Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winstons is going WHOOOSH stage left!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

looks to me like they are proposing to develop a shopping centre with multiple units and employment opportunities, if this worries you then you have a serious problem. maybe you buy all your clothes there and worry about the construction period, try heatons. perhaps supermacs will take a unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

wexfjord wrote: »
    looks to me like they are proposing to develop a shopping centre with multiple units and employment opportunities ...
    On what do you base that analysis?

And even if accurate, do you really think Kilkenny can support more retail units right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Seems to be the whole shop unit is up for lease! At a time when Mac Donagh has struggled and other shop are empty this was bad foresight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

was just in there the other day, one floor is taken by NAME IT kids clothes and womens is ONLY on another floor, cant remember what the mens section was, were these always part of winstons or have they just resently taken floor's i know next floor up is household and top floor is going to be restaraaunt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

looks to me like they are proposing to develop a shopping centre with multiple units and employment opportunities, if this worries you then you have a serious problem. maybe you buy all your clothes there and worry about the construction period, try heatons. perhaps supermacs will take a unit?
    Nice to get a visit from the style police!
    Firstly as construction is more or less complete the part of you post regarding construction period is irrelevant.
    Secondly where I buy my clothes or shop in general is irrelevant. As for your snide comment on Heatons and in effect all who shop there, Heatons is a thriving business nationwide providing multiple employment opportunities both directly and indirectly.
    As for your divining my problems down a broadband line, I make no apology for being concerned about the commercial developments taking place in my native city which I love and where I provide employment in a sane and sensible environment. If more people who were on the ground had been listened to regarding the commercial development of Kilkenny the economic life of the city would be in a lot healthier state. In Kilkenny the idea of "if you build it they will come" does not work. If however you build what people want -they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

"Former" brewery indeed...Diageo are still manufacturing/brewing strong in Kilkenny and lets hope they will for years to come :)

t63m wrote: »
    Nice to get a visit from the style police!
    Firstly as construction is more or less complete the part of you post regarding construction period is irrelevant.
    Secondly where I buy my clothes or shop in general is irrelevant. As for your snide comment on Heatons and in effect all who shop there, Heatons is a thriving business nationwide providing multiple employment opportunities both directly and indirectly.
    As for your divining my problems down a broadband line, I make no apology for being concerned about the commercial developments taking place in my native city which I love and where I provide employment in a sane and sensible environment. If more people who were on the ground had been listened to regarding the commercial development of Kilkenny the economic life of the city would be in a lot healthier state. In Kilkenny the idea of "if you build it they will come" does not work. If however you build what people want -they will.

I was not aware that the project was completed as there is very little of interest in kilkenny to warrant regular visits.

Not a bad word did i say about heatons, perhaps your prejudices have permitted you to come to that conclusion.

Regarding your gripe about this and similar developments, its up to you and your peers to elect local politicians who will take on board your recommendations when it comes to development plans and indeed the granting of planning for individual developments. There is also a facility for you to submit an objection to planning and if sufficient people support you, you could do a whiparound to cover the cost and add their names to the objection to give it credibility. No point whingeing now bud.

Kilkenny can be a nice place to visit, hopefully you will divert your frustrations into something positive and make it all that it can be.

Have tesco encroached upon your city yet, they seem to be an unstoppable force who can do untold damage to a local economy and indeed society. They have destroyed entire communities in the UK and are possibly responsible for alot of civil degeneration. Granted they provide employment, but for most its menial, poorly paid work with few prospects.

Regarding my first post, it was possibly slightly tongue in cheek but was in reply to what i thought was a fairly open ended statement that was open to several interpretations.

Ps. Style police i aint, trust me.

Style police?/ Or Green Police whats the difference -that old hoary Tesco chesnut again. Tesco the Great Satan The Whore of Babylon etc., ad naseum SCAAAAARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what is it you want from this life?

what is it you want from this life?

Try posting in Green issues, or Religion & Spirituality they are on the "Soc" drop down Menu at the top of the page

-by the way I've always wanted to make love in a Tesco. I love the idea of the cameras- especially by the rice cake section.
    I think I'll start a "Tesco Love In" movement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

1,2,3,4 I declare a boards war.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

t63m wrote: »
    Try posting in Green issues, or Religion & Spirituality they are on the "Soc" drop down Menu at the top of the page

-by the way I've always wanted to make love in a Tesco. I love the idea of the cameras- especially by the rice cake section.
    I think I'll start a "Tesco Love In" movement.

Getting access to the location shouldnt be a problem, the only problem is finding an animal dumb enough to find you attractive.

Thanks for the laughs by the way.

You seem to have given me some thoughts pertaining to the matter!
    Where did you say the Rice cakes are in Tesco? You seem to be familiar with the layout GREEN AND MEAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!

Nice to see that someone who displayed some level of intelligence only hours ago has descended into such a mess, I'd like to think I'm somewhat responsible for your current state of mind. :eek:

All the best to you in the New Year and as I said, Thanks for the laughs, the world would be a different place if there were more people like you to entertain us all.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Am I the only one who has no idea what is going on in this thread?

1:there is very little of interest in kilkenny to warrant regular visits.
    2:Have tesco encroached upon your city yet, they seem to be an unstoppable force who can do untold damage to a local economy and indeed society. They have destroyed entire communities in the UK and are possibly responsible for a lot of civil degeneration. Granted they provide employment, but for most its menial, poorly paid work with few prospects.
    1: There is very little of interest in Kilkenny?
    2:Green zealotism -Christian fanaticism supplanted by green gobbledigook

Have fun on the allotment

ergonomics wrote: »

Sorry the original thread was infiltrated or should i say infested- fumigation has been completed successfully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

wexfjord and t63m Are you two on drugs or off your head, what the hell are the two off ye on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

ergonomics wrote: »

Well I didn't want to look stupid, but now that you mention it.....

Sorry if I went astray! I was defending our citys honour!

• Advertisement

Apology accepted.;)

Apology accepted.;)
    Lets be crystal clear I was'nt apologising to you. I was clarifying matters for the previous poster

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Pueblo this thread should be published under a catchy title like "PS I Bored You"

Pueblo this thread should be published under a catchy title like "PS I Bored You"

publish and be damned :p

Back on topic, whats the deal with Winnies?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Some people got lost on their way to TCN

Licksy wrote: »
    Some people got lost on their way to TCN
    TCN?

Ya, that winstons thing is fairly serious, i think it warrants further discussion.

...........anyone?

Blueberry are doing the cafe. Everything else is for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

TCN?

The Cuckoos Nest It is a forum for general Sillyness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement