Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about tax

• 31-12-2009 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am just back from a year of travelling- my car was not in use on a public road while I was away.
    I a looking to renew the tax on it now- will I have to pay tax for it for the year I was away or can I provide some sort of proof that I did not use the car?

Thanks

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

You need to go to your local Garda station. They have a form there that you can fill out declaring that the car was off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If your car has a timing belt have it replaced as they tend to fail on laid up engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

aujopimur wrote: »
    If your car has a timing belt have it replaced as they tend to fail on laid up engines.

My dad was driving the car on private land once a week to try and keep it "alive" so I'm hoping it will still be in decent condition on the inside- fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I doubt the Guards will do this for you. They have no proof it was off the road. You're supposed to get them to certify it's off the road BEFORE you go away.

I have all my documentation to prove I was out of the country and there is no one else with an insurance policy for my car so I'm hoping this will be enough to prove it was off the road.. here's hoping.

• Advertisement

I have gotten my car signed off the road a few times.

The gardai have never once asked me for proof that it's been off the road. Nothing. They just sign the form.

Bring the tax renewal form, your drivers license and our proof that you were out of the country to the garda station. I doubt you'll have any hassle.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭rodberg007

You won't have a problem whatsoever but just bring the paper work to show you were out of the country the only thing they might do is check if the car was stopped at a checkpoint or reported for speeding fines etc. but it shouldn't be a problem. Let us know how you get on.

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

As far as I know, guards don't care whether car was off road or not. You are stating that car was off road and they are just witnessing your signature. I don't think they look for any proof..........but if you have it, no harm in bringing it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

there is no problem declaring a car off the road. the big thing here is that you are making a declaration...and making a false declaration is an offence

your case is genuine though...no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

The Gaurds will stamp the form no problem.

Did this several times when I travelled for work, and recently on a car I wasn't using when work gave me a van.

Car was off the road for 7 months. Local Gardai stamped form no questions asked.

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone!!!! :)

eth0_ wrote: »
    I doubt the Guards will do this for you. They have no proof it was off the road. You're supposed to get them to certify it's off the road BEFORE you go away.

False, False, False ;)
    I have had these forms stamped a few times this year, on each occasion I had proof that the car was not insured for the period I was declaring non use for, as said by a poster above the Guards are happy to stamp and sign the declaration without you proving the car was indeed not in use. I would not dream or recommend anyone to declare their car has been off the road when it has been used on the road as you could well be in serious trouble if found out.

I was going to put the false false false in caps for you to go with the BEFORE but I thought it would be a bit childish.

Advertisement