Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Gray's Team Of The Decade

• 31-12-2009 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

Andy Grays team of the decade

Freidel

G Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    Cole

Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Giggs

Zola---Henry

Brad Freidel in before Shay Given?
    Zola before Shearer/Bergkamp/Van Nistelrooy?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Andy Gray sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

super-rush wrote: »

Evidently... yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

id have given, viera and shearer in before Friedel,gerrard and zola....but would be a hard call cus them three players are outstanding aswell.

Think Friedel is a really excellen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Terry. Really? Got to be the most over-rated player in England.

But then again he's English so that makes him better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

sprinkles wrote: »

He was by far the best centre back in the world during the Mourinho era.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Vidic and evra deserve to be in as much as Terry and Cole , united have won the last 3 leagues and been to the last 2 european cup finals,winning one

Veira and scholes have more of a right to be in than gerrard

Shearer should be in over Zola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Nothing overly controversial imo from that team.

The suggestions here people have made are all fair enough but its not like he put in anyone without a legitimate claim, it just comes down to opinion and personal preference.

edit: think i spoke to soon with vampirekiss' selections. Vida and Evra dont deserve to be there over Cole and JT - its a decade after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Cole won 2 Premier League's with Arsenal whats your point?, to say Evra should be in ahead of him is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Vidic and evra deserve to be in as much as Terry and Cole , united have won the last 3 leagues and been to the last 2 european cup finals,winning one

Scholes ahead of Gerrard this decade? Do one.

Johner wrote: »
    Cole won 2 Premier League's with Arsenal whats your point?, to say Evra should be in ahead of him is a joke.
    united fans lol amirite?

Cole is the LB of the DECADE. Obv choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    edit: think i spoke to soon with vampirekiss' selections. Vida and Evra dont deserve to be there over Cole and JT - its a decade after all!

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

No Bergkamp = Not taking this seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Longevity has a lot to do with it. Vidic and Evra are only in the Premier League 4 years.
    Terry has been a regular in the Chelsea side all through the decade as has Cole with Arsenal first and then Chelsea. I picked my own team in another thread a few weeks back, I don't have Ferdinand in it either which you won't like being a United fan, and I'm guessing that by your comment regarding Vidic and Evra. I do however have three United midfielders. Imo the main reason United have been so dominant is the strength they have had in midfield right through the decade, you have others who would be in serious contention for a spot on the team of the decade besides those I picked like Scholes and even Beckham if he had been in the PL a couple of more years. I'm a Blackburn fan and I like to see Friedel picked but couldn't honestly pick him myself. Steve Finnan is the forgotten man, imo the most consistent right back through the decade. And Drogba is just awesome, and of course Henry was superb as much as I hate to admit it these days. The manager is very important though, Ferguson has been miles ahead of everyone else bar maybe the special one, but he was not in the Premier League for long enough so its definitely Ferguson by a mile over everyone else.
    Martyn

Finnan----Campbell----Terry----Cole

C. Ronaldo----Keane----Viera----Giggs

Henry----Drogba
    Manager: Alex Ferguson

Archimedes wrote: »
    No Bergkamp = Not taking this seriously.
    So close between him and Zola. Bergkamp pips it just prob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

CHD wrote: »
    So close between him and Zola. Bergkamp pips it just prob.

I loved Zola, such a little genius. Obviously I loved Van Nistelrooy too, he just scored for fun. Shearer was a machine, Drogba IS a machine, Torres is sickeningly good and Rooney is ridiculous gifted, but Bergkamp, is head and shoulders above all of them. I want to be his friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Exactly when did Bergkamp and Zola stop playing in the PL? Zola seems a strange one to be nominated for such a small space of time, couldn;t argue if it were a 90s team obviously.

Where the hell is Igor Biscan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Andy Gray is Scotish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

Surprised not to see Fabergas or Lampard in central midfield I don't think Gerrard is better then any of them.Very surprised to see Keane there as he's era was the 90s and the 00's was he's decline he was in his late 20's and not as influential as he once was imo.Zola is a big surprise as he left Chelsea in 03 when he was past his prime I would of given it to Rooney or Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Andy Gray is Scotish.

Isnt he talking about Terry tho?

enviro wrote: »
    Isnt he talking about Terry tho?

I read it as Andy Gray picked him only becuase he is English and with Andy Gray being Scotish why would he pick a player just becuase he is English.

That said I would not have Terry in my team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I see Andy came out with the "ball playing centre half" line for Rio

These type of teams always raise some debate, I'd have put in Carvalho instead of Rio, and maybe Given over Friedel.

Gerrard played his best football out on the right or behind Torres, so I'd have picked Lampard in the centre with Keano, maybe Essien if the formation was changed.

Freidel

G Neville
    Carvalho
    Carragher
    Cole

Ronaldo
    Lampard
    Keane
    Giggs

Bergkamp---Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

People who criticise him on this are often just jumping on the bandwagon because its the done thing...he often deserves it, but with this...its all down to personal preference really and completely subjective. I don't think his selection is that bad to be honest.

Personally, I would have had Given instead of Friedel, Van Nistelrooy instead of Zola (how many years of the last decade did he actually play?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    (how many years of the last decade did he actually play?).

Applied to all the players is how he bizarrely came to his team.Why would anyone argue with his opinion but to argue his basis of selection not his actual choices tbh.10 year period for all would and does make his team a joke but lets not get in the way of skysports making money.His team is based on what ? It would be a team based on highest sky viewing attendances if nothing more if analyzed further more imo.Unless we have a basis on what he deemed to be team worthy then we are pissing against the wind to debate it ?Having an english back four just pisses against any football knowledge he gets get paid for.

Lehman

Lauren
    Campbell
    Gallas
    Cole

Parlour
    Gilberto
    Viera
    Pires

Bergkamp---Henry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

yay, another one of these threads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The problem is trying to fit 11 players in,when really you could probably fit 20 in

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

The problem is trying to fit 11 players in,when really you could probably fit 20 in

The problem is Andy Gray is a muppet who is biased towards the players from the top 4 as they seem to be the only teams he ever talks about. Worst commentator/reporter in the world without doubt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The fact that Marcel Desailly isn't in the team and Zola is = Joke.

Desailly as a player changed how premier league football was (and is) played defensively just as much as Wenger changed how clubs were run.

Zola was damned good, but he didn't changed anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

mooman wrote: »
    The problem is Andy Gray is a muppet who is biased towards the players from the top 4 as they seem to be the only teams he ever talks about. Worst commentator/reporter in the world without doubt
    no the problem is.........the thread is called "andy grays team of the decade" not called everyone elses team of the decade its his opinion folks not yours!!!!! who could blame him for pickin these players???!!! thats why its HIS opinion and no one elses its his bloody team. if you agree then thats great if not thats great too. pick your own and i'm sure people wont agree either but hey thats football and thats why we love it. its a game of opinion after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Zola, wtf type of choice is that?
    He played in the premiership from 2000-2003 where he scored 35 odd goals, having him ahead of Shearer and Van Nistelrooy is hilarious.
    Hell if you're going to include a guy who only played a few years then I put Torres ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Drogba would defo have to be ahead of Zola considering the impact he has had for Chelsea.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I loved Zola, such a little genius. Obviously I loved Van Nistelrooy too, he just scored for fun. Shearer was a machine, Drogba IS a machine, Torres is sickeningly good and Rooney is ridiculous gifted, but Bergkamp, is head and shoulders above all of them. I want to be his friend.
    ah Archimedes head and shoulders? surely not, im twisted now but head and shoulders surely not. Zola came close and is a ****ing little legend. yes, bias. but i love that man.

