Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a HMDI cable

• 31-12-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Hi, got a new 360 last week, and now want to buy a HMDI to complete my joy!

Where online would one find a good deal on one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

I bought one from ebay for €3.50 Delivered

Arrived yesterday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

€6.50 in Tesco! (Tesco brand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

harvey norman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

8.99 in power city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Hi, got a new 360 last week, and now want to buy a HMDI to complete my joy!

Where online would one find a good deal on one?

Dont fall into the trap of being sold a 'Super-dee-duper Monster Gold-plated' HDMI Cable for rip off prices

The Really cheap ones are just as good as the really expensive ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

craze7 wrote: »
    €6.50 in Tesco! (Tesco brand)

Might drop in tomorrow and grab one their , give it a go anyway, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I got the tesco value one for €6.50 and it works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Xtra Vision an Game also do some for under a tenner.
    Never pay more than that for a standard length (2m) cable.
    A digital signal will either work or not work.
    There is no in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Just a warning the tesco's ones are very hit and miss my friend has gone through 3 or 4 of them in the last 2 months so he bought one from power city and he says the clarity on it is alot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Evolute wrote: »
    Just a warning the tesco's ones are very hit and miss my friend has gone through 3 or 4 of them in the last 2 months so he bought one from power city and he says the clarity on it is alot better

I think your friend might have believed it to be clearer, but as long as there was a picture coming through on the Tesco cable then it was the EXACT same unless he messed with the TV settings.

HDMI is a digital standard, the 1's and 0's are sent down the wire to the receiver (TV). It doesn't matter if you use a €5 cable, or a €45 cable, as long as the ones and zeroes get down the line then they'll both produce the exact same result.

Now if you buy a dodgy cable, and some zeroes and ones don't make it that's a different story, but you can clearly tell when this happens because the picture won't work or will work intermittently.

Gold plating, high copper and all those other fancy cable terms are useful for analog signals only so don't let the marketing hype fool you.

Cheaper cables can be picked up on ebay if you're not in a rush, I've got two Tesco ones here and they're grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its digital, it either works or it doesn't, there is no in between

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Tesco ftw, i have had two of them plugged in for months with no problems!

Just found a gamestop voucher for 8 quid, rang up, they sell them for 12 so I'll pop in there and get one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Bought one in Xtravision last week for €5, was an 'Orb' brand one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

one of the only issues i've found with some of the cheaper cables is that they don't stand up to multiple insertions/removals very well, had the ends of a couple of cheapies come apart in my hands.

however the average user will plug it in once and forget about it. however, i stick to the well made cheaper online brands just bought a 6m from UKHDMI and have used them befre no problem.

To Touching Virus my friend uses the hdmi on his xbox and his ps3 which re in different rooms and most of them broke too easily
    The reason he said the clairty was better was probably because the constant insertion and removal had damaged the cable.
    He used it in two seperate rooms on two seperate tvs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

To Touching Virus my friend uses the hdmi on his xbox and his ps3 which re in different rooms and most of them broke too easily
    The reason he said the clairty was better was probably because the constant insertion and removal had damaged the cable.
    He used it in two seperate rooms on two seperate tvs

that still wouldn't affect clarity, when the cables i mentioned above broke they could never be used again

Got the 13 euro one from gamestop,works a treat, only problem is the hd tv is in another room than my router so no Live, so still need to work out how to connect to Live via hooking xbox to laptop, but thats a whole other thread :D

A long ethernet cable should do the job for ya

mossym wrote: »
    that still wouldn't affect clarity, when the cables i mentioned above broke they could never be used again

Everytime he took them out there would be a new scratch on it because something effected the quality on it because it was terrible compared to when he bought his new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Everytime he took them out there would be a new scratch on it because something effected the quality on it because it was terrible compared to when he bought his new one.

This is off topic, but you could put a million scratches into the outside of the HDMI connector. It's a digital cable, it works until it doesn't. And when I say it doesn't, I mean it doesn't work at all. It doesn't degrade like scratching off the gold plating on a hi-fi cable would :)

Well it was something to do with the cable because he didnt change any settings and all that changed was the cable. So there had to be something wrong with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Got one 3m one from here a few weeks back. does the trick. Salesman in power city told me I need to buy a 89.99 Belkin one!

Got one 3m one from here a few weeks back. does the trick. Salesman in power city told me I need to buy a 89.99 Belkin one!

Lol thats upselling they will all try that and some people are thick enough to fall for it.
    But imho they deserve it for going without a clue what they are supposed to be getting and expecting the salesman to not bend them over a bench or a HDTV stand

Advertisement