Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a rabbit indoors..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Im actualy gettng one made for my guinea pigs as my other one didnt stand the weather however it was 2nd hand. rabbits are fantastic and very clever p.s. have u got him/her litter trained thats how good they are!!
    pm sent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

callie35 wrote: »
    Does anyone have advice about keeping a rabbit indoors...? Is it better for the animal to be indoors or out..? I've just been looking at rabbit hutches online and horrified at how small they are...rabbits like to run after all!

I had a big white rabbit for 10 years, he lived between my kitchen and utility by day, and slept in his hutch in the utility at night, i also carried him around on a leash in summer for about 20 minuits in the garden you would need a comfortable harness lead, he lived very happy, loved his rabbit food, chocolate, fruit cake and maderia, his teeth had to be cut back every few months as they used to get too big preventing him eating, but he was a beautiful happy bunny, he is gone 2 years now and i miss him, they need their hutch cleaned every day also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

baubl wrote: »
    I had a big white rabbit for 10 years, he lived between my kitchen and utility by day, and slept in his hutch in the utility at night, i also carried him around on a leash in summer for about 20 minuits in the garden you would need a comfortable harness lead, he lived very happy, loved his rabbit food, chocolate, fruit cake and maderia, his teeth had to be cut back every few months as they used to get too big preventing him eating, but he was a beautiful happy bunny, he is gone 2 years now and i miss him, they need their hutch cleaned every day also

No affence but that isnt a great diet, but it obviously agreed with your bunny. Plenty of fruit and veg will prevent the teeth in good condition and save a few pound from the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

No affence but that isnt a great diet, but it obviously agreed with your bunny. Plenty of fruit and veg will prevent the teeth in good condition and save a few pound from the vet.

I know that was not the best diet, but they say what dont kill you, make you happy, well that was the way for my bunny, as a matter of interest, how long do rabbits live anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Depending on a number of factors, 5-10 years I've been told.

My Leopold's teeth are misaligned too (very common with lops) and have to be trimmed back every few weeks. Diet helps keep them short but if they don't line up they become overgrown. Our vet has recommended extraction of the incisors. She says leaving them as they are will shorten his life expectancy and taking them out is the best thing for him. We'll have to chop up his veggies a bit more for him but he'll be fine.

Dennis looks lovely OP, you will have to brush that long hair for him pretty much every day but most rabbits love being groomed so it shouldn't be a problem. He might try to groom you back by licking you with his little tongue. Very cute :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement