Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snapshot of Your Story - FM 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

I'd probably put him down as a box-to-box midfielder. Seems what he is most like in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Finished my third season with Gillingham and came 9th, though was in with a chance of play-off spot up until last game, which Notts County got.
    My 2 main strikers (Simeon Jackson, Luca Senicanin) got long injuries in the 2nd half of the season, I was in 5th then and faltered and fell back to 7th.
    Jackson was topscorer with 15
    Pat Kanyuka was Fan's Player of the Year

Its a real competitive league, lose 1 match and you can drop 5 places at the tail end of the season.In other news Fergie has retired and Aragones is the new Man U manager and O'Leary is managing Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

cashville wrote: »
    Fabregas to United, holy moly!

Indeed, sacrilige
    Real FM wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend how you play him? I have him as a deep lying playmaker as Anderson is my advanced play maker.

I play him in the CM position as one of two Advanced Playmakers, and it really works wonders for me. (See Post 5)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Kingser

Thought i was alone in this world using a drug entitled Championship Manager!!! All night benders, coffee shakes, Please say i'm not the only one!!?

Anyways will post my Story later on, with Leeds right now. Thinking about ending it all and going for Football manager? The seasion i got was 08/09. I'm on 13/14 season right now, my stats i think make good viewing!

Only found out when i stopped playing it that retired players go under a new name. Well i honestly didn't use any of that during my time! Kinda cheats the game a little.

What you think guys, Keep going with Leeds (Championship Manager 08/09) OR Football Manager 10/11?

*** Update ***

Turns out i deleted the Leeds but i've another game with Manchester Utd. In season 15/16 i think? Can't remember! Once I find out how, I'll post my stats.

Haven't played CM in a long time so I can't comment, but I've never really seen any good reviews. Football Manager is a fantastic game, can't go wrong with it!!!

I think when players retire in FM they get regenned as 15-16 year olds under different names.....but I don't see how you're supposed to know who is who, so it's not really cheating. If my scouts highly recommend some young lad in the 4/5th season I'm obviously going to try and snap him up.

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Finished my third season with Gillingham and came 9th, though was in with a chance of play-off spot up until last game, which Notts County got.
    My 2 main strikers (Simeon Jackson, Luca Senicanin) got long injuries in the 2nd half of the season, I was in 5th then and faltered and fell back to 7th.
    Jackson was topscorer with 15
    Pat Kanyuka was Fan's Player of the Year

Its a real competitive league, lose 1 match and you can drop 5 places at the tail end of the season.In other news Fergie has retired and Aragones is the new Man U manager and O'Leary is managing Ireland

Unlucky, I remember I was challening for top 4 in Italy with Fiorentina and Jovetic/Gilardino got serious injuries in the same week with a few months left. Finished 5th. VERY frustrating.

Haven't played CM in a long time so I can't comment, but I've never really seen any good reviews. Football Manager is a fantastic game, can't go wrong with it!!!

I think when players retire in FM they get regenned as 15-16 year olds under different names.....but I don't see how you're supposed to know who is who, so it's not really cheating. If my scouts highly recommend some young lad in the 4/5th season I'm obviously going to try and snap him up.

Say when Giggs retires in the game, his regen will have same DOB, height weight etc. as the man himself and will also be at a Welsh club, as that is his country in the game

Jaysus, didn't know that at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Say when Giggs retires in the game, his regen will have same DOB, height weight etc. as the man himself and will also be at a Welsh club, as that is his country in the game

how does it work that he will have the same DOB?

i mean same date and month, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Kingser

Yep, thats it. Keep note of any good players retiring, take note of date of birth, weight,height,position and Nat. When the players retires, go to his country leagues, start from the lower leagues and go throu team by team. Filter it by ages 16-20 or whatever it is as the player will only be 16. Also he will be on a Yth contract.

You'll pay some comp to the club he's at but value will treble after one season. If you can't get him at first, you'll get him in the winter transfer season.

I got some fantasic ones when i found this all out. Never spent over 5 millon a season. Club value is at 600million and i've 180million to spend! This is Manchester Utd. I just felt its a little cheat to the system! But hey, long as the board is happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

^ never knew that. Nice to know. I'm 8 mainly sucessful seasons in wit Spurs, and most of who I know have retired or will soon....so def will be raiding the youths at all top clubs. Will report back on how that works out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm Spurs for my first crack at this game.

Bought Fabio Aurelio from Liverpool, and sold Assou-Ekotto and Cudicini.

Had a decent start to the season but was very poor against the bigger sides. Developed a 4-5-1 formation and it worked a charm. Beat Arsenal 4nil away and then four days later beat Liverpool in Anfield 1nil.

My record against the top four for the season was:

Arsenal (h) 2-1 (a) 4-0
    Chelsea (h) 1-1 (a) 1-1
    United (h) 1-1 (a) 1-3
    Liverpool (h) 2-1 (a) 1-0

Qualified for the Champions League by the skin of my teeth. Finished on 77 points I think. United came 4th on 76. Pool 5th on 76. Arsenal 6th on 75. Everton 7th on 74.

Could of won the league if it wasn't for poor results against weak teams at White Hart Lane.

Chuffed with my first season :D Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Kingser wrote: »
    Yep, thats it. Keep note of any good players retiring, take note of date of birth, weight,height,position and Nat. When the players retires, go to his country leagues, start from the lower leagues and go throu team by team. Filter it by ages 16-20 or whatever it is as the player will only be 16. Also he will be on a Yth contract.

You'll pay some comp to the club he's at but value will treble after one season. If you can't get him at first, you'll get him in the winter transfer season.

I got some fantasic ones when i found this all out. Never spent over 5 millon a season. Club value is at 600million and i've 180million to spend! This is Manchester Utd. I just felt its a little cheat to the system! But hey, long as the board is happy!

Thats not an honest way to play though, I wouldn't get any satisfaction out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

DSB wrote: »
    Thats not an honest way to play though, I wouldn't get any satisfaction out of that.

No but, if it's true you could have one saved game dedicated to playing in this way?

jasonorr wrote: »
    No but, if it's true you could have one saved game dedicated to playing in this way?

If you wanted, but its kind of cheating in my book, and I personally wouldn't want one like that.

DSB wrote: »
    If you wanted, but its kind of cheating in my book, and I personally wouldn't want one like that.

I dunno, I'm sure I'd get bored eventually if it did work but, I'd like to try it at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Finished my second season with Spurs already :eek:
    Addiction is taking over and my LC is in 5 months :(

Came 3rd again. Finishing on 77 points. Chelsea are unstoppable. Won the league with 97 points :eek:

Sold Defoe, O'Hara, Pekhart and Dawson in my game, bought Veloso with that money for 18million.

Then on transfer deadline day I decided to finally get rid of the moaning Luka Modric for 31 million to AC Milan, bought Ashley Young from Villa to replace him for 25 million. However! I didn't realise this, that the registration closed on the 31st of August and the transfer deadline was the 1st of Sep. So Ashley Young couldn't play in domestic games until January which was a pain!

Lost in the League Cup final to Manchester City 2-1. Played my reserves in the FA Cup and was knocked out away to Wolves in the 4th Round 3-2.

Champions League was a great adventure. My group was Lyon, Brondby and Shaktar. Came second. Won both games against Shaktar and Brondby. Drew at home to Lyon and lost away. Came 2nd, Lyon pipping me to top spot on GD I think, or possibly Head to Head. Beat Anderlecht in the last 16. Beat them at home in the 1st leg 3-1. However, was 3nil down in the 2nd leg after 20 mins :eek: Scored in the 94th minute to bring the game to extra time :D Conceded an early goal in extra time and in the 121st minute Ashley Young popped up to put me into the last 8. Lyon knocked me out in the next roudn though with a 0-0 at WHL and lost 2nil in France.

