Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cigarettes go up tonight !!!

• 31-12-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Just for any smokers on here, Gallagher, who make silk cut and benson, have just increased the cost of 20 cigarettes.

SC Purple were 8.45 and now have a RRP 8.50

This is not an increase of 5 cent however. VAT goes down half a percent tonight, so, based on John Player Blue (who are unaffected by an increase) going down by 3 cent from 8.40 to 8.37, then its appoximately an increase of 8c on the Gallagher range. (5 you can see + 3 you cannot)

Dont shoot the shop assistant in the morning !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Bloody filthy rich shopkeepers ripping off the public again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Shelflife wrote: »
    Bloody filthy rich shopkeepers ripping off the public again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

To right!

On a serious note, I have the notice from Gallagher/JTI announcing it, stuck to the till for customers to read. I am not going to take any crap about this in the morning.

I may even stick their phone number on the bottom of it. :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

But you have already bought your stock.

Surely the price should only go up when you buy your next batch of higher priced stock from Gallaghers, no? :confused:

The point is the manufacturers have put up the price. By mixing in the VAT decrease at the same time, Gallagher have made it impossible to see what the increase really is. I have reduced the John Player range already as thats clear.

This stock was also bought in at the old price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thanks for explaining

But what I'm asking is why is the stock in your shop going up today when it the shop owner bought it at the old price.

I would have thought the price will increase when you get the next order from Gallaghers in.
    You did say the shop assistant will be taking hassle so the shop must be putting up prices immediately even though they have cheaper stock

• Advertisement

Because this is not the recommended retail price.

Recommended as in : the supplier says we should sell at this price.

Gallagher prices went up, John Player prices went down. Should I leave the John Player prices up as well due to me buying them in last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Just for any smokers on here, Gallagher, who make silk cut and benson, have just increased the cost of 20 cigarettes.

This is not an increase of 5 cent however. VAT goes down half a percent tonight, so, based on John Player Blue (who are unaffected by an increase) going down by 3 cent from 8.40 to 8.37, then its appoximately an increase of 8c on the Gallagher range. (5 you can see + 3 you cannot)

ah well, new year its time to give them up, friend died last month from lung cancer, very painful, left behind 3 kids under 6.

sold wrote: »
    ah well, new year its time to give them up, friend died last month from lung cancer, very painful, left behind 3 kids under 6.

I guess thats put everything else in the shade.

I am glad to see the back of 2009. It can only get better - even just a little bit - but it has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Gallagher prices went up, John Player prices went down. Should I leave the John Player prices up as well due to me buying them in last week?

A "recommended retail price" is just that a recommended price.

Stores can charge a lower or higher price if they choose to do so (if not the competition authority should be investigating it!)

Just my own opinion but I don't think I could sleep at night if my livelihood depended on selling addictive substances that have been proven to be a major cause of death, but I suppose someone has to sell them and I am lucky enough to have some choice of how I earn my living unlike many these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Well yes, it would seem reasonable to do so. As you said yourself in the thread on wine & duty.
    the stock was purchased and the duty paid at the old rate. Revenue has admitted that it is ok for retailers to sell through this stock at the old price as they will not be giving refunds.

Otherwise the retailers will take a serious hit. It has been in the news this week that one wholesaler -Gleesons, are looking at a hit of a million quid.

This is reasonable.

So, now you know.

You will get people moaning no matter what you do. Karpackie beer still has 4 for €5 packaging, but 2 offies I was in were charging €4.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its hard to keep everyone happy, i usually give 4-6 days grace in the case of a cig increase and in the case of the alcohol i did the same.

superscouse i hope that you are right about this year but i fear that a lot of the smaller shops will hit the wall. there is alot of personal debt out there that will come home to roost this year.

have to say that i think it will be a tough year in the retail trade.

Its hard to keep everyone happy, i usually give 4-6 days grace in the case of a cig increase and in the case of the alcohol i did the same.

superscouse i hope that you are right about this year but i fear that a lot of the smaller shops will hit the wall. there is alot of personal debt out there that will come home to roost this year.

Quite correct !

I have cut back so much, my bankers didnt accept my figures. I am running wages at 5% of gross sales and have stood in this spot behind the counter since 9am.

Anyone thats wants to call me a robber, for putting up the smokes, as I bought them last week, is welcome to, but they wont be going down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

bloody hell, will major cigs go up as well,cost of living coming down me a$$:(

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

oh no! 5 cent! that's me busted for sure - now I cant afford to burn 50 euro notes in the fire to keep warm while i smoke my tits off!

if you cant afford to smoke then quit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

it will be tough but to what level. Have we not seen rock bottom yet? I think were not far from it however i dont see any growth this year but I see it remaing steady from here till 2011

Also it depends on whats happen locally for you. A recent local factory or such close down is going to hurt bad however if nothing changes it should be straight forward enough year with little surprises of course the banks are going to have to come to the party and help.

the reduction in VAT and excise will help a little though. People will see it as a chance to spend less ie same basket of good less money for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

i dont believe it!!paid 8.35 for 20 major down from 8.40,first time i've ever seen cigs coming down in price in irl,i know its the vat reduction,still robbing me this addiction is!!now 4 that cup of coffee and a..................

Advertisement