Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating total resistance in this circuit

Options
  • 31-12-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭

First of all, I apologise for picture. It was the closest resemblence I could find.:o

To find the total resistance, do you add the bottom two resistors together and then use the parallel formula to calculate the total resistance with the remaining resistor? (if that makes sence)

OR

Do you treat the whole circuit as a parallel circuit and just sub each resistor into the parallel formula.

My head is telling me it's the first way but I'm not quite sure.

series_parallel.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

The first way is right for resistors. Those symbols look more like lamps tho - but the idea is still more or less the same i.e. bottom two lamps connected in series, top lamp is in parallel with the resulting series combination of the bottom two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The first way is right for resistors. Those symbols look more like lamps tho - but the idea is still more or less the same i.e. bottom two lamps connected in series, top lamp is in parallel with the resulting series combination of the bottom two.

Thanks, my brain just went a bit blank on that one! Cheers

Advertisement