Best player for the season was Peter Crouch. Going to try to cash in on him now and buy Dzeko from Wolfsburg. Corluka and Lennon and Jenas all want moves to bigger clubs so I may have to have a re jig in formation if I'm forced to let all of them leave. Will be back at the end of my 3rd season to keep yous updated :D

3rd Season objective: Finish 2nd ahead of Man City this year and maybe QF's in the Champions League again. Chelsea are looking unstoppable in my game.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Chelsea are unstoppable.

This, I've won the PL twice, once was ahead of them by like 4 points and the other I won on 'Goals For', however whenever I play them outside the PL it's like they bring they're A+ game, I haven't once beaten them in a non-PL match.
    Same with United, they seem waaaay better outside the League.

SantryRed, if you've the LC in 5 months do yourself a favour and put it down until it's over. I'm going to say something old and boring now - you only get one chance (yeah, you can repeat) at the LC, you should give it your best shot. When you look back you want to be able to say you put everything you could into it. Trust me on that one.

Nice story all the same. I do notice that teams are tougher in Europe than in domestic games. Maybe it's the motivation of the players, maybe the manager has a different tactic/style for Europe. Do we change our tactic/style for Europe, if not then maybe the computer manager just exploits the weaknesses he has already seen? I don't get it really.

To update my Roma game I started with - I won the league in 13/14 I think it was. Have a fantastic TEAM who played nice football the whole way through. Very solid defence, I have Mexes and Dennis Appiah (excellent) at centre half...I like pairing nationalities. It was down to me and Inter with 3 games left, I was 4 points ahead. I was 3-0 up at Bari and had the league won with a couple of games left........until.......Bari scored 3 in the last 10 minutes. 3-3....and I had only shipped 18 goals all season. Last 3 games were a disaster but Inter had a horrible run in and fluffed it as well. I came oh so close to throwing it away.

The save game is on the hosts laptop so I'll get the specifics. Lost to Real in 1st knockout round of CL. Raul in the last minute, I wouldn't mind he's about 36 in it. :(

I bought Torres in the summer for 80 million...only got to play a couple of games with him as we decided to start a new game (other player got sacked by Milan).

• Advertisement

Team: Truro City

League standings:
    10/11 - 8th

Top Goalscorer:
    10/11 - Danny Kedwell 17

Fans Player:
    10/11 - Ryan Carolan

Current 1st team:
    GK - Conor Fairley
    DL - Ryan Carolan
    DR - Michael Tieman
    DC - Ben Gerring
    DC - Charles Fisher
    ML - Anthony Marenghi
    MR - Ryan Da Silva
    MC - Thomas Pinault
    MC - Nick McNamara
    ST - Danny Kedwell
    ST - Kai Naismith

As part of the dafuge challenge, onwards and upwards towards promotion this season hopefully

Excuse my ignorance DSB, but who are they and what league was it? Did you expect to finish higher/lower?

Excuse my ignorance DSB, but who are they and what league was it? Did you expect to finish higher/lower?

They're 1 of the possible teams that come up from the unplayable leagues after the first season, the challenge is to take over 1 of them and bring them to CL glory. Was in the Blue Square South, and given where I'd come from and my team's low ingame reputation, I'd have done well, media prediction was to come last.

Kedwell was a good signing for you. You should get a good few years out of him
    Truro is right at the end of England in Cornwall, near land's end

Kedwell was a good signing for you. You should get a good few years out of him
    Truro is right at the end of England in Cornwall, near land's end

Aye, did a lil bit of research on that after starting.

