Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy New Year!

Options
  • 01-01-2010 4:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

...too all the 7 of us on here. (I'll give you a second to count the 7 :pac:) Toom, give me somewhere to sleep for one night and I'll go to a Leeds match next year! :P

Tonight before I went out I caught a little of the Super League review of the year. Just wow. The athleticism, the speed, the skill. Nothing ****in beats it. And ya know what, I'm almost glad no-one knows about it. I'll point it out to them and they'll nod. And if that's all they're gonna do then they're ****in philistines. They're cheer on lads earning in a week what Paleeasina gets in a year, who do ****in nothin. How does no-one else appreciate this!?! It's the best sport in the world. It's like war. Every time there's a PTB the battle lines are redrawn. If the top 40 League players switched to Union there'd be a legal nightmare of contracts being bought out.
    Every time I see a kick-off and sear 5,000 people build up to the tackle then every one of them sharply intaking breath it sends shivers down my spine.

Right I'm rambling, but I can't explain my love for this game in any better terms!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Also I just realised the difference between Leeds and Saints. Leeds do the quiet stuff again and again til it works. It's more effective than the runn-y stuff but it doesn't look as good.

Another thing I love about this sport, a lot of tries look like bad defending. Til you see 2 matches or play a game of touch. :pac: It's those close tackles, those "lucky" runs or off-loads that make the difference.

One of the commentators mentioned about Australia, what makes them strong is their set-pieces. They aren't dummy runners, they're options.
    And every ****in one of them is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

there only 7?

Happy new year folks

will make more of an effort to post in the new season

COYB!

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    there only 7?

Happy new year folks

will make more of an effort to post in the new season

COYB!

You ****in better make an effort! Sick of the echo in here! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

amacachi wrote: »
    You ****in better make an effort! Sick of the echo in here! :P

yeah i tend to read a lot

since moving to ireland RL has taken a back seat and im annoyed at myself for that. struggle to get people to watch games with me/pubs to show matches

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    yeah i tend to read a lot

since moving to ireland RL has taken a back seat and im annoyed at myself for that. struggle to get people to watch games with me/pubs to show matches

Try being brought up here. :P Think I spent the whole night in the pub and the club tryin to explain what's so great about it. Sure I couldn't even get a barman to put on a match in 2008 when it was just me at the bar in this ****in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Happy New Year to you all.

Having been in Ireland for 21 years now my passion for RL has not diminished, in fact I think it has increased!

The proliferation of sports channels has meant that you view other sports and games from around the world, this only increases my appreciation of Superleague.

I have long since given up my attempt to 'convert' (pardon the pun) people to RL, the anarchy of gaelic games and Union is far too ingrained for them to appreciate the nuances, discipline and skills required for League.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

and a happy new year to all 7ish of us

.. I was listening to the radio the other evening in the car and the sports news was all about soccer (a dreaded round-ball game) and I suddenly realised that if I was to just take a minor trip through a nearby wormhole I could emerge as a soccer fan and then I'd have sport available all the time, day and night and my woes linked to following a minority sport would vanish and I'd be as happy as everyone else in the pub.

*sighs*

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

old gregg wrote: »

.. I was listening to the radio the other evening in the car and the sports news was all about soccer (a dreaded round-ball game) and I suddenly realised that if I was to just take a minor trip through a nearby wormhole I could emerge as a soccer fan and then I'd have sport available all the time, day and night and my woes linked to following a minority sport would vanish and I'd be as happy as everyone else in the pub.

*sighs*

I'll get me coat.

Console yourself with the mantra "Quality not quantity" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

old gregg wrote: »

Can I echo all previous happy new year-esque sentiments....

As for the forum, Surely we must have a lurker or two..no? I know a few union boys with closet league tendancies, but they just can't face the reality of what they are :D...lets hope they come out this year.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Belated Happy New Year (and apologies for no Christmas greeting!) to everyone on here. Think its still a great forum and one I always head for on Boards, have learnt a lot about the game from this forum, from people who know SO much about it. For a newish convert to the game, its great!

Just wondered if anyone has ever got a ban from here, and if so, what for!

Oh, and roll on the 30th January for the start of the "summer" game at the Stoop!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement