Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inline Fitness/Speed Skating in Dublin

• 31-12-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I've been wanting to get back in to skating. I did it all the time as a kid, both figure and speed on quads and ice. I'm looking to get back into speed skating, only this time I want to do it on inline skates. It's great for fitness.

Does anyone know of a good place in Dublin where I can easily skate 8-10mph (12-16 kmph) for a good distance? I'm looking to skate a 3-4 days a week for about 2 hours at the pace mentioned. It's been awhile since I have skated regularly and am looking to build my fitness and stamina for over the next several month.

Any info would be much appreciated? Also, if anyone is interested in training together, that would be great too?

I'm also looking for a cheap pair of used/new speed skates, if anyone has any ideas.

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

The Pheonix Park has some good tracks using the cycle paths, although might need to wait for the ice to melt first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

The Pheonix Park has some good tracks using the cycle paths, although might need to wait for the ice to melt first.

Thanks. Yeah, I know. I got lucky with my return flight. Got home yesterday and the airport closed today. I didn't realise how bad it was here whilst in the Netherlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Horribly difficult to find somewhere to skate in Dublin I think. Especially with the weather. I've a pair of skates arriving soon but I won't be using them outside as I dont want to wreack the bearings. Even on a dry day here, it's always still a little damp.

As for the skates, ordering from America is probably the best bet. There is some good advice here http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20783 on what to choose. Good pads would probably be as important as the skates.

If you find somewhere with enough space, that is also warm and cosy, let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gippart

yeah, I'd love to get back into blading again (used to do it when i was 12/13). Just having trouble finding skates that fit me and wont break the bank. Any help or advice would be great.... I'm size 11, which doesn't help much X(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xunkk

I'm looking for good places to long-distance skate, too, if anyone has a suggestion for around the Galway area. I love my Rollerblade Crossfire 8.0 skates, although they start to overpressure my outside calves at around the 2 hour mark. The larger wheels make rough pavement a little easier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement