Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First car

• 01-01-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm 15 years old and I have an automatic micra at home for messing around in and a civic before that but im thinking of buying a proper car til im 17.

So I dont have much money so i saw a black corsa here on donedeal.
    I no its a 1.6 (harder to insure) but I think its good, even to keep to sell later on.
    So what do ye all think?
    Thanks very much,
    Luke Delaney.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

looks like a death trap

if you tried to insure that as a 1.6 first thing they'll ask for is an engineers report to prove the work has been done competently

and if you don't declare the changes and it's in an accident where insurance investigators are called in
    you'll be left with a hefty legal bill to settle if they have pay out to another driver

Look at the warning signs in the ad "needs altenator" - so I guarantee you can't even hear the engine running

- NCT only till Jan

- No tax meaning its been off the road for a while

I'm all for engine conversions, it's something I'm going to undertake this year,
    but when time comes to sell, it will come with an engineers report
    to certify the work on the engine, suspension, brakes and transmission have all been done to a safe standard

besides even a standard un abused corsa of that age with an nct would just about make €500

you'd end up spending thousands on the thing and won't see back a penny

Keep your money

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lissacahaluke

I suppose he would have mentioned if he actually had an engineers report for the conversion?
    Thanks for your point of view, I was only looking at it as a cheap good looking small car.
    Thanks again!

if you tried to insure that as a 1.6 first thing they'll ask for is an engineers report to prove the work has been done competently

Many insurers insist on an NCT being carried out, engineers report is not necessary in most cases.
    Also that Corsa is being sold for parts. If it is just the alternator that needs attention it would be very easy to verify all is well with the engine before purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I'm only repeating what quinn told me when I was finding out what would be needed when I change my own engine.

I'd be placing a much more powerful refurbushed 2litre instead of a 1.6 and having the work done in the uk, along with fitting a close ratio gearbox

They where ok with me just declaring the brake upgrade all round and didn't even increase my premium
    but when it came to enquiring about changing the engine for a more powerful one they where clear it would be needed
    and my car would then be insured in the same insurance group as the donor car

OP: I doubt they ever declared the change to insurance companies in the past - keep your money, looks a bit dodgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

I'm only repeating what quinn told me when I was finding out what would be needed when I change my own engine.

I'd be placing a much more powerful refurbushed 2litre instead of a 1.6 and having the work done in the uk, along with fitting a close ratio gearbox

They where ok with me just declaring the brake upgrade all round and didn't even increase my premium
    but when it came to enquiring about changing the engine for a more powerful one they where clear it would be needed
    and my car would then be insured in the same insurance group as the donor car

OP: I doubt they ever declared the change to insurance companies in the past - keep your money, looks a bit dodgy

it is, the amount of eejits with a bigger engine on a smaller tax book ( 1.3 with a 1.6-2.0 inside) they don't seem to realize that when they crash ( and they will ) that as soon as the insurance assessor see's that....

Yer fooked. your after scamming the insurance company, Techniqaully Driving without insurance and im pretty sure your nct may not be valid ( if you held one pre engine swap, it covers the car before mods )

Honestly. Its a mug's game...

Save up for 2 years, get a cheap civic to drive for a year or two, then buy the big engined Beemer.

• Advertisement

Hey thanks very much for taking your time to look at the ad.
    So ye are all dead against it.
    But could I not buy it and get my local mechanic to have an overall look at it especially the engine, and a letter from him to the insurance company?
    Or am I looking at it the wrong way completely?
    THanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Am I missing something?You're 15 and you're asking about buying a car and getting insured on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

OP it would seem that you like the look of the car more than anything else.

Save you money over the next 2 years then buy something like this...

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=478775&r=s.php%3Fm%3D88%26amp%3Bo%3D1098%26amp%3Bg%3D0

A much better car with the same look. ;)

Sorry but I meant I wanted to get a proper car to be driving in at home until im 17 and when Iam 17 how much of a bother would it be to get insurance when a 1.6 engine has been put into it.

OP it would seem that you like the look of the car more than anything else.

Save you money over the next 2 years then buy something like this...

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=478775&r=s.php%3Fm%3D88%26amp%3Bo%3D1098%26amp%3Bg%3D0

A much better car with the same look. ;)
    Hey its not really the looks of the corsa but the price factor is what Im looking at, and normally for that price you will only get a bucket of s**t.
    I just want a cheap, nice car to last me until im driving, and by the way all the posts are showing it i prob wont be driving this on the roads when im 17. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

but that corsa IS a bucket of Sh*t.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    but that corsa IS a bucket of Sh*t.

I knew someone would say that haha.Well thanks everyone for your help because I was going to buy her as soon as possible but now I probably wont.Thanks again,Luke Delaney.

Advertisement