Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trailed vs old self propelled

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭John deere 6920

Atkins in Cork have a 900 on their website €4500, last time I was up there they had two other ones as well, a very rough 900 and one new 955.
    ya i see her she not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

You`d get a spotless 1 for in between 5 & 10k no bothe if you shop around, the country is full of 900s.

dasheriff wrote: »
    You`d get a spotless 1 for in between 5 & 10k no bothe if you shop around, the country is full of 900s.
    i see a few. anywhere is cork/waterford wud be very handy. 900s must be very popular

to hume this may concern. Wat gear should i use? and shud i use 2 or 3 trailers. Our draw is fairly long between 2-3 miles ..
    harvester= Jf 900
    Tractors= zetor 9540, Moffett, Ford 8210 or 7810 and a john deere maybe?
    Trailers= Lee trailers wud be nice, or anything the can hold silage....
    Mower=John deere 1360
    Buckrake= anything that will fit moffett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Asking a lot of yer moffett to have it drawing and backing up ;)
    How hilly/heavy is your land ?
    If dry/level I wouldn't be too panicked about 4wd
    100 hp 2wd loads for drawing
    Should be easy enough to pick up 590s/7600s for handy money. Once the breaks are good and can power your trailer brakes thats all I would be concerned about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Yup farmers for the past while got a bit carried away with their tractors, for cutting silage an 8210 would be top of the line for me!! John deeres are fine but can be troublesome if their history file doesnt add up, for the rest of your year its only goin t be lyin about anyway, at least a big old reliable tractor isint eatin as much grass !!

red menace wrote: »
    Asking a lot of yer moffett to have it drawing and backing up ;)
    How hilly/heavy is your land ?
    If dry/level I wouldn't be too panicked about 4wd
    100 hp 2wd loads for drawing
    Should be easy enough to pick up 590s/7600s for handy money. Once the breaks are good and can power your trailer brakes thats all I would be concerned about
    Lol sorry moffett be on pit only.... There is 4 fields that are bad enough.. and on road there is one road very bad..... espically wit the ice ..... 590s? a 8210 wud be nice. or 7810. fords drawing wit our zetor ...... maybe a john deere 6610-6810 on harvester.

DanFindy wrote: »
    Yup farmers for the past while got a bit carried away with their tractors, for cutting silage an 8210 would be top of the line for me!! John deeres are fine but can be troublesome if their history file doesnt add up, for the rest of your year its only goin t be lyin about anyway, at least a big old reliable tractor isint eatin as much grass !!
    I love 8210s .. i drove one drawing silage unreal tractor to go and the exhaust was modifed omfg u shud hear the wasp off it... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Lol sorry moffett be on pit only.... There is 4 fields that are bad enough.. and on road there is one road very bad..... espically wit the ice ..... 590s? a 8210 wud be nice. or 7810. fords drawing wit our zetor ...... maybe a john deere 6610-6810 on harvester.

Hopefully the ice will be gone by the time you are doing the silage:D

• Advertisement

RO 06 wrote: »
    Hopefully the ice will be gone by the time you are doing the silage:D
    it wud help anyway if it was gone .:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

I love 8210s .. i drove one drawing silage unreal tractor to go and the exhaust was modifed omfg u shud hear the wasp off it... :cool:

8210s are quite slow on the road though?*Only a 25k box I thought, and definitely lower geared than a 7810. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Lovely looking tractor though.

There are always cheap big tractors cropping up on donedeal.

maidhc wrote: »
    8210s are quite slow on the road though?*Only a 25k box I thought, and definitely lower geared than a 7810. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Lovely looking tractor though.

There are always cheap big tractors cropping up on donedeal.
    are they only 25k? i thought they was 32k box?

http://www.farmadverts.ie/item/146

The 8100 is a bit of a legend
    Simple plenty of power, will mow handy enough also

http://www.farmadverts.ie/item/146

The 8100 is a bit of a legend
    Simple plenty of power, will mow handy enough also
    she abit rough.. and i know him he from aglish isnt he a contractor..?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1102576 spend 2-3k on it and still have cheap power ;)

• Advertisement

she abit rough.. and i know him he from aglish isnt he a contractor..?

Havent a notion boss
    judt done a google on 8100 he one of the first irish ones

yes i see but we wudnt go for that.. only zetor,new holland john deere. ford or massey fergeson.. but nothing below 1988....

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1077769

Ford 7610 2wd sq .

all lights working , steering very good ,in very good working order ,all glass in cab

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1077769

Ford 7610 2wd sq .

all lights working , steering very good ,in very good working order ,all glass in cab
    thanks red but i say she needs to be bigger and 4wd.. maybe 7810s wud be enough... series III

thanks red but i say she needs to be bigger and 4wd.. maybe 7810s wud be enough... series III

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1098943 eight and a half dont forget to ask if theres anti freeze in her :D

• Advertisement

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1098943 eight and a half dont forget to ask if theres anti freeze in her :D
    lol block proably cracked..... ah no.. :D

dont need a lowloader...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 D.Watson

If I were you I'd get the best 900 you can a couple of good silage trailers mower and hire in the tractors til you see how it goes. A 900 is a good harvester once it's kept away from stones. On a two mile draw you'd be kept busy drawing from one.

Everything will need to be in tip top shape because one break down even a burst hose, blocked filter, puncture could be the difference between getting your silage in or not in good conditions.

D.Watson wrote: »
    If I were you I'd get the best 900 you can a couple of good silage trailers mower and hire in the tractors til you see how it goes. A 900 is a good harvester once it's kept away from stones. On a two mile draw you'd be kept busy drawing from one.

Everything will need to be in tip top shape because one break down even a burst hose, blocked filter, puncture could be the difference between getting your silage in or not in good conditions.
    thanks d.watson. wud 2 trailers keep harvester going or wud it need the third.? well maybe hire in a tractor for harverster only

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

thanks d.watson. wud 2 trailers keep harvester going or wud it need the third.? well maybe hire in a tractor for harverster only
    Well it would depend what size trailer your talkin," 20 fts might do ye but you`d probably be better off with 3 16 or 18 foot trailers.
    Have ye a grouper on the mower? If ye are only picking 10ft swathes ye wont be as pushed.

dont need a lowloader...

Might find someone willing to swap a Low loader for a silage trailer!
    Or make it opay its way the rest of the year moving machines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Surely a wagon is the way forward for you, no need to be messing around with 3 trailers, loads of people etc.

You could get a TM 135 for 30k, an 8360 for less or hire in a big tractor for a few days, have your Zetor on the mower and Moffett on pit. You wouldn't even need to stop for milking as only 2 people needed full time at the silage, mower man could do milking

So really all you need to buy is a wagon, you could pick up a very good one for 30-35k (and maybe 130hp but that would be your choice) You should easily do it inside your 65k budget

That or bales which would be a lot cheaper even to get set up in but don't think you want bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

do you not have a neighbour that you could share the investment with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Surely a wagon is the way forward for you, no need to be messing around with 3 trailers, loads of people etc.

You could get a TM 135 for 30k, an 8360 for less or hire in a big tractor for a few days, have your Zetor on the mower and Moffett on pit. You wouldn't even need to stop for milking as only 2 people needed full time at the silage, mower man could do milking

If he's hauling silage 3 miles then a wagon is a non-runner, he'd need 3 of em!

Correct me if i'm a wrong but i thought only the biggest wagons could do a max of 50ac per day when the crop is next to the pit. A 6 mile round trip would surely cut this by half??

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    do you not have a neighbour that you could share the investment with
    nop we got no one wit big enough acres wit us

dasheriff wrote: »
    Well it would depend what size trailer your talkin," 20 fts might do ye but you`d probably be better off with 3 16 or 18 foot trailers.
    Have ye a grouper on the mower? If ye are only picking 10ft swathes ye wont be as pushed.
    maybe 2 16s and on 18ft trailer? and ya might aswell get a grouper for it..... i wudnt do wagon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

looking through your posts there and your a very thankfull person John Deere 6920 :cool:

wagon out of the question for that many miles alright, self propelled means more attention to detail and you'd have to have a good machinery head. are ye dry stock or milking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

cjpm wrote: »
    If he's hauling silage 3 miles then a wagon is a non-runner, he'd need 3 of em!

Correct me if i'm a wrong but i thought only the biggest wagons could do a max of 50ac per day when the crop is next to the pit. A 6 mile round trip would surely cut this by half??

3 miles for a 100 acres, didn't see that

Bit far alright

Tipp Man wrote: »
    3 miles for a 100 acres, didn't see that

Bit far alright
    ya it long.... too long

John_F wrote: »
    looking through your posts there and your a very thankfull person John Deere 6920 :cool:

wagon out of the question for that many miles alright, self propelled means more attention to detail and you'd have to have a good machinery head. are ye dry stock or milking?
    thanks ?:P we are milking and cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hoverman

Hi everybody, I'm new on here but heres my two cents worth. JF900 is a nice machine and cheap to maintain provided you dont have stones, (had a few of them and did 1000's of acres), runs well with approx 120hp, likes a good swarth, better to operate slow in 20 than fast in 10, a 16 is ideal but it has to be tidy. Expect an output adverage of 30-35 acres/day. The 1050 has a much higher output but is power hungry compared to the 900,(everything is running faster and drum is wider), big advantage is the wider pickup. There was a really good one:) in McCarty's Cork but its probably sold.
    Is the Moffet an MF or New Holland version? if its an MF expect the gear driving the 4wd to break if used on silage work!!!!
    A wagon will be as good as the 900 even at 3 miles out but you will need a somthing like a large Pottinger Jumbo and at least 250hp (been there too!)and one seriously good pilot.
    Second hand self propelled, forget it unless you spend big money or a big repair budget.
    Last but not least, always allow for breakdowns and unless you have a mixture of diesel and hydraulic oil in your blood and spanners for hands get a good contractor in.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

cjpm wrote: »
    Have to disagree ;)

In our area, say if we were to ring the contractor six months in advance, and set a particular date, say May 28th, and if it rained up to from the 20th to the 1st of June, then obviously he would be way behind in his schedule and might cut it on the 7th. Nobody's fault, just the weather..... Every other contractor would be in the same situation, no point calling them to cut it.

However say i have the fields shut since the 1st of April (or indeed not grazed at all) then you can imagine that the quality of the silage would plummit as it would be way too heavy, and might be beginning to rot at the base. Sure what can you do...

However i can see JD6920's point, if i had the labour available too, i'd be doing mine, in the first dry spell of weather. For us anyway from about 1998 to 2008 it was almost impossible to get hold of any guys i'd trust to haul silage on a public road, we're not in the habit of taking chances with youngfellas...

Buy the way JD6920, do your sums before investing in anything, if i were you i'd totally forget the idea of a self propelled and would be thinking more along the lines of an older trailed machine. And if the sums still don't add up, keep the contractor and consider spending your few bob on a diet feeder as Colmm23 suggests.

Ha,
    Im 18 and having mowed with a 210 hp case with two 10ft mowers I can say that the auld boys with your attitude were slightley reluctant to have a 16 year old coming a day before the rest of the boys to mow there silage...
    But eventually they got over my age and started treating me normally.
    All im saying is that if 70 y.o bachelors can get over the fact im a "youngfella" ye too might notice young operators are much more careful and in some cases many times more competent than ye auld boys.

Also Whelan1 is dead on.If we get a call from 2 lads to go mow for them,one lad who pays on the day and the other who pays next march,it doesnt take a genius to figure out who we'll go to first;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

pajero12 wrote: »
    ye too might notice young operators are much more careful and in some cases many times more competent than ye auld boys.

spot on there IMO, eventhough I doubt cjpm fits into the 70 yo category :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

corkcomp wrote: »
    spot on there IMO, eventhough I doubt cjpm fits into the 70 yo category :D

:D Fair enough,just an example:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

pajero12 wrote: »
    ye too might notice young operators are much more careful and in some cases many times more competent than ye auld boys.

Whoa Pajero12 relax, i'm sure you are a great driver and i've seen plenty of young lads myself who are absolutely top notch. I was just using the term to illustrate the point of the difficulty of getting good drivers with experience.

I'm not too long outta school myself, and in fact a lot of guys would probably still refer to me as a youngfella!!

I'll tell ye a good one. While we were in school a lad in my class would always be on about machinery and would spend every spare minute driving a tractor. He was absolutly useless, but a contractor hired him anyway, cheap labour... I heard a fair few stories about his exploits, none too good! One time he was rotavating for a fella, driving a 150hp JD and a new 540rpm rotavator. Problem was that he was driving the rotavator with the 1000rpm box of the tractor and the tractor was opened up to the very last. He knew well that it was only 540rpm, however he wasn't bothered about the harm that he might do. Needless to say there wasn't much of a rotavator left at the end of the day ;)
    Guys like him tend to give young fellas a bad name!

Anyway my original point was that for me to hire a fella, most of the top lads in the place would already be driving for some one else so the choice i'd be left with for my 2-3 days work wouldn't be great, just how it go's.

And just to balance the post, a neighbour of mine, about 60ish has been baling squares every summer since school, yet he still has not grasped the logic of operating a bale sledge... and indeed never will!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Hoverman wrote: »
    Hi everybody, I'm new on here but heres my two cents worth. JF900 is a nice machine and cheap to maintain provided you dont have stones, (had a few of them and did 1000's of acres), runs well with approx 120hp, likes a good swarth, better to operate slow in 20 than fast in 10, a 16 is ideal but it has to be tidy. Expect an output adverage of 30-35 acres/day. The 1050 has a much higher output but is power hungry compared to the 900,(everything is running faster and drum is wider), big advantage is the wider pickup. There was a really good one:) in McCarty's Cork but its probably sold.
    Is the Moffet an MF or New Holland version? if its an MF expect the gear driving the 4wd to break if used on silage work!!!!
    A wagon will be as good as the 900 even at 3 miles out but you will need a somthing like a large Pottinger Jumbo and at least 250hp (been there too!)and one seriously good pilot.
    Second hand self propelled, forget it unless you spend big money or a big repair budget.
    Last but not least, always allow for breakdowns and unless you have a mixture of diesel and hydraulic oil in your blood and spanners for hands get a good contractor in.

Lot of sense being spoken in this post. Summarises this whole thread pretty well IMO

Lot of sense being spoken in this post. Summarises this whole thread pretty well IMO
    yes interesting..

Advertisement