Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networks finally coping with Nw Years

• 01-01-2010 4:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

Having done the rounds of New years messages, it seems that the networks have finally been able to deal with the volume increase of sms messages around midnight jan 31st.

For years it seemed that you might not get any texts through for upwards of 12 hours.

Either that or people are more sober and are replying faster.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 willie mason

Maybe...

I'm on meteor and didn't get any delivery reports for messages I sent after, at least, 22:00. I know that some of them sent because of replies. Will I get a glut of reports in the morning or will I forever wonder: What might have been...:D

Will some techies know, here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,447 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine turning off acknowledgements centrally would cut down on a lot of network traffic in the core few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 willie mason

Victor wrote: »
    I imagine turning off acknowledgements centrally would cut down on a lot of network traffic in the core few hours.

Thought as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I subscribe to "live" delivery reports - you know the kind where people are sober and reply.

I wonder if the migration to 3G has changed sms handling because I recall a good few years back getting something like 50-100 happy new years messages in a stream after noon new years day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Having just ported away from meteor today i'd imagine the people who send em are too scabby to spend 7 cent on me soo I got few but it could all change...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Messages sent from o2 were delayed for me but everyone elses arrived on my phone pretty much immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Ha ha are you joking had up to 2 hour delays from anyone on o2 made a mess of my night all other networks seemed ok and reports came back straight away. Come on o2 no need for that. I'm on vodafone by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

IMHO i think that people are just more aware that there will be a meltdown and just tend to send them earlier.
    Most of my messages arrived between 8 and 10.30 with practically every one stating the expected traffic to be the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

O2 website tee totally off the air at the moment. Looks like they had a bad night :)

Edit: Oh dear, that's 2 hours now. Wonder did someone at O2 forget to pay a bill ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

long_b wrote: »
    O2 website tee totally off the air at the moment. Looks like they had a bad night :)

Edit: Oh dear, that's 2 hours now. Wonder did someone at O2 forget to pay a bill ?

Their mobile internet seems shagged as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

o2 website is down...still not up..looks like o2 employees are off today ;-)
    not sure if my scheduled online msg were sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

Their mobile internent seems shagged as well.

It's their DNS thats not working. If you change your DNS settings to google's new service:

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 all will be well.

Their www.o2.ie site is still down though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

02 = ****e no prob with any other networks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Pineapple_Boi

there were delays of a few hours on meteor i think. actually i had no coverage at all yesterday. doesn't really bother me though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Vodafone was grand for me last night. All texts sent for me immediately at a minute past midnight and any incoming texts (bar from O2) came in pretty much straightaway too.

Advertisement