Team: Arsenal

League
    09/10 - 1st.
    10/11 - 1st. (on 'Goals For')

FA Cup
    09/10 - 3rd Round - Man Utd
    10/11 -4th Round - Man Utd

League Cup
    09/10 - Semi's - Chelsea
    10/11 - Winner
    11/12 - 4th Round - Chelsea

Champions League
    09/10 - Winner
    10/11 - Semi's - Chelsea

Other
    10/11 - Euro Super Cup - Winner
    10/11 - World Club Cup - Winner

Where any teams listed above are who knocked me out.

I'm halfway through the 11/12 season at the moment, the transfer window has just opened.

I like trying to keep Arsenal players at Arsenal but some just really weren't good enough and I felt my squad was beginning to stagnate.

I had to sell Gallas at the start of the season as he just wasn't up to it anymore, sold him to PSG and Otamendi stepped up to be his replacement and he's been an absolute rock so far.

Transfers I lined up before the January transfer window to go through in January were:

I sold Traore to Panathinaikos for 8M as Gibbs is starting to make the jump up and Traore wasn't happy playing second fiddle to Clichy.

I sold Bendtner to Juventus for 13M as he just wasn't able to get a game and when he did he was very underwhelming.

I also sold Eduardo to Juventus for 16M. I was going to keep him but my next transfer would have left no room for him whatsoever so I decided to make a profit.

I signed Aguero, my first real monster buy for 50M. I wasn't planning on it but the board keep adding to my transfer budget so I ended up with a surplus of 90M to spend so I figured why not. It was a tough choice between himself, Dzeko and Balotelli but Aguero will overall suit my style of play.

Come the Summer transfer window deals are already sorted out to bring Gourcuff and Simon Kjaer to me.
    Kjaer is a young Danish defender who looks to be very very good.

I'm planning to sell Djourou in the Summer as he is a massive waste of space. The arrival of Gourcuff may also signal the end for Diaby, although Diaby has been in great form this season so he'll get a chance to fight for his place.
    Ramsey has come on in leaps and bounds and is starting to lay claim to be Fab's partner more than Diaby in the last moth or two.

My strongest starting line-up looks like:

Akinfeev

Sagna
    Otamendi
    Vermaelen
    Clichy

Song

Fab
    Diaby

Walcott
    Arshavin

RVP

Subs:
    Vela
    Ramsey
    Eduardo Salvio (AMR, this kid is very good)
    Eboue
    Gibbs
    Kacar (Young DM, him and Song rotate frequently)
    Djourou

Akinfeev - Sweeper Keeper - Defend
    Sagna - Full Back - Automatic
    Clichy - Full Back - Automatic
    Otamendi - Ball Playing Defender - Defend
    Vermaelen - Ball Playing Defender - Defend
    Song - Anchorman - Defend
    Fabregas - Advanced Playmaker - Attack
    Diaby - Advanced Playmaker - Attack
    Arshavin - Inside Forward - Attack
    Walcott - Inside Forward - Attack
    RVP - Complete Forward - Attack

I had planned to cash in on Arshavin in the summer but lucky I didn't as Nasri broke his leg (again) and Arshavin has been in great form.

Nice signing on Aguero. I never bought him but one of my friends was Atletico in a network game we had going and he was a machine for goals in it. Otamendi is class in it, really really solid. Let me know how it goes if you sign Gourcuff, I've seen a few people sign him in different games we had going and some struggled to get the best out of him.
    I signed him for Roma, I came very very close to selling him, but luckily enough I discovered how to get him to deliver. He turned out to be fantastic.

Nice signing on Aguero. I never bought him but one of my friends was Atletico in a network game we had going and he was a machine for goals in it.

He's only made one 15 minute Sub appearance and he's already justified his transfer fee.

Frisbee wrote: »
    He's only made one 15 minute Sub appearance and he's already justified his transfer fee.

What kind of yearly budget are the board giving you?

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    What kind of yearly budget are the board giving you?

30M+

On top of that once a season they also seem to give me a boost of about 10M euro as the club is doing so well financially. They did it twice last year so I ended up with like 90+ this year.

Advertisement