waves as they crash onto the rocks.

And maybe it's just me, but I'm finding the motion in the clouds a bit, uhm, off-putting. It's not a direct comment on the photo but then again it is - but it just makes me slightly woozy to look at it. Course, it could be the day that's in it... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

B&W I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hey longshanks had a go at editing the b&w myself, hope you dont mind :D

EDIT : probably should have explained what i was doing first.

using the gimp.

used the free select tool to select the sky area only for adjusting. the select only the blue channel and underexposed it by using the curve :)

Under exposing the blues helps bring out the clouds better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Number 1 - turned out class, congrats some thought went into that pic:) will add mine on the donegal thread tomorrow, justafter getting my fingers thawed out now.....good old vodka!

P.S. slightly off topic but still........happy new year to all on photo forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Definately number 1, very nice!

landyman wrote: »

thanks - no bother
    I'll have better look at that (soper) in morning but can u explain wat u done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

No. 1 from me also.

I think the b&w one is too hard to look at and work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Cracking shot.
    I like the BW best but the conversion could be improved I reckon.
    In both photos the white brick to the right of the cross looks blown and is very distracting from the pic imo.

Edit: ignore what I just said, Caban sail said it better already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

landyman wrote: »

EDIT : probably should have explained what i was doing first.

using the gimp.

used the free select tool to select the sky area only for adjusting. the select only the blue channel and underexposed it by using the curve :)

Under exposing the blues helps bring out the clouds better :)

I think you've gone too bright with those highlights in the sky.

I agree with the comments regarding the black and white version. I wanted to like it but it wasn't working for me. So i went back and had another go at it. IMO its now a lot better and think i might actually get it printed extra larger size.

Opinions welcome as always...

4233298233_f21832a5d7_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I like the first one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Really like the latest Mono version. You have improved the contrast & burned in that block well. Very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

outspann wrote: »
    Can I be in a minority of one and say that I prefer the B+W? Loving the look of the waves as they crash onto the rocks.

And maybe it's just me, but I'm finding the motion in the clouds a bit, uhm, off-putting. It's not a direct comment on the photo but then again it is - but it just makes me slightly woozy to look at it. Course, it could be the day that's in it... ;)

I, too prefer the B/W. There is something a little eerie about it and the clouds do suggest motion. I find it somewhat dizzying to look at.

I'm not qualified to comment on whether the white stones detract from the photo (to me they don't) but my feeling is, if this is an accurate representation of the scene, they shouldn't be "burned" or otherwise modified.

The colour version looks great but the B/W makes me FEEL something.

Advertisement