Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scrappage scheme question?

• 31-12-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

quick question, if you buy a car under this scheme is there any limit on how quick you can sell/transfer ownership?
    have searched online, but cant find an answer.
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I doubt it. Once you buy something, its yours to do whatever you want with. Unless you're on hire purchase or something.

Note: I don't know, this is just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rosenstocktakeh

No, nothing - basically it is an incentive to get people to buy cars again.

Mind you with the market, even if gets a small bounce, you would take a massive hit if you sell on the car in the next year or two.

Anybody buying a new car now is in a second long-term relationship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

If you're looking to make money on an old scrapper it won't work
    €1500 depreciation is nothing on a one owner car as against a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm thinking that the OP maybe looking to avail of the scrapage scheme for someone else who doesn't qualify for it. A relative perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭kindalen

collect your prize bazz, or should i say sherlock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Why not just buy the car (on their behalf, but not mentioning them) and when you're registering the car ask the salesperson to register the car to the third-party? Is that allowed under the scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

-Chris- wrote: »
    Why not just buy the car (on their behalf, but not mentioning them) and when you're registering the car ask the salesperson to register the car to the third-party? Is that allowed under the scheme?

Has to be registered to the scrapper, otherwise no chance.

can anyone post a link to the actual terms and conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

kindalen wrote: »
    can anyone post a link to the actual terms and conditions?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-scrappage-scheme.html
    The car being scrapped:

must be registered in the State in the name of the registered owner of the new car for at least 18 months previous to the date of scrappage;
    must be 10 years old or more from the date of first registration;
    must be scrapped on or after 10 December 2009;
    must be scrapped within 60 days of the date of the new car being registered, or have been scrapped within 60 days immediately before the date of the new car being registered;
    must have a valid NCT test certificate, or one that has expired no more than 90 days immediately before the date of scrappage or documentation to indicate that it has been presented for and failed an NCT roadworthiness test in the previous 6 months;
    must have been insured for use on the road for at least 12 months in the 18 months immediately prior to the date of scrappage

am i correct if i say thta if my car was last insured till the end of august i have till the end of feb to use deal? or if i do the just scrap car at the end of february i have another 60 days to do deal?
    to scrap car myself is there any cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

kindalen wrote: »
    quick question, if you buy a car under this scheme is there any limit on how quick you can sell/transfer ownership?

I've heard someone say a garage told them they could sell/transfer ownership the next day. Someone else said a garage told them they would have to have it registered in their name for a month before transferring.

Apparently it's quite common to get the owner of the scrappage car to buy the new car and then sell/transfer the new car to the person who really wanted the new car.

Don't know how the revenue would view it though. Garages have to keep all docs for 4 years i think to be inspected by revenue.

Advertisement