Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water in taps but only warm in shower

• 31-12-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

When using the immersion the water in the taps gets hot but the water temp in the shower is only warm. I would have thought the stat set to 60 degrees and on bath it would heat the water enough.
    When using the Gas central heating the temp needs to be up really high,around 90 degress,(which causes pressure gauge to go into the red) to have a hot shower.

The showers are on a Newteam pump.With 1 pipe connected to the hot water supply
    Its an indirect system I think.

Is there anything I can do to improve shower temp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

When using the immersion the water in the taps gets hot but the water temp in the shower is only warm. I would have thought the stat set to 60 degrees and on bath it would heat the water enough.
    When using the Gas central heating the temp needs to be up really high,around 90 degress,(which causes pressure gauge to go into the red) to have a hot shower.

The showers are on a Newteam pump.With 1 pipe connected to the hot water supply
    Its an indirect system I think.

Is there anything I can do to improve shower temp

If you have two different heats coming from two different locations, something is up with one of them. If your taps are roasting after turning up boiler way to far, just to have a hot shower, provided shower is coming from same hot supply as tap, then you have a shower problem.

What type of shower valve (in shower) do you have? If it's a thermostatic shower valve, the cartridge might need replacing as it's not allowing the right temp to pass through.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

Dont know what type of valve is in the shower. I'll just have to get the plumber to look at it.

Think I found a thermal cutoff on the immersion element and it seemed to click back in, should help on that side.Didnt even realise that it was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Dont know what type of valve is in the shower. I'll just have to get the plumber to look at it.

Think I found a thermal cutoff on the immersion element and it seemed to click back in, should help on that side.Didnt even realise that it was there.

Most new immersions have a small reset button, part of regulation now. If temp in cylinder is to high immersion will sense it, then lock out. I've seen them lock out from too much heat coming from boiler, might be worth looking into.

A thermostatic shower is bulky, if your shower looks big, big enough to hold some parts inside, its more often than not, its a thermostatic shower. If your house was built in last 10 years or so, again good indication of having thermo valve fitted.

Depending on model of shower valve, if its standard enough should be no problem replacing cartridge (if your shower is thermo) prices around 30 to 60 euro. If your shower has always been like that, it could be piped the wrong way, cold going into hot side, hot going into cold side, a thermo shower piped that way will act just like yours. Happens a fair bit.

Best of luck.

Advertisement