Drogba would defo have to be ahead of Zola considering the impact he has had for Chelsea.
    seriously no.
    Gianfranco Fúcking Zola.

zola_2_1280x1024.jpg

What a man. Maybe, just maybe better than Essien.

CHD wrote: »
    Andy Gray sucks
    Great post. He's also bald and wants Gerrard.

Tigggggy bow son.

STFU Andy Gray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

DSB wrote: »
    He was by far the best centre back in the world during the Mourinho era.

Think Nesta was alot better during that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

You do realise Andy is not English right?

zAbbo wrote: »
    I see Andy came out with the "ball playing centre half" line for Rio

These type of teams always raise some debate, I'd have put in Carvalho instead of Rio, and maybe Given over Friedel.

Gerrard played his best football out on the right or behind Torres, so I'd have picked Lampard in the centre with Keano, maybe Essien if the formation was changed.

Freidel

G Neville
    Carvalho
    Carragher
    Cole

Ronaldo
    Lampard
    Keane
    Giggs

Bergkamp---Henry

Denis irwin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

super-rush wrote: »
    Andy Grays team of the decade

Freidel

G Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    Cole

Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Giggs

Zola---Henry

I agree about Shay Given but Shearer and to a lesser extent Bergkamp were more 90s players.
    Shearer only had three good goalscoring seasons in the 2000s. Would have put Van Nistrelrooy ahead of Zola. Apart from that I agree with this team which is close enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

ntlbell wrote: »
    Denis irwin?

Much as I like Irwin he only played until 2004? Id still have him in ahead of Neville at right full though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Lampard, Scholes, Pires and RVN should all be there imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Denis irwin?
    Maybe a contender in the Team of the Decade for the 90's, but the 00's.

Denis irwin?

Irwin played the tail end of his career at the start of the decade. Cole has played at highest level for the whole decade.

thegen wrote: »
    Much as I like Irwin he only played until 2004? Id still have him in ahead of Neville at right full though.

But he's a far superior player.

Ronaldo wasn't a great player for the last decade, he came to some consitency late 2006 so that's only 3 years at the standard he's at now on that basis shouldn't be in it eithier.

Irwin played the tail end of his career at the start of the decade. Cole has played at highest level for the whole decade.

but it's not called andy gray's longest played at the highest level during the last decade.

if it was ronaldo wouldn't be in it eithier, roy keane dropped off 2005, where are we drawing the line on amount of time played during the decade?

berkamp was pretty useless from 05 onwards another 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

But he's a far superior player.

Ronaldo wasn't a great player for the last decade, he came to some consitency late 2006 so that's only 3 years at the standard he's at now on that basis shouldn't be in it eithier.

Agreed he is far superior to Neville, but I would not have Neville anywhere near a team of the decade. Finnan would also be ahead of Neville.

but it's not called andy gray's longest played at the highest level during the last decade.

if it was ronaldo wouldn't be in it eithier, roy keane dropped off 2005, where are we drawing the line on amount of time played during the decade?

berkamp was pretty useless from 05 onwards another 5 years.

No but it is the best players of the past 10 years. Cole has been the best or second best left back for every one of the last ten seasons.

Irwin played 21 games for United in 2000-01 and 12 games in 2001-02.

Look at the list of his accolades:
    Premier League (7): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01
    FA Cup (3): 1994, 1996, 1999
    League Cup (1): 1992
    UEFA Champions League (1): 1999
    Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1991
    European Super Cup (1): 1991
    Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999

Every single one is from the 90's.

You could make a compelling argument for Evra if you want but Irwin just shouldn't come into any discussion for the past 10 years.

thegen wrote: »
    Agreed he is far superior to Neville, but I would not have Neville anywhere near a team of the decade. Finnan would also be ahead of Neville.

Ah jesus, you have gone an done it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ashley Cole has been one of the best left-backs in the world for a decade now, while Evra is also one of the best at this stage, he doesn't have the same longevity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement