Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Irish club reaching the Champions League group stages

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

04072511 wrote: »
    They would be supporting the Irish team for the wrong reasons though.
    Hopefully a good number would come back and see the team again though. If you look at how the Rovers v Real Madrid game panned out, there were plenty of Irish people in Madrid attire yet the publicity has done Rovers the world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes think of all the venues, Dalymount would be great to stage Champions league football. Still the home of Irish football for me. Amazed how it was never properly developed as a stadium and an indictment of how we let both Milltown and Dalymount flounder.
    What's the last time you were in Dalyer?

It's a kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Des wrote: »
    What's the last time you were in Dalyer?

It's a kip.

Ah now Des, the grass growing through the uncovered stands really brightens up the place to be fair. :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ah now Des, the grass growing through the uncovered stands really brightens up the place to be fair. :)

Dalyer doesn't have an uncovered stand afaik.

The Connaught isn't a stand, it's a terrace. And it's a disgrace of a terrace too.

Is there grass growing in the Jodi or the DK?

But not to pick on just Dalyer, the other stadia used by Dublin teams, apart from Tallaght obv, are all a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dalyer doesn't have an uncovered stand afaik.

The Connaught isn't a stand, it's a terrace. And it's a disgrace of a terrace too.

But not to pick on just Dalyer, the other stadia used by Dublin teams, apart from Tallaght obv, are all a disgrace.

Sorry, by "uncovered stand", I of course meant terrace.

And yeah, they're all lacking in one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

71226287_b622a6daf6.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

?????????????

I assume by organic growth he means assembling a team based on real revenue streams: gates, merchandising and what not. And not using money you don't have to build the team.

Thing about the latter is that you get a few seasons at most to make the break before the club gets into difficulties whereas hypothetically the former would provide a steady means of having a tilt at qualification year-in, year-out.

The conundrum of the latter is, however, that punters won't come and the money (if it was there) would actually be far better used to update the stadia.

I think it's the old mossy terrace that's been referred to? The condemned one at the shopping centre end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wait, why's this being discussed? Celtic have made the Champions League many times. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

SantryRed wrote: »
    Wait, why's this being discussed? Celtic have made the Champions League many times. :p

And the Boston Celtics have won a fair few NBA titles. Another example of a great "Irish" team! :-P

• Advertisement

Not forgetting Panathinaikos with their shamrock

Panathinaikos.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Oscar, looking back at the Red Bull game and thinking about how Boh's matched up to them (leaving aside the result), what percentage of the time do you think they would progress from that type of tie?

As I say it was the toughest possible tie at that stage, disproportionally so because of Red Bulls money, Im not saying its easy for a team to get to the group stages Im saying its slightly less difficult than it was. Getting to the Europa group stages through losing the final qualifying round is probably the most that can be hoped for at the moment.

As for Dalymount, apart from the Jodi stand its falling apart, but with an average attendance of 2000 or so we really dont need to maintain a top quality 8000 seater Dalymount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All forgetting Derry City getting very close to in 2006 losing 2-0 to PSG in the Uefa Cup 1st round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I used to try doing this on Championship Manager the odd time. Very very hard even in a damn video game heh

I even went into the editor and gave myself as Bohs manager a **** ton of money (some billionaire wanted a toy in Ireland ;) ) and I couldn't do it as even though I could pay top wages, no really good players would join me.

Trying to do it in FIFA 10 right now with Bohs and it seems Irish teams don't even have Champions League in the game? Which is really annoying. Spent two seasons playing for no reason.

But in real life...anything can happen. I would absolutely love to see it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Generally don't give a toss about Irish football (although I do like to see Dundalk do well) but I would love to see an Irish team in the CL.

What if the Irish team got Liverpool!?
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm not the biggest fan of Irish football but I'm a bit of a passenger when it comes to Irish teams qualifying for either the Europa League or Champions League. Was at the Pats game last year against Salzburg.

Not sure if you meant it, but genius.:D
    All forgetting Derry City getting very close to in 2006 losing 2-0 to PSG in the Uefa Cup 1st round

See the title OP, Irish not British.;)

What if the Irish team got Liverpool!?

Not sure if you meant it, but genius.:D

See the title OP, Irish not British.;)

Most be hard to admit that the team who so far as come closest to the group stages of either the Champions League or now Europa League representing Ireland is from Britian ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Most be hard to admit that the team who so far as come closest to the group stages of either the Champions League or now Europa League representing Ireland is from Britian ;)

But we're talking about the Champions League, not UEFA Cup/Europa League.

It's one of the best times ever for supporters to get a decent away trip in Europe, and even nicer when your team has a good go at decent European opposition, but any Irish football supporter should be prioritizing the survival of the league here and not constantly dreaming of some mythical European run that's going to pay off your debts (usually spent to get into Europe anyway) and get the public off the barstools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Voltwad wrote: »
    Hopefully a good number would come back and see the team again though.
    I'm fairly sure they wouldn't. Any time a "big" team plays an Irish team here, the fair-weathers that show up are never seen again.
    Voltwad wrote: »
    If you look at how the Rovers v Real Madrid game panned out, there were plenty of Irish people in Madrid attire yet the publicity has done Rovers the world of good.
    Good publicity yes, increased attendances as a result of it? I doubt it. The increased attendances this year last year were almost completely down to the novelty factor and Rovers' league position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

GO'S wrote: »
    limerick fc had real madrid in the final round ages ago won 1 nil away and then lost 5 nil at home i think

They lost 2-1 in Lansdowne Road and 5-1 in Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Derry are an Irish club and if they considered themselves british they wouldnt be travelling south to play games every other week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It's a kip.

Its beautiful

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Derry are an Irish club and if they considered themselves british they wouldnt be travelling south to play games every other week!

Suggest you look at why Derry play in the LoI and not the IL.;)

TonyD79 wrote: »

I know they are an Irish team I am from Derry its just the $hels fan trying to stir up trouble as per usual.

To correct him they are a Northern Irish team, British teams are from England, Scotland and Wales as thats the Island of Great Britian. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland.

$hels

:eek: lol

That Dollar sign is pretty funny.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

hopefully - which will really p*ss off Irish Celtic fans who look down at LOI fans and accuse them of not being "true nationalists" because they don't follow THE BHOYS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anything can happen. Some big investor might pump money into club and go all the way.

Never say never but at this moment the thrid round and spot in Europa league is best they will get at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I don't know if it will happen but I hope it doesn't.

The only way for the league to progress is for teams to cut back become sustainable and slowly build. Otherwise we'll be getting nowhere with maybe one team getting stronger (if they were to qualify). Hopefully it will happen but not any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I know one Irish team getting to the group stages of the CL might give them a big financial advantage over other teams in the league but the benefits from one team making it might also help the other teams. People may get more interested in their local LOI team, sponsorship might increase, the leagues profile would be increased, better european co-efficients etc.

However i can't see an Irish team making te group stages anytime soon. I'd like to see it but realistically it probably won't happen for another decade at least.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

People may get more interested in their local LOI team, sponsorship might increase, the leagues profile would be increased, better european co-efficients etc. .
    They might, but apart from some fans who decide to stay on after the big matches for the one team that do make it, I'd say it would fall away quick enough, until the next big European night. Cynical I know, but that's just the impression I get from the Irish public regarding the LOI

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Sporting Fingal are the Rosenborg of this new decade, mark my words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I would love to see an Irish team in the CL but not yet, I don't think an Irish side is ready yet and I'm afraid they would get thrashed. The Europa League sounds more promising and more realistic.

I think Irish sides in the past few seasons have been knocking on the door of Europe - Derry City, St. Pat's and Shamrock Rovers have all done well against the odds. Derry City usually have a decent run in Europe but I don't know what is going to happen this season, they are not even in the league?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers
    You do realise Rovers haven't been in europe since 2003?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

flahavaj wrote: »
    Sporting Fingal are the Rosenborg of this new decade, mark my words.

Milan will love Morton's old world charm.

Fungus are the Chelsea of Ireland, the sugar daddy runs and the club will be f*cked.

Fungus are the Chelsea of Ireland, the sugar daddy runs and the club will be f*cked.

I agree, but in fairness, it seems to be the dominant model of the last 15 years unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stovelid wrote: »
    I agree, but in fairness, it seems to be the dominant model of the last 15 years unfortunately.

Not long since people were saying that about $H€£$

Not long since people were saying that about $H€£$

That's the thing about this league: everyone loves benefactors until they leg it.

Advertisement